Is one better than the other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is one better than the other

If I have an exhaust set up like gt-r's that is mandrel bent and another one that is not mandrel bent but is wider diameter would the not mandrel bent one provide equal flow? With all of the ninety degree bends in the gt-r system would it just be better to do a custom system that is wider diameter and with less bends if it is crushed bent? I'm not knocking the gt-r system because I'll likely end up buying it but I'm curious.
    bigben

2006 G6 GTP Coupe 6spd

have you taken fluids in high school or college yet? (I'm not trying to be sarcastic)

basically... when a fluid is traveling through a pipe, if the pipe is narrower, it speeds up, if it gets wider, it slows down... and everytime it has to speed up, it will require some force to do so ( in this case power from your engine... and newton says, you are putting this force back on your pistons... making them have to work harder)

so, with a little bit off imagination, you can figure why you want a system that is the same diameter the whole way... also, if the air expands too much, it cools off... and gets denser (thus harder to flow out)

this is why putting a 4inch exhaust system on a civic will give worse performance... the air exits the header, expands in the system and bogs down... you lose scavaging and make your engine work harder
    Originally posted by TLS2000
    Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
    GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

WORD!!

Comment

Jake's explanation is dead-on. Mandrel is the way to go if you have the choice between the two.
        2006 G6 GTP Coupe
        :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
        :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
        :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Originally posted by G6Performance
          Jake's explanation is dead-on. Mandrel is the way to go if you have the choice between the two.
          Wel' I'm very pleased with my choice. My system delivers the goods, the way it is supposed to.
          2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
          Forge Motorsports BPV
          CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
          HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
          HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

Without a doubt, your system kicks ass. but if you had the choice of mandrel or crush (pretend cost was the same) there's no doubt you would have opted for mandrel, no? On a basically stock, naturally aspirated car, the difference will be minimal so long as the bends are done nicely (crush).
            2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by G6Performance
              Without a doubt, your system kicks ass. but if you had the choice of mandrel or crush (pretend cost was the same) there's no doubt you would have opted for mandrel, no? On a basically stock, naturally aspirated car, the difference will be minimal so long as the bends are done nicely (crush).
              The shop did nice machine bends, not the GM style "Crush and Bend ".
              2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
              Forge Motorsports BPV
              CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
              HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
              HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

Mandrel bent would be the only way to go imo, why settle?

Comment

I don't mean the crunch/crimp/wrinkle bend, I meant what you're talking about Keith. Your system is an entirely different animal, it shouldn't be used for comparison here. That system is an all custom dual setup that will probably never be able to be duplicated.

Regardless, system to system, the difference in GAIN is small. But with the GT-R system at $499 (Magnaflow muffler, all stainless piping) why bother getting a custom system made with crush/machine bends for the same (or only marginally less) cost.
                  2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

^^^ Completely agree. I talked to a couple different shops near me and they were all wanting ~$250 for just a new muffler and tips, and to cut my stock system up to mate to it.
                    04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
                    Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

Remember guys my price of $499.99 is for G6 performance members only. I've been selling the system for $649.99 outside the forum without any problems, because it's worth even more, and those folks consider it a bargain at that, probably because other similar systems like mine usually sell around $899.99

-SAM-

Comment

Originally posted by GT-R
                        Remember guys my price of $499.99 is for G6 performance members only. I've been selling the system for $649.99 outside the forum without any problems, because it's worth even more, and those folks consider it a bargain at that, probably because other similar systems like mine usually sell around $899.99

-SAM-
                        Keep me on that waiting list, please!

Comment

Jake, if you weren't trying to be sarcastic you just would've explained it without being a smartass. I don't recall taking a fluids class in highschool and if I did it was about twelve years ago and I have never needed to use it since anyway. This shit is all new to me and I'm just trying to learn it as I go.
                          bigben

2006 G6 GTP Coupe 6spd

Comment

I apologize if it came off sounding like that. I really wasn't trying to sound like a smart ass.

I figured my explination migt be confusing if you hadn't taken Fluids or be condescending, if you had... (hence my disclaimer at the beginning.) Ah well, you do what you gotta do, you know?
                            Originally posted by TLS2000
                            Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                            http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                            GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Cant we all just get along

Comment

Working...
                              X