HPTuners, custom-tuning for the G6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPTuners, custom-tuning for the G6

Hey again. As promised, my writeup on what changes/mods I can offer for the G6 crowd.

For a basic tune, where applicable:

- Torque Management reduction or delete
    - Minor Auto-trans changes (I seldom get asked for this, but it can be done)
    - Spark Timing changes
    - Redline adjust
    - Top-speed adjust
    - Speedometer error adjust (for those that have bigger wheels)
    - Revision of all other parameters that would allow/optimize open-loop mode (throttle position, enrichment rate, etc)

I can tune 2006-2007 3.9 V6 and the 2.4L 4-cylinder.

I'm located in Orlando, Florida area. Being that I have the GM-version for HPtuners, I can also tune almost anything else out there that's a current-year (OBDII) Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Pontiac, and Saturn.

Let me know if you have any questions.

- John

hopefully someone will do something to get me back into wanting the 3.5 lol!!
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

You work in the Orlando area? I live about 30-45 minutes away.. Once I get my exhaust, I might look into getting a tune. What are your price ranges?
      Current Mods: Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI and GT-R Exhaust. Tune Time TUNE! 6000 K HIDs, MPD Hood.

Originally posted by GTPprix
      My sister's cousin's niece who married a guy who delivers paper towels to a guy who knows a girl whose brother is a cabinet member for nObama said that GM just imploded 20 minutes ago.

Comment

Do you have base maps for the 3.9L manual? I really don't feel like making the entire map.

Also according to you website you have the buy the $650 version to get datalogging. Is that true?
        04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
        Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

Sorry I've been out of touch these past few days. I'm gonna use all of your previous quotes as Q&A to answer in the same post below.

simplyred wrote
          "hopefully someone will do something to get me back into wanting the 3.5 lol!!"

Unfortunately I don't believe they support the 3.5L V6. Maybe in a later revision, or if enough people start badgering HPTuners to figure out something for it. It could also be the "marketing demand" for it. We (in coloradofans.com) waited what seemed ages before HPTuners FINALLY stepped up to the plate and offered tuning abilities for the Colorado 2.8L 4-cyl and 3.5L I5. Everyone else (y'all know who the popular hand-held programmer/tuner providers are, don't want to name them here) kept saying "coming soon" or "in the future" and to my knowledge never did. THEN when H3 came out (3.5L) is when the rest of them apparently concurred "yeah, we need to make something now". Too late: HPTuners to my knowledge came out first and I like the fact that I can control what changes I want.

Skotbb wrote:
          "You work in the Orlando area? I live about 30-45 minutes away.. Once I get my exhaust, I might look into getting a tune. What are your price ranges?"

For a basic tune (like what I've listed above, meaning as much of that list that I can do for you in the first visit), I'm going to be fair and stick to $150 flat-rate the first-time around. No gas-fare if you're in the Orlando area, and of course if you're outside of Orlando I'll have to work something out with you guys but I'm not gonna be a jerk and go crazy guesstimating ridiculout mileage rates either. Should you feel the need to make revisions, or go back to stock real-quick for a visit to the dealership for warranty-work then want your tune back, I wouldn't charge again for that (just gas-fare).

Now, if we're having to dyno to figure out the AFR (from renting time at a local dynoshop + hooking up a WidebandO2 sensor), then that would be the customer's responsibility to pay their end of that part of the effort, and all you'd pay to me would be the same $150. If I owned a dynoshop and all that equipment they use, then of course pricing would vary with that. PM me if you have further questions.

mbiker97 wrote:
          "Do you have base maps for the 3.9L manual? I really don't feel like making the entire map."

Do you mean the VE tables? Hmmmm, no I wouldn't change those personally unless you're doing some major rework (headers, turbo'ed/supercharging, and stuff). And if you wanted to start digging into the VE tables we'd need to find a dynoshop location that we can reserve time to use their machine and Wideband O2 sensor to make sure your AFRs go as intended. There ARE other ways to try tuning that if we really had to, but it's more time-consuming (dialing in your STFT's, LTFT's, MAF, etc.).

Now, if you meant "spark-timing tables / fuel-maps", we can probably change those if I saw what's there now. No one in the HPTuners forum has offered up theirs, so probably nobody there has it.

mbiker97 wrote:
          "Also according to you website you have the buy the $650 version to get datalogging. Is that true?"

Both versions have the Editor to make your changes, and the ability to datalog vehicle operation with the help of a laptop to interface with your vehicle. The main difference between the $500 Standard version and the $650 Enhanced version is that with the Enhanced you can datalog without having to have your computer with you (you'd program into the module what you want to scan for, use it as a standalone "black box" recorder, then go back to your computer and read out what it recorded). The Enhanced also has the ability to interface with a Wideband O2 sensor-module so you can see in your scanner how AFR's are moving around with the rest of the parameters you're searching for. Otherwise, if you have the Standard, you'd just have to use a dynoshop to get an RPM-vs-AFR graph to see where to tweak your fuel ratio, then retest back on your scanner to make sure everything else is in order. There's a few more "technical" stuff the Enhanced can do that is outside the scope of basic tuning, and I myself haven't tapped into that yet.

Comment

Thanks a lot for you response. I have a Horiba wideband so I'm not worried about that. I've done road tuning before to get it close and then the dyno for that last little bit.

I don't know what VEs are, so I'm not totally understanding your answer. It looks like if something is programmed on the current ECU I can redo those with hptuners right?

Do you work for them or just have a commercial license for the software?
            04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:

Comment

Originally posted by mbiker97
              Thanks a lot for you response. I have a Horiba wideband so I'm not worried about that. I've done road tuning before to get it close and then the dyno for that last little bit.

I don't know what VEs are, so I'm not totally understanding your answer. It looks like if something is programmed on the current ECU I can redo those with hptuners right?

Do you work for them or just have a commercial license for the software?
              Correct, whatever HPTuners (the company) was able to read out of the computer that is part of the Flash-able architecture, is what you can change with HPTuners. At least for GM, it has been my understanding that they seem to have a chipset that can be flashed, while other stuff you cannot change.

For example, the Colorados have Variable-Exhaust-Valve Timing (VVT). You CANNOT modify what cam-angles to tell the computer to hold (though it would be nice if you could), but you CAN specify, based on what cam values it fluctuates throughout operation, what VE table to look at depending on what your cam-profile range is, in order to optimize operation. So in my case, if I'm cruising at a relatively fixed highway speed the computer already determines at what cam range to stay on...there's a VE table that the computer will refer to in order to know how to behave; if I stomp it then the computer pics a different cam-profile, and there's a table for that. We have 5 tables in total (min/low/mid/high/max cam-thresholds)...you can now see why I don't mess with that. I haven't tuned a G6 yet (just the Colorados), so I wouldn't be able to tell you what you have (Multi-VE, or static/fixed-VE, etc).

"VE" is "volumetric efficiency". These tables (or table, if it's not a multi-VE vehicle) are what lets the computer anticipate how much air is going to the cylinders in order to optimize engine operation (more air = more fuel, less air = less fuel, basically). I haven't had the need to mess with that because all I have in my Colorado are pretty standard Bolt-ons (Volant intake with a frontal ram-air tube + Dynomax SuperTurbo muffler). Turbo/supercharging, headers, different MAF assembly, etc), then there would be a need to retune VE tables.

No, I do not work for HPTuners, nor am I affiliated with a dynoshop business. I just acquired the software license to be able to use that software on GM vehicles (they are also available for Ford-based and Dodge-based vehicles, respectively).

Comment

Pricing update

Hey guys! Good news. Now I can do Speed-Density Tuning for y'all. If you guys have patiently read my previous post suggesting to leave the VE tables alone if you're mostly-stock, well, got to learn that this weekend.

Long-story short, fellow member with another Colorado just went with a Header on his, so after running it again he noticed the Volumetric Efficiency (VE) was off. So basically, he needed to dial in his mapping tables all over again. Spent some time learning the ropes and decided to try it on my truck. Now, I don't have anything fancy for the exhaust, still a stock manifold with a Dynomax SuperTurbo muffler, so my VE's were pretty close to stock still. But I do have my Volant intake with a ram-air tube, and so my MAF needed to be dialed in a little bit. After doing both of those things, truck feels just a little smoother. We have "drive-by-wire" throttle, and so far that "lag" I used to feel every once in a while has been practically eliminated. It did take me a few testdrives over and over to get it dialed in good, but it was worth it. The newer Trailblazers are of a MAF-less design, so this was a good experience for me in case I wanted to go that route.

Anyway, long story short, for you guys with aftermarket intakes and especially if you're doing a drastic change to the exhaust, like going with headers, I have new pricing on that.

Basing on my "chart" previously posted:
                - Spark Timing changes
                - Redline adjust
                - Top-speed adjust
                - Revision of all other parameters that would allow/optimize open-loop mode (throttle position, enrichment rate, etc)
                This is a fixed $150.

Speed-Density tuning, either to stay in MAF-less mode (unless the G6 is already MAF-less, I don't know), or to dial in your VE tables if you've done extensive intake/exhaust work, just add $25 for just dialing an aftermarket intake ONLY (like a short-ram, etc) for a total of $175. If you've done Headers, but still keeping a stock intake, it's just $175... Though, I can't imagine who would go that route since it's always done in "pairs", i.e. Intake AND Exhaust work. If you've gone the Headers route to compliment your intake, just add another $25, for $200 total.

Stock-guys (aftermarket mufflers, standard swaps), I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe if any of you are using a box-less type of intake, like an K&N FIPK, or an AEM, Injen, etc, then yes, you guys are probably pulling a bit more air.

Your AFRs should still be pretty close, unless as mentioned before you're reserving dyno-time, that's all in your end if you wish.

Keep in mind that YOU DO NOT NEED TO GO TO A DYNO SHOP TO GET A TUNE FROM ME. They can be done without having to go to a dynoshop, the same way I've done them. If you're trying to get a baseline run vs power increases after the tune, or if you're trying to double-check your air-fuel ratio, THEN I'd recommend you need to setup time to go to a dyno. When I look at your Fuel-Trims (STFTs/LTFTs) it'll tell me whether or not you're running rich OR lean, and I can adjust your fuel-ratio based on that. Like I said, I was still pretty close with my VEs for just the exhaust, the Intake on mine since it's not stock was the only thin to dial in, and it was only a %5 LEAN LTFT error to correct (computer had to input %6 more fuel to correct for the extra air flowing in). I expect my fuel economy to improve "just a little" now that I've dialed that in correctly.

Hope to do business with y'all. Keep me posted or PM.

Comment

NEW PRICING!!!

Well folks, it's been brought to my attention that my pricing is a little...well...unfair?

Starting October2nd I'm offering new discounted priced for full-tuning capability within knowledge and reason, for a discounted price.

$120 - 2.4L 4-cylinder GT
                  $135 - 3.9L V6 GTP

Hope to hear from y'all.

John

Comment

Re: NEW PRICING!!!

Originally posted by vorteci5fan

$135 - 3.9L V6 GXP
                    GTP?
                    Originally posted by TLS2000
                    Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                    GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Originally posted by beitodesstrafe

$135 - 3.9L V6 GXP
                      GTP?
                      Yes, the one with the bigger of the two V6's (I thought there was "another level" above "GTP" for some reason).

As of now they still don't offer tuning capabilities for the 3.5L V6.

Comment

As of now they still don't offer tuning capabilities for the 3.5L V6.

Well, tell them to hop to it! j/k
                        Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
                          GTP?
                          Send me a pm....we may be able to figure something out as a team.

Comment

yeah unfortunatly there really hasnt been any demand for the GTP motor which is why its still not supported
                            Become a part of something BIG! Join Our Forum!

HP Tuners VCM Suite Standard $499, Pro $649!

Comment

Re: Pricing update

Hey guys! Good news. Now I can do Speed-Density Tuning for y'all. If you guys have patiently read my previous post suggesting to leave the VE tables alone if you're mostly-stock, well, got to learn that this weekend.

Long-story short, fellow member with another Colorado just went with a Header on his, so after running it again he noticed the Volumetric Efficiency (VE) was off. So basically, he needed to dial in his mapping tables all over again. Spent some time learning the ropes and decided to try it on my truck. Now, I don't have anything fancy for the exhaust, still a stock manifold with a Dynomax SuperTurbo muffler, so my VE's were pretty close to stock still. But I do have my Volant intake with a ram-air tube, and so my MAF needed to be dialed in a little bit. After doing both of those things, truck feels just a little smoother. We have "drive-by-wire" throttle, and so far that "lag" I used to feel every once in a while has been practically eliminated. It did take me a few testdrives over and over to get it dialed in good, but it was worth it. The newer Trailblazers are of a MAF-less design, so this was a good experience for me in case I wanted to go that route.

Anyway, long story short, for you guys with aftermarket intakes and especially if you're doing a drastic change to the exhaust, like going with headers, I have new pricing on that.

Basing on my "chart" previously posted:
                              - Spark Timing changes
                              - Redline adjust
                              - Top-speed adjust
                              This is a fixed $150.

Speed-Density tuning, either to stay in MAF-less mode (unless the G6 is already MAF-less, I don't know), or to dial in your VE tables if you've done extensive intake/exhaust work, just add $25 for just dialing an aftermarket intake ONLY (like a short-ram, etc) for a total of $175. If you've done Headers, but still keeping a stock intake, it's just $175... Though, I can't imagine who would go that route since it's always done in "pairs", i.e. Intake AND Exhaust work. If you've gone the Headers route to compliment your intake, just add another $25, for $200 total.

Stock-guys (aftermarket mufflers, standard swaps), I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe if any of you are using a box-less type of intake, like an K&N FIPK, or an AEM, Injen, etc, then yes, you guys are probably pulling a bit more air.

Your AFRs should still be pretty close, unless as mentioned before you're reserving dyno-time, that's all in your end if you wish.

Keep in mind that YOU DO NOT NEED TO GO TO A DYNO SHOP TO GET A TUNE FROM ME. They can be done without having to go to a dynoshop, the same way I've done them. If you're trying to get a baseline run vs power increases after the tune, or if you're trying to double-check your air-fuel ratio, THEN I'd recommend you need to setup time to go to a dyno. When I look at your Fuel-Trims (STFTs/LTFTs) it'll tell me whether or not you're running rich OR lean, and I can adjust your fuel-ratio based on that. Like I said, I was still pretty close with my VEs for just the exhaust, the Intake on mine since it's not stock was the only thin to dial in, and it was only a %5 LEAN LTFT error to correct (computer had to input %6 more fuel to correct for the extra air flowing in). I expect my fuel economy to improve "just a little" now that I've dialed that in correctly.

Hope to do business with y'all. Keep me posted or PM.
                              Just an FYI john Im pretty sure there is no VE table available in G6's because it uses a computer similar to 06+ vettes which dont have a true ve table so have fune doing mafless tuning
                              Become a part of something BIG! Join Our Forum!

HP Tuners VCM Suite Standard $499, Pro $649!

Comment

Working...
                              X