Another Intake Resonator Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Intake Resonator Removal

I finally decided to remove the intake resonator. I have seen alot of resonators but this one was probably the best design, except to remove. It is a huge fresh air duct that IS NOT tapering down to a smaller size. Those 2 canisters are only to help quiet the intake noise so don't expect a hp improvement.
    Anyway, I started with thread http://www.g6performance.com/forum/view ... ght=intake
    to remove the headlight. To get res. out I used a Dremel Roto cutter and "loppers" for tree lims with 18" handles. I used the Dremel to cut out retaining tabs and whatever the bit would reach. I cut off (around) one tab and the Dremel got 1/2 of the connector air to the big canister. I then jammed the loppers down that cut and cut the uncut part of the tube. It snapped right off and the whole thing took a little over 1/2 hr. IMO tin snips or garden cutters could be helpful in some areas. That's how it went

Did you take any pics of how you did this?

Do you think my 7-foot tree trimming pole saw could be useful?
    (Rev) Greg :: 2006 Fusion Orange GTP Coupe auto - 35% tint - MPD hood - Razzi wing- Dr. Speed CAB - GTR exhaust - GM STB - caliper paint/decals - mesh lower grilles - more to come

Comment

No pic but I should have. A chainsaw might work well. :P

Comment

Wow i actually have an engine under the hood!! LMAO! Ijust got done removing that resonator and i can actualy hear my engine now! The headlight method is way too complicated. I took the passenger tire off and the wheel well plastic on the front and the thing came right out! No cutting, pulling, spidering paint. The plastic retainers came right out the only thing that was a pain was the second longest 10mm bolt in the world for a piece of crap resonator.
        -06 3.9L GTP
        -6-speed manual
        -VMS Tune 93 octane
        -Dual Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust w/o resonator
        -Filled front/rear transmission mounts
        -Eibach springs
        -Stillen Engine Dampener
        -DS Stage 4 intake
        -DS Cold air box
        -GM strut tower brace

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman
          ...The headlight method is way too complicated. I took the passenger tire off and the wheel well plastic on the front and the thing came right out!
          this sounds like a good approach, was it hard to remove the wheel well plastic, and did it go back in perfectly?

Anyone else try this? I'm about to install the DoctorSpeed CAB and if I could do it without cutting it out, I'd like to remove the resonator too... Just new to working on my car... a bit worried stuff wont go back perfectly.
          2006 GTP Coupe: Leather, Zinik wheels, GM Strut Bar, DoctorSpeed CAB, Custom Dual Magnaflow's / Resonator Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanum
            Originally posted by Sherman
            ...The headlight method is way too complicated. I took the passenger tire off and the wheel well plastic on the front and the thing came right out!
            this sounds like a good approach, was it hard to remove the wheel well plastic, and did it go back in perfectly?

Anyone else try this? I'm about to install the DoctorSpeed CAB and if I could do it without cutting it out, I'd like to remove the resonator too... Just new to working on my car... a bit worried stuff wont go back perfectly.
            I wouldn't worry about it too much. Take your time. I also removed the retainers from the wheel well tub and reached through there and pulled my intake resonator off. It's not easy to pull on, but I had better access that way. I didn't cut mine off, it came out in one piece.
            G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
            Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
            Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
            20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Working...
            X