How to: change outer tie rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: change outer tie rod

i have a 06 g6 gtp and i need to replace the left front outer tie rod. im no mechcanic but im a pretty quick learner. the part is pretty cheap but the labor is too high. Can anyone post step by step intsructions(with pics if possible)? thank you for your time.
    Silver 06' G6 GTP 3.9L Sedan: Dr. Speed coldair box, ZZPerformance Strut, CAB Option 4 in cool blue, and more to come

Re: How to: change outer tie rod

1 remove wheel
    2 remove cotter pin on tie rod
    3 break the nut loose with suitable wrench on the inner tie rod end. (might need two wrenches)
    4 remove nut on tie rod
    5 with suitable size hammer stike three times the tie rod end and should come out of hole
    6 twist off tie rod counting number of turns
    7 install new tie rod counting the same amount of turns as removal.
    8 put tie rod back in hole tighten the nut to about 20 ft lbs install new cutter pin
    9 tighten the other end with double wrenches
    10 install wheel
    11 alignment should be close enough .

Comment

note that the nut on the steering knuckle may be siezed. in which case your going to need to press down on the tie rod with a pry bar and hope it comes loose.

and get it aligned close enough and being right are 2 totaly different things. one will be correct and the other will make you pull/driift/wander and possibly destroy the tire

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

True enough, Ahuhn, but it should be good enough to drive to the alignment place, which, counting tie rod and alignment, should still be less than having a shop do it.

my $.02
        "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
        ~~GWAR's description of Hell
        SkaĆ°i: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

Originally posted by LordKOTL
          True enough, Ahuhn, but it should be good enough to drive to the alignment place, which, counting tie rod and alignment, should still be less than having a shop do it.

my $.02

correct. im just saying make sure it gets aligned b4 taking trips and the like

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
          Originally posted by snowmanG6
          you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Working...
          X