Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil change every 3 mos., 3000 miles, or just view G6 guage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil change every 3 mos., 3000 miles, or just view G6 guage?

I just changed my oil today for the first time since owning the G6. I have driven over 6,000 miles since I bought the car and it has been 5 months, yet the oil gauge said 55% until it needed to be changed. So should I still use the every 3 months / 3000 mile rules, or only change the oil when the computer says so? Thanks.

Re: Oil change every 3 mos., 3000 miles, or just view G6 guage?

i always do mine between 3-4K i dont care what the gauge said.

oil now-a-days can do a solid 5K before having to get changed.

Comment

the computer took awhile for my first oil change too. But now it seems to be about right. I usually wait for to get down to like 20%, and it works out to about 4K miles
      CRAB Option 2 w/AEM Filter, Flowmaster 80 Series Exhaust

Comment

The GM Oil life this is actually very very accurate. You can go by that fine, just schedule your maintainance when it gets to like 10% or so and you'll have it in before it gets to 0%. I usually would go every 3,000-3,500 miles either way just to get the car looked at and inspected so if any other issue pops up they catch it before it became a real problem. (Like the Serpentine belt on my GTO last time I went in for a oil change last Wed that was shredding, if i had driven it a few hundred more miles it would have snapped and i'd be SOL....).
        2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
        Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
        Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
        2005 CGM GTO.
        386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
        2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Ok thankies Sorry one last question that I hope you guys can answer. When the guy was changing my air filter, I noticed there were big leaves in the air tube. I asked him to remove them and he did, I was wondering how leaves managed to get in there and if they do anything to the performance? It wasn't clogged up with leaves, just about three leaves in there.

Comment

leaves get in there. theres a hole in the air box for well air to get in. unfortuently that means leaves and bugs can get in there too. as long as its not completly packed full of leaves any performance loss would be minimal and probly unnoticable

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
            Originally posted by snowmanG6
            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

I always try to follow the OLS, but I always end up accidentally resetting it because of GM's stupid menu system (the guy who QA'd the software needs to be fired... the friggin oil-life reset option alternates as the first and the last option in the menu button), and I end up feeling uncomfortable about it and do the oil change. It's usually 4 months have passed this happens, but I don't drive that much these days so KMs isn't that much. Last time the OLS should be at around 30%, but the oil is pitch black already.
              <-- Gray G6? Click!
              2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
              2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
              Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

i change my oil every other day, just in case the last batch was bad
                2006 Black GTP Coupe
                Dr. Speed stage 3&4 intake
                Vector Motorsports 93 octane tune
                Tinted Tail Lights
                Red painted calipers

Comment

Don't worry about leaves in the air box. The air filter is there to block these debris.

Comment

edit
                    2006 Black GTP Coupe
                    Dr. Speed stage 3&4 intake
                    Vector Motorsports 93 octane tune
                    Tinted Tail Lights
                    Red painted calipers

Comment

every 3-4k for me
                      ............... My cardomain page ................. My facebook page ...............

Comment

I try to do mine at 3k also but sometimes I end up doing it every 4k instead.
                        Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

Usually when the life gets between 10-15%, which for me works out to about 5,500 miles, or 2 1/2 months
                          Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
                          I <3 Cody.

No homo.
                          Originally posted by ahuhn
                          i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

I get it checked every 3 months, and do a full oil change every year!

It's not about how fast you get to your destination, it's about how you many heads
                            you turn when you get there...

My Progression Page
                            CarDomainMySpace

Comment

I go buy the DIC, I fucken love that feature!
                              Before the 6 I would allways forget!
                              ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
                              .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

Working...
                              X