Replacing Brakes and Control Arm/Ball Joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Brakes and Control Arm/Ball Joint

Can anyone give me a rough difficulty level on replacing the Ball joint/Control Arm on my 05 g6? I know its common that they go out, I searched buuuut, I'd rather do it myself and save the $80 for work the mechanic is wanting to charge. And since I've got this post started, there's nothing extra tricky on the brakes is there?

Re: Replacing Brakes and Control Arm/Ball Joint

1. brakes: there simple as turn four bolts off after the tire is removed
    1. remove tire
    2. remove studs hold brake pads to caliper
    3. remove studs holding caliper
    4. remove pads from caliper and remove rotor
    5. clean off calipers and might want to wire brush the rust and paint calipers at this time
    6. re-assemble in reverse order
    ITS THAT EASY

2. Ball Joint: you actually replace the complete control arm
    1. with tire off and on a proper stand, ( good time to do while doing brakes)
    2. remove bolts holding ball joint and control arm in,may have to work them out of the bushings
    3. may need to support the suspension also
    4. replace control arm and replace bolts
    5. re-assemble
    AND YOUR DONE

GOOD LUCK, CAN BE DONE WITH BASIC TOOLS IN THE DRIVEWAY
    15% tint front windows, 5% rear sides,rear,and windshield banner. red brake calipers. slotted and drilled rotors. 3 million l.e.d. underbody light kit (seldom used). 18" solstice rims with 245/40/18. Hammerhead spoiler. 2 10" eclipse subs in a sealed box. Monsoon stereo. Acoustic amps.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3300730

Originally posted by vballchic1023
    Being bent over the hood on a back road is fun as well

Comment

which engine adn which side control arm??? i know on some of them the engine mounts get in the way

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn
        which engine adn which side control arm??? i know on some of them the engine mounts get in the way
        I've got a gt, so the 3.5 and passenger side.

Comment

yeah you have to remove the engine mount in order to get the bolts out

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
          you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

just a quick question - isn't it a good idea to replace both right and left control arms at the same time?

- Alpine IVA-w505 7" DVD with built in Blackbird GPS
            - JL 1000.1 Amp
            - JL 12" W7
            - 10% Front Tint, 5% Rear

Comment

not a bad idea since obviously both ball joints have the same amount of use. but at the same time for the price of a control arm you might just wanna wait untill it goes b4 replacing

Comment

Working...
              X