Design a DIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design a DIC

I've read the complaints here about the DIC kits that are available.

So okay, so if you were going to install a new DIC kit ... I said IF ... what do you want it to look like? Yea, yea, yea -- Pontiac red display and lights.

But what else? And be specific: how large a unit? how large a display? what buttons do you want? what should the buttons look like? got a layout in mind? what about the panel - does it have to look like the stock dash?

For that matter, does it have to install with the stereo? does it even have to go into the dash? (I don't know the wiring harness setup.)

Come on ... how creative can you get?
    (Rev) Greg :: 2006 Fusion Orange GTP Coupe auto - 35% tint - MPD hood - Razzi wing- Dr. Speed CAB - GTR exhaust - GM STB - caliper paint/decals - mesh lower grilles - more to come

i'd make it match the dashboard in color and texture, i'd remove the screen and the buttons from my stock radio and use them for the new display. best way for it to look stock is to leave it 90% stock

Comment

Bristol is right. Make it as stock as humanly possible....

Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

If cost wasn't a factor, I'd want a HUD.

Comment

Like mentioned I'd want it to look stock as far as fitment and whatnot. Like the same buttons, colour, texture, etc. Although I'd want a nicer screen on it, stuff like that. Not like it matters though, wishful thinkin lol.

Comment

i'd rather use a HUD for things that are important while i am driving like speed, rpm, maybe even what gear i am in (6MT), etc. i don't feel anything the DIC displays is important enough to be shown in front of my face with the possible exception of DTE. i would love to have a HUD though.

another thought i had was just using a mounting kit without the DIC and moving the DIC display and buttons elsewhere on the dashboard. i am sure a place can be found that is not in the way but still use a regular instal kit with a pocket below it for more storage

Comment

I wanted to add a single din flip out monitor along with the DIC. Sadly I will lose my steering controls.
              2007 G6 GT white convertible, monsoon, painted calipers, McCulloch 5300k lows, 5% rear, 35% front, Alpine MRP-M350 amp, 2 12" Memphis subwoofers, w/ amp turn off switch, custom LED's, Dynamat, digital capacitor, Katzkin leather.

Comment

Originally posted by Mmartin_47
                I wanted to add a single din flip out monitor along with the DIC. Sadly I will lose my steering controls.
                they don't have adapters to connect your steering wheel controls? i know they make them for my truck.

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
                  i'd rather use a HUD for things that are important while i am driving like speed, rpm, maybe even what gear i am in (6MT), etc. i don't feel anything the DIC displays is important enough to be shown in front of my face with the possible exception of DTE. i would love to have a HUD though.

another thought i had was just using a mounting kit without the DIC and moving the DIC display and buttons elsewhere on the dashboard. i am sure a place can be found that is not in the way but still use a regular instal kit with a pocket below it for more storage
                  Defi makes one. I used to have one in my Scion tC. But it wont tell what gear your in. It will tell your speed and rpm.
                  2007 G6 GT white convertible, monsoon, painted calipers, McCulloch 5300k lows, 5% rear, 35% front, Alpine MRP-M350 amp, 2 12" Memphis subwoofers, w/ amp turn off switch, custom LED's, Dynamat, digital capacitor, Katzkin leather.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                    If cost wasn't a factor, I'd want a HUD.
                    Really!! I work with military jets and their display systems. So I can envision a head-up display system that shows what I want to know about every system on my car, plus tracks every vehicle around me and designates "problem" drivers. Then if it just had the weapons release control ... never mind!

Of course that kind of HUD costs about the same as about a dozen G6's.

So I'd be interested in one that showed speed, RPM, gear, and critical warnings ... oh yeah, and the XM station I'm listening to.

(Rev) Greg
                    (Rev) Greg :: 2006 Fusion Orange GTP Coupe auto - 35% tint - MPD hood - Razzi wing- Dr. Speed CAB - GTR exhaust - GM STB - caliper paint/decals - mesh lower grilles - more to come

Comment

I'd take the screen right out of the stock dash and put it on the new kit. Make it look exactly the same.

Oh, and I know there are wiring kits available with some aftermarket radios that allow you to use the steering wheel controls.
                      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

design a DIC eh... I think pontiac did a pretty good job soooo take away whatever buttons you wouldnt need and put whats left into a dash kit. done.
                        2007 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71 4x4

Comment

design one?

hell, just add mp3 capabilities to the stock one and thats my design!!!
                          Lucy
                          2006 Silver Gt Coupe
                          3.5 l v6, alloy 17"s
                          sun and sound package, leather package.

Comment

MP3 and a AUX so I can hook up a thumb drive reader.
                            06' G6 GTP, ATX - Stealth Gray w/ Black leather.

Comment

Working...
                            X