Magnetic Oil Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic Oil Plug

Do they work? It seems like the theory behind it is pretty simple, just suck out any metal bits in the oil.

Wonder would it be worth it to get one.

And it looks like our plug is the same as the Corvette, and I think it has one.
    <-- Gray G6? Click!
    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Re: Magnetic Oil Plug

I'd like to get one for my 3.6. Pretty sure the GTOs come with them, so they must work.
    Born: 2/16/2007 -- Best Time: 14.20 @ 98.61 MPH -- 240 WHP & 205 WTQ -- Blueprinted and Balanced

- U.C. Tinted Tails - Dr. S Stage 3 - SRC Dyno Tune - Eibach Pro Kit - C.I. FPU - Scuba's Aux. Retrofit -
    - 08 SS/TC Brembo Conversion - Ported Heads & I.M - MACE I.M.S. - RacingLine MMI - O.T.T.P. SRS -
    - MMS Headers - ClassicPerformance Exhaust - Powerbond UDP - CF Catch Can - Racingline Strutbar -

Comment

Anyone know if there are any available for the 6?
      Modifications:
      [Completed] CRAB 03/04 + WMS 91 Octane Tune + MPD Hood w/ Hood Struts + GT-R Exhaust + Red Interior Lighting + De-Badged + Overlays + Chrome Window Trim + 20% Tint + Racingline Strut Bar
      [In Progress] Racingline Mount Inserts / Wiring Kit
      [Later Days] Audio Controls + G6 Mats + New Rims + Tail-Light Replacement + Street Glow + Trunk Sub

Comment

Isn't the 3.6L an aluminium block? What's the use there?
        <-- Gray G6? Click!
        2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
        2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
        Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Hmmm, I've heard bout these and they also have a system that wraps around your filter too... any of our Goat owners have this and if ya do, does it do anything for ya?

It's not about how fast you get to your destination, it's about how you many heads
          you turn when you get there...

My Progression Page
          CarDomainMySpace

Comment

this is what were talking about in this thread?!?!?! threads like this make me think we (this forum/car club) needs some serious help.

someone make some mods for us worth talking about!!!! asap please!!!!!!!!!!

....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
            .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

Originally posted by jedi3
              this is what were talking about in this thread?!?!?! threads like this make me think we (this forum/car club) needs some serious help.

someone make some mods for us worth talking about!!!! asap please!!!!!!!!!!

the idea behind it seems like it could be efficient...

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

wow

yes they do collect tiny particles of metal that comme off the cylander walls and the bearings etc etc. except the ammount is so pittiful its not worth it lol. only way there really usefull is that you can kinda tell how much wear your engine has on it. other wise everything it catches would just get caught in the filter any way

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                Originally posted by snowmanG6
                you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

It's hard to say how effective it would be but there is no harm in using one.

Comment

Like ahuhn said, everything it catches would get caught in the filter. The only reason I could see for having a magnetic oil plug or magnetic oil filter guard was if you don't change your oil regularly, and that's just silly if you don't.
                    2008 Pontiac G6 GT - Techno Gray Metallic, 3.5L
                    Mods: Two Alpine Type S 10" subwoofers in a sealed box, interior LEDs, more to come

Comment

Our Chevy S-10 came with it.
                      Early on there were metal filings as the engine broke in. After I went to Mobil 1 around 10k miles there is almost nothing on the magnetic oil plug.

I have always used them in my cars as both an indicator of what is happening in the engine and for any benefit of capturing these filings before they go through the oil pump.

You can pick up a magnetic drain plug for about $3-4.00 at any auto parts place. Use one with a plastic or rubber gasket, not the aluminum/copper which will need to be replaced each oil change.

Cheap insurance, why not use it.
                      Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                      -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X