Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The AC Line issue - Finally the REAL CAUSE! (and the fix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The AC Line issue - Finally the REAL CAUSE! (and the fix)

Okay, so I've been pondering this for some time now. I have absolutely no problem with my AC lines so I went under the hood and did some digging. I yanked the lines around, pulled, pushed, etc. I got nothing, still plenty of space, even enough for some bumping around with no touching. SO... one last hard pull. (DO NOT TRY THIS, you could break something) Then, FINALLY, they were different. I didn't hear a snap, pop, crack, nothing.. but the lines were hanging down.

So I started looking around.

Here's what I found....

Mounted to the firewall is a plastic bracket/clip that holds the large AC line in place. This clip is a piece of shit. Totally, it's one of the most difficult to use clips I've seen on this entire car. If you ask me, I'd say the additional clips on the top of the line (that connect to the factory air box) were ADDED because this clip sucks so much. Anyway...

After popping the line back in place, everything lined up fine, plenty of space, etc. Everything is perfect (again)
    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

good to know, but if you had to yank it that hard to get it to pop out how would it do it on its own? i know i wasn't putting any pressure on my a/c lines at all when i installed my intake.

Comment

Maybe they just forgot to snap it into place at the factory? Anyway nice find, I don't have a problem with mine but I'll still check it out.

Comment

Or you may have hit the AC line hard enough when you were pulling out the air box that it unsnapped it from that clip.

sigpic
        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I think it's both. I can only imagine people yanking the crap out of it or knocking it out when removing the box (read: you shouldn't be working on your car if you do this sort of thing! )

On the other hand, it is VERY difficult to pop it back in to the clip. You have to push the line ALL the way to the very back of the clip (hard to do because the clip moves with you when you push on it. If it doesn't go in all the way, it will slowly (a couple seconds, not immediately) slide right back out. Probably factory workers just pushing it in place and moving on to the next one. Not realizing of course that it has come out, obviously. That's why I said the top clips are the only thing saving this from immediate failure, even on stock vehicles.
          2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

Is that clip metal or plastic? Just wondering...

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
              good to know, but if you had to yank it that hard to get it to pop out how would it do it on its own? i know i wasn't putting any pressure on my a/c lines at all when i installed my intake.
              Then you did it properly! I didn't stand on top of the engine and pull with both hands or anything, but I gave it a good tug (sorta like a frustrated beginner, trying to get the stubborn box out). Anybody familiar with mechanical stuff would know that the pull was too hard, you might even cringe a bit.
              2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
                Is that clip metal or plastic? Just wondering...
                Plastic.
                2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

oh that thing's always popping out of that clip on my car when I'm tinkering under the hood. Never comes out by itself though. It pops right back in for me very easily though.
                  -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

thanks for pointing at the AC line in the last pic i wasn't sure which we were talking about
                    -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                    Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

well said :warped:
                        -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                        Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Good job on resolving that issue.
                          G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                          Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                          Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                          20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

ill be damned...... wtg....will check mine tomorow

Comment

Now that I look at it I don't know...that first pic Kyle posted shows the lines pretty close to the belts...even when my lines fall out of that clip they aren't that close to the belts.
                              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Working...
                              X