Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone been to the track with 245/45/18's? Now with Vids!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone been to the track with 245/45/18's? Now with Vids!

Headed to the track thursday and wanted to know what the best psi would be for my 245/45 GT's? Does a track grip much better than a normal road? I've never been to a track and need some how-to's.
    My Car Domain
    Vector 93 ECM/TCM Dyno tune, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 235/50/18 , RacingLine Motor Mounts & Strut Bar, R1 Premium drilled rotors, Custom Exhaust w/ 4" tips, Inchannel Rain Guards, Crabs CAB & Front Pipe Upgrade, GXP rear bumper, 15% Ceramic Tint, Blue Calipers, Blue Dart Overlays, Upper Window & Lower Grill Chrome, Side GTP Emblems, Chrome Door Locks, 8k HID Head & Fogs, Pioneer Head Unit, Rockford Door Speakers

Re: Anyone been to the track with 245/45/18's?

Originally posted by 2007blueg6gtp
    Headed to the track thursday and wanted to know what the best psi would be for my 245/45 GT's? Does a track grip much better than a normal road? I've never been to a track and need some how-to's.
    it alllll depends on the track. just drop them to 26psi
    18" Zyoxx ZX8 rims 245/40/18, Bridgestone Potenza's, Alpine Type R subs, Vector ECU Tune, DS stage 3, Magnaflow exhaust 6000k HID's, G6P member: 249

Comment

Originally posted by Swampassjr
      it alllll depends on the track.

within reason, the lower the pressure the better grip.
      2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

Originally posted by 06MaxxSS
        Originally posted by Swampassjr
        it alllll depends on the track.

within reason, the lower the pressure the better grip.
        i can do burnouts on our track that wouldn't even be possible on the street lol
        18" Zyoxx ZX8 rims 245/40/18, Bridgestone Potenza's, Alpine Type R subs, Vector ECU Tune, DS stage 3, Magnaflow exhaust 6000k HID's, G6P member: 249

Comment

How about power braking or will that just cause me to spin? I also heard its not good to heat street tires but should I do a lil spin to clean them?
          My Car Domain
          Vector 93 ECM/TCM Dyno tune, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 235/50/18 , RacingLine Motor Mounts & Strut Bar, R1 Premium drilled rotors, Custom Exhaust w/ 4" tips, Inchannel Rain Guards, Crabs CAB & Front Pipe Upgrade, GXP rear bumper, 15% Ceramic Tint, Blue Calipers, Blue Dart Overlays, Upper Window & Lower Grill Chrome, Side GTP Emblems, Chrome Door Locks, 8k HID Head & Fogs, Pioneer Head Unit, Rockford Door Speakers

Comment

the "launch pad" at most drag strips is concrete as opposed to pavement hense the crazy burnout possibilities... but the actually spray an adhesive on the launch pad for the first 30 or so feet.
            My buddies parents own a strip just outside Ottawa ON. Canada
            2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

Originally posted by 06MaxxSS
              but the actually spray an adhesive on the launch pad for the first 30 or so feet.
              doesn't work for street tires haha

Comment

it does if you put enough

the stuff ive sprayed will damn near pull your shoes off....
                2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Comment

It just depends one time I'll leave at 1600 and another 2000. You'll will want to power brake it though. Lower your tires to 24-28 where ever you want to start and bring it out at 1500 to start. Also roll the tires alittle to clean off any small rocks and avoid the water box.
                  07 3.6 GTP sedan 1/8 9.1 @ 76.9 1/4 14.19 @ 97.4 muffler delete, dyno tune, intake, ported tb
                  FWHP 230hp/235tq mustang dyno (before exhaust and ported TB)
                  "I tell everybody its my wifes car!"

Comment

How about power braking or will that just cause me to spin? I also heard its not good to heat street tires but should I do a lil spin to clean them?
                    You are correct. Drive around the water if possible. Then hold the traction control button for about 8 - 10 seconds to turn the stability control of as well as traction control. Then pull your e-brake and floor it and hold for a few seconds. Spin your tires just long enough to get all the shit off of them. Don't do it too long though because as you said, it's not good o heat up street tires as the oils start to come out of them and they will actually start to get slick.

Also, if you've never been racing before, don't go full stage (both yellow lights lit) until the other guy lights his pre-stage. It's just good etiquette. Holding your brakes, load the engine to about 2400 rpm and left off the break on the last yellow before the green and half a second later floor it :-)
                    2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
                    1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Comment

Originally posted by 07GTPBlackAndTan
                      You are correct. Drive around the water if possible. Then hold the traction control button for about 8 - 10 seconds to turn the stability control of as well as traction control. Then pull your e-brake and floor it and hold for a few seconds. Spin your tires just long enough to get all the shit off of them. Don't do it too long though because as you said, it's not good o heat up street tires as the oils start to come out of them and they will actually start to get slick.

Also, if you've never been racing before, don't go full stage (both yellow lights lit) until the other guy lights his pre-stage. It's just good etiquette. Holding your brakes, load the engine to about 2400 rpm and left off the break on the last yellow before the green and half a second later floor it :-)
                      I have dragged my bikes and cars alike and it is always good form to stage last let the other guy sweat it a little and make him try to hold his car longer.
                      street tires don't need much just a small spin, personally I like to go a bit later in the night as it cools off and you get better times

lastly I've never raced a automatic so what ever these other guys tell you, go with it
                      and don't worry about the other guy its your race !!!
                      15% tint front windows, 5% rear sides,rear,and windshield banner. red brake calipers. slotted and drilled rotors. 3 million l.e.d. underbody light kit (seldom used). 18" solstice rims with 245/40/18. Hammerhead spoiler. 2 10" eclipse subs in a sealed box. Monsoon stereo. Acoustic amps.
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3300730

Originally posted by vballchic1023
                      Being bent over the hood on a back road is fun as well

Comment

When your talking about letting the other guy pre stage does that mean that the lights don't go at the same time, or you just saying let them go first? I'm just a lil confused. I'll probably head up there just as they open so I can watch to see how other people are doing it. Is it true that the clock won't start till I go, meaning if I go a lil after the light turns green it won't affect my time?
                        My Car Domain

Comment

When your talking about letting the other guy pre stage does that mean that the lights don't go at the same time, or you just saying let them go first? I'm just a lil confused. I'll probably head up there just as they open so I can watch to see how other people are doing it. Is it true that the clock won't start till I go, meaning if I go a lil after the light turns green it won't affect my time?
                          You've got 3 sets of light. Your first set are your Pre-stage and stage lights. You'll have two yellow Pre-stage lights at the very top and two yellow Stage lights right under the pre-stage. The pre-stage lights and stage lights each correspond to a lazer at the start line. Once you pull far enough forward, your pre-stage will light up. If you creep just a few more inches then your stage lights will also light up. If you go a little further, you pre-stage will go out. What you want to do is pull foward enough to light up your pre-stage only, then let the other guys light up his pre-stage and stage. Then you can light up our stage lights.

Your second set of lights are your warning lights or your "get ready to go" lights. They are usually at a set of 3 or 4 yellow lights that blink in sequence of about .5 second between each. The countdown starts once each driver's stage lights are lit and the track guy clicks the button to start the countdown. You'll want to let off your brakes when you see the last yellow light up.

Finally, you last set of lights are your Green light and red light. If you red light, you left too soon, but gun it anyway so you can get your time.

You are correct on the timer. It doesn't start until your stage light goes out. So, you can sit there for 5 seconds if you want. However remember, the first one to the finish line wins, not the fastest ET (elapsed time).

For instance, when I raced a Subaru Legacy turbo he had a faster 1/4 mile time of 14.19 vs. my 14.35 but I still won the race because my reaction time was .196 and his was .400. That's called a hole-shot win because I had a slower ET but passed the finished line first due to reaction time being quicker

Make sense now or even more confused?

Comment

That helps alot but I'll still have to google some pics of the lights to understand better and watch some youtube videos. They have 100 unleaded octane at the track, would this help me out or just be a waste? I'm going to drive up there now to make sure I'll be able to find it and see what it looks like since it's to freaking hot out to go to the beach or pool.
                            My Car Domain

Comment

That helps alot but I'll still have to google some pics of the lights to understand better and watch some youtube videos. They have 100 unleaded octane at the track, would this help me out or just be a waste? I'm going to drive up there now to make sure I'll be able to find it and see what it looks like since it's to freaking hot out to go to the beach or pool.
                              Here ya go.

The three lights above the green are your countdown lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X