Acceleration Hesitation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acceleration Hesitation?

Got a question for ya. I've noticed that if I am stopped or going very slowly (say, less than 10mph) and I hit my accelerator abruptly that before the car will go there is a definite hesitation - the car pauses for a second and then it JERKS forwards and goes. If I am stopped or going slowly and slowly press down on the accelerator to go it does not do this or if I am already at speed and press down hard on the accelerator it does not do it. It seems to happen at the worst times - like when I need to pull out into traffic and get moving quickly. I've never had a car do this before and my fiance and my dad both think it should not do this. This happens a lot more when my fiance is driving than when I am - I guess because he's drives it a lot harder than I do. Does this sound normal to any of you?
    2007 G6 GT Convertible, Sport Package
    WAR
    EAGLE!!!!!

It does not sound right to me. I'd take it back to the dealership and have them check it out.

Most street cars do hesitate a bit when you stomp on it from a dead stop or at a very slow roll, but if you're noticing it, I'd say that something is definately not right.

If it were my old Vette, I'd be checking the carb. Since there is nothing on the G6 that even resembles a carb, I'd have the shop check it out.

Could be nothing, could be some adjustment. It's under warranty so it won't cost you anything but some time.

Jeff
    My 07 G6 Convertible
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...6/IMG_0394.jpg

My 76 Vette
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e/P4240002.jpg

Comment

How long does the hesitation last?

It sounds to me like you're hitting the gas hard enough for force a downshift. It takes a second to downshift two or three gears, and then it takes off.

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

i dont know for sure, but i know that everytime i drive an auto tranny vehicle i notice this, including my g6. I dont really care for autos just for this reason. I chalk it up to an auto tranny. Maybe something in the TC aswell. But i do not know for a fact.
        Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

I took it to the dealership. The mechanic claimed to have driven another G6 and said that it did the same thing and so deemed it "normal". He said this was, and I quote, "the nature of the beast". I don't know if the one he drove even had the same specs as mine or not. I wasn't there, my fiance took it for me along with some other complaints. All of my issues were shot down and they did NOTHING for my car that visit. Before I go back I want to make sure this is a valid complaint that I have. Since you all drive the "beast" too I figured I'd get some good feedback!
          WAR
          EAGLE!!!!!

Comment

The reason this happens is we have no throttle cable. It's called throttle by wire. The computer receives a signal that you've stepped on the pedal and it sends the correct response. All cars made with this design have some throttle lag. The Mazda 6S has almost a 3 sec lag from a rolling start, assuming auto trans. Mine is slightly less than 1 sec.
            G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
            Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
            Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
            20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback! I don't like it but it looks like it is just something I'll have to get used to with this car!
              WAR
              EAGLE!!!!!

Comment

If you have traction control, or additionaly a toggle button to turn it off try turning that off to see if that solves it. I noticed a definate improvement in acceleration with that off. You just gotta be carefull cuz it's realy easy to bark your tires.

Comment

any automatic car does that, throttle cable or no throttle cable. You're cruising and you mash the peddle, the car will hesitate then jerk forward very hard. Mine does it, my cougar did it, and my mom and dad's cavaliers do it. This is why I drive around with tapshift on most of the time. That way I can just downshift and mash the peddle at the same time and the car just goes!
                  -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Mine did this until I put the CAI on it. I guess it was having problems breathing!
                    -Marc

2005 Granite Metallic GT sedan

Comment

Like TLS2000 said, it could be an auto taking a sec to down shift, if your like at 20 MPH and you car has you in 3rd gear and you floor it, it'll take a second or so to down shift 2gears but might want to have it checked my the dealer. My car dosent do it but I also have a GTP not a GT.
                      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                      Gotta have it Green color
                      Brembo brake package
                      420 HP 5.0L
                      Ford Racing Power Pack
                      GT500 track pack differential cover
                      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I say if there is more than one second lag then there is a problem, whether it has the drive-by-wire throttle or not.

Comment

Originally posted by mrslcom
                          I say if there is more than one second lag then there is a problem, whether it has the drive-by-wire throttle or not.
                          I agree. It's a problem.
                          G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                          Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                          Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                          20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Hello everybody! First time poster, have been reading for a while. I wanted to chime in on this issue. I had a similar issue with my GT Sedan. I would also get a hesistation when accelerating. I could even put it in manual mode and at just the right RPM it would surge and sputter something terrible. It turns out that there was an engine harness pigtail mis-routed. If I remember correctly it was to some kind of sensor on the intake system. What was happening is as the engine was torquing during acceleration it was pulling on the wire and was messing up the connection to the sensor. This in turn was apparently making the PCM attempt to compensate for it and was messing everything up. This set no SES light or codes. Have your dealer check it out. Good luck.

Comment

It is throttle by wire and part of the reason why people don't like it....

John
                              Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Working...
                              X