Help with Exhaust options please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Exhaust options please.

I know, I know another exhaust thread. Sorry, but after reading every one I could find, and watching / listening to every GT-R (or other setup's) audio and video clips, I still need help.

Vilmar5 has a great 10 minute+ video of the GT-R system After listening to that thing over and over and over I learned two things.

1) I love the GT-R system
    2) It's too loud (outside of the car) For Me when you jump on it.

What can I do to get a Performance boost from an Exhaust system, and not wake my neighbors up? I came up with these idea’s, but being a car mod newbie I don’t know if they will do what I want..

- Remove the resonator from my Stock GTP
    - Get the GT-R system and add a round muffler where resonator was
    - Copy Kman’s & Fritz03's 3 muffler system

I want a performance boost, and about half the volume of a GT-R (others want same - poll) What can I do?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    2006 GTP Coupe: Leather, Zinik wheels, GM Strut Bar, DoctorSpeed CAB, Custom Dual Magnaflow's / Resonator Exhaust

Get a custom job and get a Dynomax Super Turbo Camaro/Firebird style muffler. I have heard that they have a nice tone without being loud....

John
    Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

My system is only loud when you open the throttle hard. If you drive normal, it's hardly heard. I've been working with performnace oriented combinations for a very long time, and truth of the matter is, that it is the best compromise of performace and sound you'll find. You can't have it both ways. It has the sound of a Porsche.

There is a reason why Porsche's sound the way they do, and its because they found that it also offers the best compromise between sound and performance.

Comment

GT-R I know you know what you are talking about, and everyone that has your system says it is excellent quality and they ALL LOVE IT...

I am not knocking your system in any way, in fact I should be on your list for a new T304 system :P .... I just think based on vilmar5's video that it is too loud for me.

Have you listened to vilmar5's video? Do you think that is an honest representation of the sound?

My car is only 2 months old, and I do romp on it every chance I get, just dont think I'm gonna get tired of that. lol
        2006 GTP Coupe: Leather, Zinik wheels, GM Strut Bar, DoctorSpeed CAB, Custom Dual Magnaflow's / Resonator Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanum

Have you listened to vilmar5's video? Do you think that is an honest representation of the sound?

My carr is only 2 months old, and I do romp on it every chance I get, just dont think I'm gonna get tired of that. lol
          Trust me. I am very familair with the sound.

Can it be made quieter ? Yes, and quite easy, but you'll sacrifice some performance.

This is why I said you can at least control the sound at the pedal. In truth, in order to make it that loud, you'd have to have the throttle open pretty far all the time, and no one drives that way. It's not an obnoxious sound by no means, but I do understand that every one has their own tolerance, and I can't really speak for everyone. All I'm saying, is that, it is the best compromise between loudness and performance. In other words, you can make it louder and not gain any more performance, but make it quieter and you will lose some.

Although I might be coming across as trying to sell this system, I'm really not. I just want to make sure you and everone else reading this understands how it works.

Comment

It seems loud at first, but honestly... after having it for a day, you get used to it.

When you are cruising / coasting you can't really even hear it. During normal driving, you can hear it, but it is hardly offensive... and if you have a radio on, you won't even hear it then.

I think it sounds beautiful... I'll roll down my windows just so I can hear it better.

The only time it is LOUD... is when you are F'n flooring it (which I do a little too often) and it sounds mean as hell. It's awesome.

If you get it, you'll love it.
            Originally posted by TLS2000
            Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
            GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Originally posted by GT-R

Can it be made quieter ? Yes, and quite easy, but you'll sacrifice some performance.

...make it quieter and you will lose some.
              How can I do this, and keep the bolt on kit, so that if/when I want to put it bck as you designed it I could?

Although I might be coming across as trying to sell this system, I'm really not. I just want to make sure you and everone else reading this understands how it works.
              I don't read your posts as trying to sell anything, I think the others will agree your Customers Sell it for you, and you just sound at least to me to be honestly taking the time to answer some newbie's questions... Thanks, I appreciate your time.

Comment

Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
                ...I think it sounds beautiful... I'll roll down my windows just so I can hear it better.

The only time it is LOUD... is when you are F'n flooring it (which I do a little too often) and it sounds mean as hell. It's awesome.

If you get it, you'll love it.
                I rest my case about your customers Selling your system for you GT-R. :P

Comment

I've got no problem shamelessly promoting a good product
                  Originally posted by TLS2000
                  Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                  http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                  GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

[quote=Arcanum]

...make it quieter and you will lose some.
                    How can I do this, and keep the bolt on kit, so that if/when I want to put it bck as you designed it I could?

Originally posted by "GT-R":2vfyjjyl
                    I don't read your posts as trying to sell anything, I think the others will agree your Customers Sell it for you, and you just sound at least to me to be honestly taking the time to answer some newbie's questions... Thanks, I appreciate your time.[/quote:2vfyjjyl]

It can be made quieter, by adding a bolt on resonator onto the straight pipe. This would require making both, the bolt on resonator and a bolt on section of straight pipe.

I can do this for those that are interested, but of course this will add to the price of the system. But honestly, you can literaly drive the car and have it sound ever so slightly louder than stock by not putting your foot into the throttle. My wife is a realestate broker, and has taken many clients to see houses with it.

Comment

It can be made quieter, by adding a bolt on resonator onto the straight pipe. This would require making both, the bolt on resonator and a bolt on section of straight pipe.

I can do this for those that are interested, but of course this will add to the price of the system.
                      This is the answer that I wanted. :P I understand that it will increase the price, which I have no problem with, just let me know. Please confirm that I am on your waiting list. Thanks again GT-R!

Comment

Wish I could find customers like that. Well, with that system it's not surprising. Too bad it wasn't available when I did my exhaust.
                        G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                        Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                        Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                        20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Working...
                        X