Should I remove the resonator or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I remove the resonator or not?

I am about to get my CAB in next week and been debating if I should remove the resonator or not. I've been told since I got the box not the stage 3, that I didn't have to remove the resonator.

I been reading that its sometimes is a pain to get the resonator out but it sounds better?

I want to retain all my parts cause my car in a lease and I have to put it all back in without them questioning if I did something, so I can't be cutting or chopping out the resonator.

So what are your opinions on what I should do. I want my intake to sound as good as it can, but from what I understand that the design of the resonator is actually good and doesn't effect airflow if it was there or not correct?

Any ideas on what is the best option to leave it in and or to take it out.

Thanks for your help guys, I can't wait to drop it in and joining the Dr. Speed intake club haha.

-Scott

2006 G6 3.5 Sedan - Granite
    Doc Speed CAB

Since you have the Cold Air Box, it won't make a noticeable difference. I'll be hacking mine out soon, but only to lose a few pounds.
    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

you should probably just leave it in. I can't see how it would affect the intake at all.
      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

thanks guys for the tips..

does it at all effect the sound that it makes leaving it in or not?

Doc Speed CAB

Comment

I took mines out but that is just because that was my first mod. I had the car about 30 min when I did it.
          Originally posted by Nikki
          You are an e-pimp.
          Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
          I tried too, my penis way too big
          07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
          My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
          The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

It only affects the sound if you have the stock airbox, since the tube feeds directly into it. Even with the CAB you're still using an open element filter, so the sound will come from that.
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

ah makes sense to me, thanks! I think I will just leave it in, save me the time and frustration of having to take out the headlight and from what I heard its not that fun to do.

Thanks for you help, I'll let you know how it goes after the install. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action! Thanks Kyle!

Doc Speed CAB

Comment

I plan on installing my DoctorSpeed CAB tomorrow after work, and I was going to leave the resonator in. However at some point I thought it would be nice to remove the dead weight, and also won't it feed the CAB better with air if it is removed? From the pics I have seen the CAB will fit around the opening of that resonator, and with it out, a nice hole to draw air from ???

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Check this Resonator Removal thread Sherman here seems to have an easier solution to removal. After looking at this...... maybe I will take the resonator out at the same time I install the CAB.
                2006 GTP Coupe: Leather, Zinik wheels, GM Strut Bar, DoctorSpeed CAB, Custom Dual Magnaflow's / Resonator Exhaust

Comment

Working...
                X