Look who's at it again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look who's at it again!

Anything here remind you of another domestic sport coupe GM was trying to sell from, lets say 2004 to 2006????
    New GM, same stupid tactics which will lead them to the same exact fate old GM ran into.... they will never learn....
    Likewise... the new Camaro's have the same problem the F-Bodies did. They cost too much. I can't find a V6 anywhere near here less than $30,000, and if you want a L99 V8 or LS3 V8, you're looking well over $40,000 at least. Kids can run and pick up Mustangs for half the price, and these new Camaro's will sit on the lot.

For many, car-buying is an experience that rates somewhere between pouring a basket of scorpions into your underwear and a visit to the dentist from Marathon Man. Some dealerships feel like hives of villainy more wretched than even the Star Wars Cantina, though being held at gunpoint by Greedo is likely preferable to enduring the overall auto-buying process at one of those retailers. After all, as Han Solo demo

WaPo blogger wants to buy Camaro, gets dealer runaround instead

by Alex Nunez on Jul 21st 2009 at 6:01PM

For many, car-buying is an experience that rates somewhere between pouring a basket of scorpions into your underwear and a visit to the dentist from Marathon Man. Some dealerships feel like hives of villainy more wretched than even the Star Wars Cantina, though being held at gunpoint by Greedo is likely preferable to enduring the overall auto-buying process at one of those retailers. After all, as Han Solo demonstrated, one can actually "deal" with Greedo in a satisfactory manner.

Dealing with anyone in a satisfactory manner was, unfortunately, not in the cards for Washington Post blogger Vijay Ravindran, who probably would have had better luck negotiating a peace treaty with the Rancor monster in Jabba's palace. Ravindran, guest-posting at WaPo's Achenblog, reports that with his nine-year-old Bimmer beginning to feel a little tired, he was ready to make the move to a new car. Now, Ravindran is one of these people who admits that "domestic sports coupe" is not a thought that had ever tickled his synapses before, but the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro's drop-dead looks changed all that. Ravindran started with a nearby dealer that advertised Camaros in the newspaper, and things pretty much tanked from there. He called the dealer, left a voicemail requesting a test drive, and promptly never heard back. Good thing the auto market is so strong right now that dealers can turn away prospective customers so easily.

Ravindran's efforts were similarly futile as he expanded his search to other area Chevy dealers, each of whom appeared to have an aversion to the general concept of getting him into a car. Or responding to his queries at all. The dealer that did finally engage him excelled only at giving him a slimy runaround. Granted, we understand Camaros are hot commodities right now and that they may be hard to get, but Ravindran's story flies directly in the face of GM's post-bankruptcy spin about great dealers, great service, etc. You can read Ravindran's whole tale at Achenblog. As for Vijay Ravindran himself, he's no dummy: he's pretty much given up on his Camaro quest.

[Source: Washington Post's Achenblog via TTAC]
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Re: Look who's at it again!

yep.... sounds all to familiar. I doubt it will ever change either. I remember I went to a dealer and looked a G8, every salesman just walked right by me and totally ignored me. Same thing happened when i went looking at Grand Am's. The 6er however I couldn't keep the damn salemen off me. I was like some street corner hooker or something, I had something they wanted and they would stop at nothing to get it.

Comment

Reminds me of my shopping experience when looking for the Solstice coupe...
      <-- Gray G6? Click!
      2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
      2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
      Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
        Likewise... the new Camaro's have the same problem the F-Bodies did. They cost too much. I can't find a V6 anywhere near here less than $30,000, and if you want a L99 V8 or LS3 V8, you're looking well over $40,000 at least.
        Disagree, the 4th gens totally loaded were like 30K. My last SS was loaded with every SLP option and sticked for 32K. Alot of car for the money if you ask me. I had two and loved them. If anything the new ones are CHEAP if you ask me. A SS starts at just under 31K. About the same price 10 years later....My friend got his for 33K with a few add ons. A FULLY loaded one isn't 40K. The stupid dealers mark them up to that. And loaded Mustang GT's are about the same price with 100 HP less. A GT500 is almost 50K.

Comment

Pricewise though the Mustangs, even the base V6 and plain V8's, are still a hell of a lot cheaper, performance be damned. We know how Mustang owners are Thats why the F-Bodies failed. To many Mustangs being sold for far less pricetag, even if they weren't on par performance wise.

Dealer markup around here for a SS puts them STARTING at the low $30,000's and people have paid as much as $40,000 with RS package and such on a 1SS or 2SS. Mind you there's barley any for sale here and the dealers are marking them up here as well since they are rare.
          Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms

2005 CGM GTO.
          386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
          2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

^ that is very true. My brother bought his current mustang an 04 40th anniversary edition for less then 20k! He paid around 16 or 18 I can't remember. Granted it's a V6 but it does have all the special appearance stuff for the anniversary like chrome rims, badgeing, leather seats with a mustang stitched on them, a larger hood scoop...etc.

Comment

Originally posted by grfnkl
              yep.... sounds all to familiar. I doubt it will ever change either. I remember I went to a dealer and looked a G8, every salesman just walked right by me and totally ignored me. Same thing happened when i went looking at Grand Am's. The 6er however I couldn't keep the damn salemen off me. I was like some street corner hooker or something, I had something they wanted and they would stop at nothing to get it.
              I think that is the nature of a lot of dealers; not just Domestic ones, either way its bad business. The dealers by me are pretty awesome though. When the G8 first came out the salesman came out and instantly asked if I wanted to take it for a test drive even though I said I was just looking.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
              TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
              Show
              -20% tint
              -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
              -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Dealers and sales people are a lot more snobbish when a particular model is in high demand. They know they don't need to do anything and the car will sell itself so why bother. If you don't buy it someone else will so they just let the most desperate customer come to them. When the original Mazda Miata first came out my friend wanted to get it. There was a long waiting list and every one was sold at thousands above MSRP. He was also mostly ignored at the showroom floor.

Comment

The only way the arcaic dealership concept will ever change if the manufacture/brand owns there own stores! Bestbuy, Sears, Officemax ect own there own stores and I never understood why the auto industry dosent do things like every one else in the world! This is why I like Saturn they dont own there dealers/stores but they operate like they do. Alo it sounds like Penske wants to buy all the dealers and start doing bussness like everyone else in the world.
                  ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
                  .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

I think supply is still really low on the car isn't it? I used to hit up camaro5.com all the time and I still go there from time to time. It seems like people are STILL waiting for their cars to come. A lot of these people ordered their Camaros without ever even sitting in one or seeing one in person.

Seems GM is still churning out these pre-order cars and they're getting held up in places. It really doesn't surprise me that guy had a hard time finding one. I can't say I've ever seen a lot with multiple Camaros just sitting around ready to be bought. They probably don't have any/many in his area, as crappy as that is.

2008 Member Of The Year-Blue Man Group | Stock Radio Mp3/Ipod Input Installation

Comment

Pricewise though the Mustangs, even the base V6 and plain V8's, are still a hell of a lot cheaper, performance be damned. We know how Mustang owners are Thats why the F-Bodies failed. To many Mustangs being sold for far less pricetag, even if they weren't on par performance wise.

Dealer markup around here for a SS puts them STARTING at the low $30,000's and people have paid as much as $40,000 with RS package and such on a 1SS or 2SS. Mind you there's barley any for sale here and the dealers are marking them up here as well since they are rare.
                      A loaded 2010 Mustang GT is only about 1-2K less then a similar SS. Base price doesn't really mean jack. A friend jut bought his wife a loaded '10 GT. Sticker was $37,800. You have to remember that there are ALOT of dealer installed options for the SS. You could easily tack on 10K in options....

And if the SS' in your area are starting at around 30K and go up to about 40K loaded that's exactly where they should be. If you ask me the car is priced good. A loaded Challenger R/T is almost 40K as well and doesn't have near the performance of the SS.

Comment

Dont get me started on Challengers IMHO they are the best of the 3 muscle car revivals.... at least best retro style... but the prices.. just wow.

I looked, I could only find a couple used 2008 SRT8 and RT's and they were the EXACT SAME PRICE as MSRP on new ones, and MSRP was laughed at for new ones, over $5,000 over MSRP for them.

2005 CGM GTO.

Comment

Dont get me started on Challengers IMHO they are the best of the 3 muscle car revivals.... at least best retro style... but the prices.. just wow.

I looked, I could only find a couple used 2008 SRT8 and RT's and they were the EXACT SAME PRICE as MSRP on new ones, and MSRP was laughed at for new ones, over $5,000 over MSRP for them.
                          Yeah the Challengers do look awesome. You seen the Hurst ones? SICK.

Comment

I kinda have to disagree. The Camaro's are selling at a rate of 10,000 per month...faster than they can build them. And some are going for 3k over asking price. And fact is, $ for $, the Camaro is beating the Mustang for performance. Just my 2 cents....
                            2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
                            1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Comment

Dealers here are being quite fair about it...

I went down the other day and the salesman offered me thier black base with RS package for 27k

I told him base is for balding men having a midlife crisis so he said he would have an SS fully loaded on order for me for about 43k, "since you sound like that kind of guy"

Damn near filled out the paperwork except for the fact that he couldnt get it to me until october, at which time the snow will be falling for me and the car will be no fun until april

They cant keep them on thier lots here, that black one sold the next day, meanwhile i see new mustangs still sittin at the dealers collecting dust ( i do love that glass roof though..)

demand is high because they are somewhat limited, especially SS, so some dealers are going to follow thier basic supply/demand knowledge and raise the prices...
                              2008 Pontiac G6 GXP -AIT Kit - Rear Tint - 18s - Coming Soon: Tinted Tails, GT-R,
                              2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
                              1982 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Comment

Working...
                              X