Wheel Hub/Wheel Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Hub/Wheel Bearings

I am at 68,000 miles and already have to replace the back passenger bearing/hub assembly. Anyone care to chime in? I'm buying the parts this weekend and replacing it next week. I'll post pictures.

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Re: Wheel Hub/Wheel Bearings

Care to chime in on install info? If so, it's actually really easy. Take off the wheel, rotor, and caliper. Unbolt the swaybar endlinks. That will give you room to get at the hub bolts. Then unbolt the hub and don't forget to unclip the wheel speed sensor. Then just reinstall everything.
    Born: 2/16/2007 -- Best Time: 14.20 @ 98.61 MPH -- 240 WHP & 205 WTQ -- Blueprinted and Balanced

- U.C. Tinted Tails - Dr. S Stage 3 - SRC Dyno Tune - Eibach Pro Kit - C.I. FPU - Scuba's Aux. Retrofit -
    - 08 SS/TC Brembo Conversion - Ported Heads & I.M - MACE I.M.S. - RacingLine MMI - O.T.T.P. SRS -
    - MMS Headers - ClassicPerformance Exhaust - Powerbond UDP - CF Catch Can - Racingline Strutbar -

Comment

Yea... I know its not difficult, just seems odd for it to be going out soo soon.

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

What was your indication yours went out? When I travel between 65 and 75 I get a whirring noise. If I sway to the right, it gets louder. Sway to the left and the noise is there, but doesn't increase in volume. I'm guessing it's coming from the rear because it seems to get louder when the back seats are down.

Also, where did you get your replacement from? I've found some online but wasn't sure if they're any better/cheaper than the dealership.

Thanks

Comment

I too had these same indications. However, I talked with the local dealers mechanic. ( I live in a small town) He suggested I change brake pads. The sqeal can come from the brake pad wear indicators, the indicator lightly rubs against the rotor causing a vibration that emits sound.

I changed out the brake pads and replaced them with ceramics and the noise has gone away.

I would suggest inspecting your pads, which is relatively easy (theres a how to on here somewhere), and start with changing them if you need to. Advance Auto Parts carries a replacement hub which bolts in place of the old one, however its price is 206 and some change plus tax.

Thats what I found. Hope it helps.

Comment

rotors and pads are all new. The sound was there before the new setup and is still there.

Well, as of my drive home from racing, the noise seems to be gone. I over-inflated the tires before racing started and I noticed on the ride home the sound wasn't there. I've had the tires inspected on two different occasions and both times there were bad spots or cupping found and they are all less than a year old. But, again, increasing the tire pressure to 41 psi has made the sound disappear; that or else a full day of track racing has worn the spot away.

I've always felt this was a tire issue anyway because it started up immediately after I got the new tires and I can't get the tire place to do anything about it, which pisses me off.

Comment

Working...
            X