Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chevy Volt to do 230 MPG!! (well, sort of...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy Volt to do 230 MPG!! (well, sort of...)

Originally posted by CNN.com
    Chevy Volt to get 230 mpg rating
    Ultra-high mileage for GM's electric-drive Volt could give it a marketing boost.

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com senior writer

DETROIT (CNNMoney.com) -- The Chevrolet Volt, GM's electric car that's expected to go on sale
    in late 2010, is projected to get an estimated 230 miles per gallon, the automaker announced Tuesday.

That exceptionally high government mileage rating could give the Volt a major boost. For the first time,
    car buyers will easily be able to compare electric cars with ordinary gas-powered cars.

"Having a car that gets triple-digit fuel economy can and will be a game changer for us," said GM CEO Fritz Henderson.

Determining fuel economy for an electric car is a tricky matter, and General Motors (GM, Fortune 500) has been
    working with the Environmental Protection Agency for years on the issue.

Basically, you will be able to drive the Volt for about 40 miles using the lithium-ion batteries. For those driving less
    than that, gas mileage is essentially unlimited. It is only after 40 miles that the Volt will start using gas.

"Most Volt drivers will operate on a daily basis without having to use a single drop of gas," said Henderson, saying
    that three out of four drivers travel 40 miles or less a day.

50 mpg? or 5,000?
    Fuel economy for hybrid vehicles like the Toyota Prius is displayed in the same way as it is for any other gasoline-powered
    vehicle. It gets 46 mpg, for example, versus 19 mpg for a V-6 Ford Mustang.

That standard works because all the energy used by the Prius ultimately comes from burning gasoline. The Prius just uses
    that energy more efficiently than other cars do.

The Chevrolet Volt, on other hand, runs on electricity that comes from two sources -- a battery as well as a gasoline engine.

When gasoline is providing the power, the Volt might get as much as 50 mpg. But that mpg figure would not take into account
    that the car has already gone 40 miles with no gas at all.

So let's say the car is driven 50 miles in a day. For the first 40 miles, no gas is used and during the last 10 miles, 0.2 gallons
    are used. That's the equivalent of 250 miles per gallon. But, if the driver continues on to 80 miles, total fuel economy would
    drop to about 100 mpg. And if the driver goes 300 miles, the fuel economy would be just 62.5 mpg.

The Volt will need to be plugged in at night to recharge. The company said it estimates it will need 10 kilowatt hours for the
    recharge necessary to travel 40 miles. That should cost a total of about 40 cents at off-peak electricity rates in Detroit, Henderson said.

Making -- and selling -- the Volt
    The EPA rating for the Volt is based on a draft report and applies to city driving. Henderson said GM is confident that when
    Volt's combined city/highway mileage average is calculated, it will be over 100 mpg.

But GM is obviously focused on the 230 mpg estimate as part of its early marketing campaign for the vehicle. It unveiled a
    logo with the number 230, with the zero looking like a cross between a smiley face and electrical plug.

GM started pre-production of the car in June is making about 10 a month. "Volt is becoming very real, very fast," Henderson said.

Henderson conceded the cost of building a Volt will be expensive, about $40,000 per vehicle. But he said the vehicle will qualify
    for a $7,500 tax credit, which will reduce the vehicle cost by that amount for consumers.

He also stressed that GM has not set the pricing for the Volt, and conceded the company may have to subsidize the vehicle.
    The goal: Make enough sales to move the Volt from "first generation" to lower-cost future designs.

"The cost of the vehicle in the first generation is high," he said.
    There is also a video if you go see the link below.
    The Chevrolet Volt, GM's electric car that's expected to go on sale in late 2010, is projected to get an estimated 230 miles per gallon, the automaker announced Tuesday.
    COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6
    Clicky for progression place

CURRENT MODS: C.R.A.B.S. (O3), 20% Tint, Upper & lower recessed grilles (black), LEDs (dome light, trunk, licence plate & reverse lights), DRL delete, intake resonator delete, Dart & trunk keyhole overlays, debadge, '09 Stock radio (with AUX IN), '10 HVAC controls, Hood quicklifts, Eagle Eyes black projector headlights, LED brake/turn lights (including 3rd brake light LED retrofit), Pioneer speakers (front & back), Bazooka BTA8100FHC 8" Subwoofer, Hidden 12v adapter (that turn on with the ignition), EE Halo DRL bypass (How-to).
    MODS - COMING SOON: None... for now!

Also in the parking lot: 2008 Pontiac Torrent "Podium Edition"

My first G6 - Lease ended - but not forgotten

Re: Chevy Volt to do 230 MPG!! (well, sort of...)

thats weird
    Current Ride
    05 Jetta GLI

Old Rides
    Black G6 Coupe GT, painted headlights, Tinted tails(did them myself) cold air fender intake, custom magnaflow exhuast kit, 12" sub w/ 640watt amp, custom eye lids

Comment

Nothing says I care about the environment than driving in a car packed with batteries!
      Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

That MPG rating is all smoke and mirrors. The rating system hasn't been finalized yet and Chevrolet is making alot of assumptions, of course in their favor. The cost of electricity varies greatly in different markets and what do you do if your a city dweller that doesn't live in a private house with a driveway or garage??? Manhattan has millions of residents and very, very few live in private houses where they could recharge their vehicle. Maybe this will open up a new business: RECHARGING STATIONS

Comment

i thought about and if that number could be halfway true (who knows i mean how do you make an MPG rating for a vehicle that doesnt really use gas) if the car has even a 10 gallon tank you could almost get gas at every oil change

Originally posted by oldmanvette1975
          That MPG rating is all smoke and mirrors. The rating system hasn't been finalized yet and Chevrolet is making alot of assumptions, of course in their favor. The cost of electricity varies greatly in different markets and what do you do if your a city dweller that doesn't live in a private house with a driveway or garage??? Manhattan has millions of residents and very, very few live in private houses where they could recharge their vehicle. Maybe this will open up a new business: RECHARGING STATIONS
          the article on yahoo mentioned that briefly

It will be easy for future Volt owners living in rural and suburban areas to plug in their cars at night, but even Henderson recognized the challenge urban, apartment dwellers, or those that park their car on the street might have recharging the Volt. There could eventually be charging stations set up by a third-party to meet such a demand, Henderson said.

Originally posted by Fischer
          Nothing says I care about the environment than driving in a car packed with batteries!

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
          Originally posted by snowmanG6
          you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by Fischer
            Nothing says I care about the environent than driving in a car packed with batteries!
            They should bring back the nuclear car project eh! You cross the street, you hear a loud bumper crunch and Fisssssssiao! You're in mushroom kingdom! It's judgement day every rush hour!
            COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6

CURRENT MODS: C.R.A.B.S. (O3), 20% Tint, Upper & lower recessed grilles (black), LEDs (dome light, trunk, licence plate & reverse lights), DRL delete, intake resonator delete, Dart & trunk keyhole overlays, debadge, '09 Stock radio (with AUX IN), '10 HVAC controls, Hood quicklifts, Eagle Eyes black projector headlights, LED brake/turn lights (including 3rd brake light LED retrofit), Pioneer speakers (front & back), Bazooka BTA8100FHC 8" Subwoofer, Hidden 12v adapter (that turn on with the ignition), EE Halo DRL bypass (How-to).
            MODS - COMING SOON: None... for now!

Also in the parking lot: 2008 Pontiac Torrent "Podium Edition"

My first G6 - Lease ended - but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn

I need to send that to my friend driving a Camry Hybrid... Seriously there's no real reason to drive a hybrid unless to show off that you have more money than sense. If you really want to save the environment... take route 11.
              <-- Gray G6? Click!
              2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
              2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
              Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Working...
              X