• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E3 Spark Plug Review

E3 Spark Plugs

Price- $5.99 ea.
    URL- http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... Type=C0334

Installation- relatively easy. Getting the boots off the old plugs was a pain they were stuck. Rear plugs are a tough to get to. Total time about 1.5 hours.

Product performance- 8-9 could be a "10" but not sure if there is better plug.

Would I recommend- Yes highly.

I tried out the E3 plugs after O'Reilly started carrying them and reading a bit about them. I disconnected the negative cable on the battery to clear the ECM so it would relearn the fuel/air/spark curves.
    Throttle response seemed to improve, but this is subjective.
    The real test was fuel economy. I just took one of my routine trips to Atlanta airport, and where I used to get about 30 mpg on 10% ethanol fuel, I got 33.4 mpg at about 78mph with the A/C running (G6 V6 3.5L) over about 340 miles.

So approximately a 10% increase in fuel economy.
    Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Re: E3 Spark Plug Review

Hm... might be something to look into. Were you at the recommended service interval for your old plugs or did the increase in efficiency prompt you to try replacing the plugs?
    106,000 MILES!
    There are gateway drugs... and then gateway mods. BOTH ARE ADDICTING WATCH THE F*** OUT!
    Now that I'm done with college, I realize how boring everyday life is.

Comment

i want some
      Cold air intake, racingline engine mounts, painted engine cover, tinted tail lights, resonator delete, red and black calipers, Flowmaster 50 series, black upper recessed grills,cobalt ss/tc rims, massive audio nano 800w amp, pioneer A series 460W speakers, pioneer double din touch screen headunit and debadge[color=#FF0000][

My Progression:http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...;s+progression
      JOIN FOREVERPONTIAC.COM...NOW!!!!!!

Comment

Hmmm... I just thought about it and I don't think I have ever changed them. How often are you supposed to?

Comment

I think that our plugs are supposed to last 100,000 miles or so.

They are platinum tip...I think

How hard where the rear ones?
          did you use some kind of antiseize on the threads?

Comment

We've been selling E3's for lawnmowers and other lawn equipment for years...
            2009 PONTIAC G8
            MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by SmartGTP
              I think that our plugs are supposed to last 100,000 miles or so.

They are platinum tip...I think

How hard where the rear ones?
              did you use some kind of antiseize on the threads?
              you are correct 100K miles

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

Good questions guys....

GM states that our plugs (3.5L) are good for 100k, these are Iridium thin wire AC Delco plugs. BUT if you talk to mechanics or read online articles, Iridium thin wires wear out a bit faster than the older double platinum plugs. Generally what I have heard is that 100k plugs are good for about 60-70k in the real world.

So, my car has 55k on it, and my fuel economy (see below) has been suffering a bit over the last year. This combined with reading about the E3 plugs prompted me to change. NOTE- the replacement AC Delco Iridium plugs are about $6.75 each and similar NGKs are around $9.00 each.

Anti-Seize: Normally I use this on aluminum head engines (like my old Honda). BUT GM recommends against it since it will give a false torque reading and can result in stripped threads. So I did not use it.

Rear Plugs: A bit of a contortion act to get at them. I had to slide my hand/arm in between the alternator and shock tower/firewall and then back behind the engine. Once in this oh-so-comfortable position you can get at the plugs. Depending on which rear plug you will need either 1- 4" extension or 2- 4" extensions put together so you can swing the 3/8" ratchet. Could not get torque wrench back there, so snug the plugs up, and give 1/16-1/8 turn further.

Original plugs that came out of the car- All but one had "perfect" burn characteristics, nice light gray/amber color. One was a little bit sooty (rear middle cylinder). I checked the gap and there was little wear, they ranged from 0.058-0.064. This makes me wonder if they were properly gapped at the factory, spec is 0.060.

Fuel Economy history- These are items that had a noticable impact on fuel economy. Note this is based on the DIC readings, which reads a bit high (~8%) versus calculated mpg. BUT even though it is high, it still shows comparitive improvements/reductions. Numbers are based on long highway trips (300+ miles) @ 78 mph, with A/C running and 2-3 people plus luggage.
                5/07 30-31 mpg. Bought the car with about 16k miles, fresh oil change from dealer.
                8/07 32-33 mpg after change to Mobil 1.
                8/08 30-31 mpg. 10% ethanol fuel giving reduced economy. All numbers below are with 10% eth, since it is hard to find full strength gas.
                10/08 29-30 mpg. New Toyo tires, wider and stickier than the stock Uniroyal SRs.
                02/09 31-32 mpg. Royal Purple oil. Smoother idle and better fuel economy.
                06/09 29-30 mpg. Valvoline Full Synthetic oil. Similar to Mobil 1 economy.
                08/09 33-34 mpg. E3 spark plugs.
                -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

WOW, E3's had that much of a difference? That's cool, Maybe I'll switch!

Comment

Originally posted by Granite6
                    Good questions guys....

GM states that our plugs (3.5L) are good for 100k, these are Iridium thin wire AC Delco plugs. BUT if you talk to mechanics or read online articles, Iridium thin wires wear out a bit faster than the older double platinum plugs. Generally what I have heard is that 100k plugs are good for about 60-70k in the real world.

I checked the gap and there was little wear, they ranged from 0.058-0.064. This makes me wonder if they were properly gapped at the factory, spec is 0.060.

where are you getting your informataion because its bad

we have platnum plugs and the spec is 0.043-0.037 in

The spark plug electrode is tipped with platinum for long wear and higher efficiency.

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                    Originally posted by snowmanG6
                    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Well, I'm glad you jump on all the time! It makes everything correct!

Comment

AHUN,
                        With all due respect, you are wrong.

Maybe you are confusing your sparkplugs in the Ecotec engine with the 3.5L LX9?

1. Go to the g6 spec page and look at the spark plug gap 0.060
                        viewtopic.php?f=3&t=733
                        2. These are plugs that came out of my engine. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... Type=C0334
                        -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

looks like the face sheet is wrong because i got my info straight from the service manual that GM makes

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                          Originally posted by snowmanG6
                          you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

I don't know who to believe anymore!!!

Comment

WOW!

Round and Round we go.

LOOK IN YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL (mine is a 2006, should be the same as yours).

2.4L AC Delco p/n 41-981 This is a double platinum plug
                              3.5L (LX9) AC Delco p/n 41-101. This is the thin wire iridium.
                              3.9L AC Delco p/n 41-100. This is the same thin wire iridium plug (I believe slightly "colder" heat range).

So either the owner's manual and the p/n look up on multiple websites is wrong (all state the 41-101 is the plug for my engine), or the Svc. Manual has a typo.
                              -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X