Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loose tie rod - replace before track day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose tie rod - replace before track day?

So I had my car pre-teched for HPDE at Putnam Park (come watch me try not to wreck our only car!), and although it passed, the inspector noted the right inner tie rod was loose, and recommended having it fixed before tracking it, although strictly speaking it wasn't necessary. I called the local Car-X and they quoted me $141 for parts and $139 for labor (1.5 hrs), and an alignment would be needed totalling > $400. I found an inner tie rod end for $32-$55 on various parts websites, and was wondering if anyone had some insight into this.

This same Car-X did a good job replacing my front brakes (powerslot/hawk), and I'm not inclined to think they're BSing this, but the parts cost sounds high unless there's something I don't understand (likely). If this is going to cost more than $150, I'll probably have to put it off until later, unless it's something that should be fixed ASAP, which neither the tech nor Car-X indicated.

Car: '05 GT, 41K miles
    Yes, absolutely!
    0%
    No, are you nuts?
    0%
    You got insurance, right?
    0%
    Driving on the Dan Ryan qualifies as track time.
    0%
    "Drive fast, take chances" -Danica Patrick

Re: Loose tie rod - replace before track day?

cost sounds hight. id find the part elsewhere and just have them put it on

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Re: Loose tie rod - replace before track day?

Well, she held together! And I must say, was quite a blast on the track. I'll have the shop look at the tie rod next time I take it in (as well as the brakes ;-) )

Going about 70-80 at this point.

I'm jealous of you people with GTP's. If you haven't taken it on the track, you're missing out.
      "Drive fast, take chances" -Danica Patrick

Comment

Working...
      X