Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GTP Stock Tire (P225/50R18) Winter Review (Sumr Only: Help!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTP Stock Tire (P225/50R18) Winter Review (Sumr Only: Help!)

Ive tried to search this out as much as possible but havent really found a straight answer. Im about to pick up my GTP and dont have the $ to put new tires on right now but winter is creeping up...

Anyone have any opinions on the stock GTP (or other model I suppose) tires and winter driving?

Thanks!
    2006 G6 GTP Sedan Granite
    Cant really afford mods right now...but at some point...lol
    Paul

where do you live?

I have driven in snow and ice and have been very impressed with the way the GTP performs...with the T/C and everything i was able to keep it on the road in an ice storm when nobody else could (cars and trucks in the ditches and accidents all over)...i put it in manual mode so that i could keep it in a lower gear so i wouldnt have to brake as much, which seemed to work out really well...i was worried when i first got it bc i've always hated goodyear tires esp in slick conditions (my dad's stock goodyears on his 98 GP GTP suck) but have been impressed with ours
    -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
    Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Originally posted by blkGTPcoupe
      where do you live?
      Minnesota.

Thanks for the quick reply!
      Paul

Comment

no problem...so you prob have harsher winters than i do, but i wouldn't be too worried about it
        -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
        Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

They did okay since the t/c would kick in. I was in Wisconsin and Michigan. Pretty much any other all season performs better than the stock goodyears though.
          04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
          Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

I havent had a problem with the Chicago winter with my GTP. It has Eagle LS tires which I believe are all season.

Does this car have summer only tires?

Even if it does it shouldnt be that bad, becuase the car is FWD. My brother drove a new GTO through the winter here with summer only tires.
            2006 Black GTP Sedan

Comment

I was looking for a winter tire last year but at that time, nobody was making one in the GTP size (225 50 R1

I have the Goodyears and they were OK in the Southern Alberta winter.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                I was looking for a winter tire last year but at that time, nobody was making one in the GTP size (225 50 R1

I have the Goodyears and they were OK in the Southern Alberta winter.
                Are there tires in the GTP size available now? Thats kind of strange isnt it?
                Paul

Comment

The Tire Rack now has some Blizzaks in the right size:

Click here

I might have to pick up a set.

Comment

Why not just pick up some steel winter rims and winter tires... That way you can go with 16" rims and tires. It will cost half of what the 18" tires alone would run you.

Comment

They handled snow and ice pretty good when I first got mine, nothing great but they managed enough.

Comment

I am from MN as well. My GTP coupe has summer tires and i didnt have a problem last winter. The car is very solid on snow and crappy conditions, it wont spin out unless you e-break it. I like to drive with the TC off cause i like to feel when i am spinning out and adjust accordingly.

Comment

if you wanna keep ur car nice n shit and not get rust from the salt then make sure you get that undercoating shit... prevents you from rusting by alot... but as far as tires go.. if you aint got the money just drive a lil slower and leave a lil early til you do get some winter tires... thats what i would do
                          !~ByGe~! or !~bYgShReK~!

EVERYDAY IM HUSTLIN 24\7 365 DAYS

06' GTP COUPE, STAGE 3 CAI, CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
                          FUTURE MODS THIS YEAR: anything that gives horsepower to the wheels cuz money aint a issue
                          SHOOTING FOR HIGH 13'S
                          14.552 @ 98.20 in the 1\4 mile

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                            The Tire Rack now has some Blizzaks in the right size:

I might have to pick up a set.
                            Can you edit that link to be a little smaller?

sigpic
                            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Sorry - I was even looking at the thread going WTF? Why is this so wide?

Comment

Working...
                              X