DeLorean Motor Company considering rescuing Pontiac Solstice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeLorean Motor Company considering rescuing Pontiac Solstice

Rumormill: DeLorean Motor Company considering rescuing Pontiac Solstice?

Originally posted by autoblog.com
    General Motors has made a science out of sharing platforms. So when the company's Kappa platform was introduced for a new rear-drive roadster to be distributed across three different motor divisions, you'd have figured the program was pretty safe, right? Unfortunately for the workers at the Wilmington Assembly Plant which manufactured the Kappa roadsters, those three divisions were Pontiac, Saturn and Opel – three units which the General has either sold or shut down. Which is a shame, because a perfectly good rear-drive roadster platform is a heck of a thing to waste.

In one of the strangest rumors we've heard recently, however, our compatriots over at Jalopnik – fueled by 1.21 gigawatts a Facebook message from DMC – are reporting that the DeLorean Motor Company (yes, that DeLorean Motor Company) is considering buying the plant and the platform from GM and putting it back into production as a new DMC.

The company's current management is speculating whether their founder, who had a long history with Pontiac, would have tried to save the dying motor division, and are reportedly encouraged by the prospect of putting the Willmington workforce back to work. At this point, there's no telling how realistic the prospects are – after all, today's DMC does little more than service the old DeLoreans and word 'round Detroit was that the Kappas were notoriously costly to build and something of a money pit.

Either way, the company has reportedly acquired a Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe for closer consideration. And we're sure there's an aftermarket garage out there somewhere that could outfit the coupe with gullwing doors...and who knows, maybe even a little Mr. Fusion for flex-fuel capacity.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/07/rumo ... pontiac-s/

I dident even know they were still in business!
    http://www.delorean.com/index.html

....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
    .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

DeLorean Motor Company considering rescuing Pontiac Solstice

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

DeLorean is a legacy mobility company focused on redefining human connections through creative technologies.

Rumormill: DeLorean Motor Company considering rescuing Pontiac Solstice?
    by Noah Joseph (RSS feed) on Oct 7th 2009 at 10:59AM

DeLorean Motor Company Pontiac Solstice renderings – Click above for high-res image gallery

General Motors has made a science out of sharing platforms. So when the company's Kappa platform was introduced for a new rear-drive roadster to be distributed across three different motor divisions, you'd have figured the program was pretty safe, right? Unfortunately for the workers at the Wilmington Assembly Plant which manufactured the Kappa roadsters, those three divisions were Pontiac, Saturn and Opel – three units which the General has either sold or shut down. Which is a shame, because a perfectly good rear-drive roadster platform is a heck of a thing to waste.

In one of the strangest rumors we've heard recently, however, our compatriots over at Jalopnik – fueled by //1.21 gigawatts\\ a Facebook message from DMC – are reporting that the DeLorean Motor Company (yes, that DeLorean Motor Company) is considering buying the plant and the platform from GM and putting it back into production as a new DMC.

The company's current management is speculating whether their founder, who had a long history with Pontiac, would have tried to save the dying motor division, and are reportedly encouraged by the prospect of putting the Willmington workforce back to work. At this point, there's no telling how realistic the prospects are – after all, today's DMC does little more than service the old DeLoreans and word 'round Detroit was that the Kappas were notoriously costly to build and something of a money pit.

Either way, the company has reportedly acquired a Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe for closer consideration. And we're sure there's an aftermarket garage out there somewhere that could outfit the coupe with gullwing doors...and who knows, maybe even a little Mr. Fusion for flex-fuel capacity.
    I see this as possibly happening..... DMC is in a revival state with people snatching up tons of reproductions lately.. they could make $, Plus, Pontiac = John DeLoreon anyway.. it is their fate!
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Re: DeLorean Motor Company considering rescuing Pontiac Solstice

That would be pretty sick!!!

Originally posted by BAMBAMM
      I'm about the best wingman in the San Joaquin Valley...........I'm the guy that will hit on the ugly friend, so you can swoop in and bag the hottie friend.

Comment

slow woody! ha ha ha ! I posted it first!
        ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
        .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

That would be pretty sick!!!

WTF......... Dejavu?!?!!?

Originally posted by BAMBAMM
          I'm about the best wingman in the San Joaquin Valley...........I'm the guy that will hit on the ugly friend, so you can swoop in and bag the hottie friend.

Comment

Merged the two threads.
            Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms

2005 CGM GTO.
            386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
            2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

this could be good
              2006 Pontiac G6 V6-Too many mods-Traded In(RIP 2006-2010)
              2008 G8 GT-TSP Forged LS3-Procharger-219/231 RCR Cam-TSP Ported L92's-Squash-Kooks-Solo 3in-SS Wheels and Brakes-Demon8-BMR-BC Racing Coilovers-Custom Earls Tranny Cooler
              613/543 @11.5psi Old Numbers
              11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft
              New numbers coming soon........

Comment

What's interesting is in the comments and such.. people are saying why they don't try to save the Pontiac brand itself and bring them over. However, counter agument to that is that people think GM is hanging onto the Pontiac name for a future revival.

2005 CGM GTO.

Comment

The Oldsmobile people use to say the same thing and last time I checked there still dead. Sorry guys Pontiac is dead and IMO will NEVER be revival, I hope im wrong but I dont think I am.

But this is something entirely different and may have a chance but I dought it.

Comment

Originally posted by jedi3
                    The Oldsmobile people use to say the same thing and last time I checked there still dead. Sorry guys Pontiac is dead and IMO will NEVER be revival, I hope im wrong but I dont think I am.

Yea I agree. Same thing like Plymouth as well.

2005 CGM GTO.

Comment

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                      Originally posted by snowmanG6
                      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
                        Originally posted by jedi3

Yea I agree. Same thing like Plymouth as well.

this never ended up happening http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/19/retu ... ackled-to/

Comment

The Cuda was made.

Mr. Norm's 426 Hemi Cuda Convertible - Click above for an image gallery We can't help but think what could have been with the Dodge Challenger. Had Chrys

They are made specially though with a donor Challenger.. same company that does Convertable mods for them.

2005 CGM GTO.

Comment

Not to mention TransAm

More Cuda
                            Mr. Norm's 426 Hemi Cuda Convertible - Click above for a high-res image gallery With Chrysler's woes leaving plenty of room to go gangbusters with Dodge

2005 CGM GTO.

Comment

The Cuda was made.

Mr. Norm's 426 Hemi Cuda Convertible - Click above for an image gallery We can't help but think what could have been with the Dodge Challenger. Had Chrys

They are made specially though with a donor Challenger.. same company that does Convertable mods for them.
                              the hood scoop on the purple one is IMO too small and dosent follow the lines of the car. The vert isent bad.

I give him props for trying and all the work it took but IMO he just missed the mark on it. Still looks like a modified Camaro IMO and the taillights are ugly.

he should of tried to do this one instead. (second row) http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/12/conf ... or-camaro/

Comment

Working...
                              X