Basic air cleaner questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic air cleaner questions

Hi All- This is pretty basic for you , but I searched and couldn't find an answer

I had always changed/cleaned the airfilters on my cars since 19ummm3. The last three (a 95 Thunderbird, 88 and 94 Firebird Formulas) were a pain what with clips, wiggling the airbox, getting the thing to reseat, etc, but doable. Yesterday while wiping down under the hood, I took a good look at the airbox on my 07 2.4. It looks those screws never been touched, but possibly the 3 bolts have? The car has always been dealer serviced (extended warranty, I have no garage, its 100 and bloody 10 degrees out, , you know). In their-and my -defense, the car only has 17000 miles on it, but still.. It is a desert here with dust and all

How much of a PIA is it to change the airfilter? The owners manual says to remove the screws (are they referring to those hex/star nuts?) and unclip the electrical connection, then remove and clean or replace. Will I have any surprises? Like it taking a half hour to get it back on if you don't know the tricks. I don't want to get halfway through and have to call AAA, nor pay the dealer $19+ for labor to do it if I don't have to.

Also , any recommendations for brand of airfilter, other than K&N? I used them on the Birds. They are good, but expensive, and I did have o2 sensor issues.
    Thanks!

Re: Basic air cleaner questions

on the 2.4 take out the 3 bolts (2 in the back, and one in the front) then just lift it up and you're in...

there plenty of slack in the MAF sensor cables to move it out of the way to get to the filter and the tubing bends.

I use the K&N and have had no issues...i don't know of any other filters though.
    2007 G6 2.4L VVT Ecotec- Black Sedan
    Appearance: Tinted Tails, 15% Tint, Black Calipers, Black Overlays and Eyelids, Black Painted Upper Grills, Blacked out door trim, Flowmaster exhaust tip, G5 GT Wheels, Red Interior LEDs, Red LED Dome, removed front plate, added oem fogs
    Performance: WAMS 93 ECU and TCM tune, Injen CAI, and Racingline STB
    Future plans: Red LED Trunk Wiring, Black headlights, exhaust, black rims, eibach springs

Comment

its pretty simple. undo the screews (the torx screews) and it comes apart from there

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn
        its pretty simple. undo the screews (the torx screews) and it comes apart from there
        Cool, thanks. I just happen to have some torx that I've never used I'll give it a shot
        Originally posted by xxbrandonxx
        I use the K&N and have had no issues...i don't know of any other filters though.
        Well, its possible I over-oiled or didn't soak long enough -and the o2 issues came way down the line. They are a fine product, just want to pass on them for now. Had heard or seen some other types in the past (a yellow one?) Can't remember $h#&

Thanks!

Comment

yeah i have a k & n filter too but mine was pre oiled. But it was easy to change.

Dark Steel Gray Metallic 2.4 litre ecotec, 5% lumar tint on the back, Luminics Ultra White 5150k headlights, 12" Kicker Comp VR sub, 300.1 Rockford Fosgate amp, K & N Drop in air filter, Leds under dash and in trunk, Debadged, Red Calipers, Black Overlays on Emblems.

Comment

Never cleaned my filter bc i didnt use it
            87 Jeep Comanche Metric Ton
            90 Eagle Talon TSI
            09 G6 Progression(New Car)
            My Progression

Comment

Originally posted by jakeman17
              Point taken...But here the dust is sand...and wiping down dust on a car is like sandpapering it

Comment

Originally posted by TeteRouge
                Originally posted by jakeman17
                Point taken...But here the dust is sand...and wiping down dust on a car is like sandpapering it
                I get that here sometimes. I can't stand it!

Comment

Working...
                X