Putting LED's in the A/C vents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting LED's in the A/C vents?

Anyone ever tried this? Is it extremely difficult to get into the dash to run wire to each of the vents? I plan on drilling an extremely small hole in the bottom of the vent (inside of course), running the power wire, and then simply taping or siliconing down a red LED or two in each of the vents, but how difficult would it be to get the wire ran, and to get the vents off the front of the A/C ports?
    = Gone as of 11/16/07

Originally posted by WS6 RACING
    Little bunny foo foo hopping through the forest
    Picking up the feild mice and getting splattered by Spazmatic!!!

don't think anyone's tried it... but I would love to see the results!
    Originally posted by TLS2000
    Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
    GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Me too!! Do it!

I'm sure it won't be that hard

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

i think if you take dash apart...there is plenty of room to do what you want...if you dont take it apart completely who knows

keep us updated

Comment

Alright alright.

Do you guys have suggestions on LEDs? 3mm? 5mm? I don't know how each will light up, I don't want a blindingly bright light coming from the vents, just a subtle glow that goes along with the gauges and radio display.
          = Gone as of 11/16/07

Comment

get the least amount of light put out as possible...wouldnt want it to be shining toward eyes all the time

had that happen when tach needle broke and they left it lay there while waiting on new part...that was annoying and i had the brightness down all the way

Comment

Well I was thinking that I could wrap it in gauze or something just so it wouldn't be a direct light...I would hate to have an LED shining in my face every night.
              = Gone as of 11/16/07

Comment

i'm not sure of the angle of the duct without looking, but what if you put the LED thru the top of the duct...maye it wouldnt be visible at all, esp with the vent closed a little
                -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

I did it on my GP and it was a pain....

John
                  Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

I did it on my Cougar. I used Streetglow 3" tubes. They fit perfectly. The two vents in the middle will be extremely easy, but the other two on each side of the car...well..They might just pop right out of the dash like they did in my cougar.
                    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

So the vents just pop off? I don't want to break anything.

Also, how were the wires run in your cougar? I don't want em hangin out of the vents, i'm gonna have to drill small holes in the vents to allow for the power wire.
                      = Gone as of 11/16/07

Comment

Yeah, I'd like to see this in person.
                        ***ROSEY - 2006 GTP Coupe 6MT, GT-R, Doctor Speed Cold Air Box. Click below for more***

Comment

I gowith an LED that 1watt, make sur that the LED has a cover. Dont do a LED that doesnt hae a cover, it will very bright.
                          LED'S have low to no heat at all, but make sure the wires have some type of insulation on them. For hot and cold.
                          Marble color G6 Sedan"DUB Edition", WITH 20" Forte Rims, custom grill,custom LED interior lighting,35% tints. more to come........

Comment

Originally posted by PLUGGED
                            but make sure the wires have some type of insulation on them. For hot and cold.
                            and protection from gangs of gatuitous smiley faces
                            Originally posted by TLS2000
                            Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                            http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                            GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Yeah I think I have found the LED's I'm going to use, they're 3mm 1watt LED's with resistors, and have a shielding on them that protects from extreme colds and heats (up to 350*).
                              = Gone as of 11/16/07

Comment

Working...
                              X