Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G8 To Live On Afterall!! (UPDATE:Um, maybe?? who knows, pg6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G8 To Live On Afterall!! (UPDATE:Um, maybe?? who knows, pg6)

Well.. many of you heard that mr. Fritz said he's not a fan of rebadging when reporters asked him about the fate of the G8 when Pontiac dies, and whether is was destined to be a Chevy or not (Since they sell it as the LuminaSS in the Middle East already...)... so all hopes were dead... but..

BREAKING: Lutz says Pontiac G8 to survive as Chevy Caprice in U.S.; Camaro Z28 reportedly dead

by Alex Nunez on Jul 11th 2009 at 12:19P

2009 Chevy Caprice SS (Middle East) - Click above for a high-res photo gallery

Bob Lutz is back, and after what seems like five minutes into his job as GM's new marketing kingpin, he's doing what he does best: making headlines. Rest assured that this is a good thing, as El Generalissimo Roberto Maximo told Automobile Magazine that yes, the Pontiac G8 will live on in the United States as the Chevy Caprice. So much for Fritz "I'm not a fan of rebadging" Henderson's statement to the contrary a couple of weeks ago.

"The last time we looked at [the G8], we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet. It is kind of too good to waste," Lutz told the mag. As for the G8 being "too good to waste": Amen to that, Bob. This also makes us wonder if law enforcement-grade models will be part of the deal with Holden to continue production. Chevy Caprice police cars? That's got a very familiar ring to it. The next question is whether a U.S. Caprice would mimic the Middle East-market Caprice, which is based on the long-wheelbase Holden Caprice/Statesman, or whether it will simply be a Chevy-badged version of the standard-wheelbase Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8/Chevrolet Lumina. Frankly, as long as there's ultimately a Caprice SS that is identical to the Pontiac G8 GXP in every critical way, we don't care.

In his conversation with Automobile, Lutz also essentially confirms that next year's Cadillac CTS coupe will be joined by a V-series variant, saying that the CTS-V coupe was the car that had most of the Presidential Task Force members' tongues wagging during the product-pipeline tour they were given by GM. Lutz even hints that a CTS-V wagon is not completely out of the question. (We'll take the wagon in brown, with the stick, Bob.)

On the bad news side, in a separate blog post, Automobile reports that Lutz kind of throws dirt on the idea of an LSA-powered Camaro Z28 (though he doesn't specifically state that the program's toast). He says that for "mainstream" sports models like the Camaro, powerful sixes (like the one in the Camaro LS and LT) and turbo fours (like the one used in the now-dead Cobalt SS, HHR SS and Solstice GXP) are more indicitive of the automaker's future direction in that regard. Hmmm. Well then, how about bolting a blower to the direct-injected V6?

Welcome back, Bob. This sounds like it could get pretty fun.
    Bob's back... this might change my opinion if Bob stays on as I bet he will pitch for a Pontiac revival once the smoke clears in a year or so..
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Re: G8 To Live On Afterall!!

Caprice? That sounds so gay for a g8 rebadge. As long as it isn't a lumina I guess it's fine. The last gen luminas were epic shit.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

A caprice?! Now the fate of the G8 turns it into a Police cruiser. I'm glad to see it live on but I'd rather hear that Pontiac was being brought back as the way for it to live on.

Comment

Thats good to hear!

And just like the quote said...

The next question is whether a U.S. Caprice would mimic the Middle East-market Caprice, which is based on the long-wheelbase Holden Caprice/Statesman, or whether it will simply be a Chevy-badged version of the standard-wheelbase Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8/Chevrolet Lumina. Frankly, as long as there's ultimately a Caprice SS that is identical to the Pontiac G8 GXP in every critical way, we don't care.

FourDoorMafia MySpace | YouTube

Current Mods: ZZP Strut Bar | CRAB FPU w/Fenderwell Intake
        Future Mods: Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
        Fabrication: Rear Strut Bar

Comment

Sorry, but this pisses me off more. If the car was "too good to waste" then they should at least keep it on as it is - the Pontiac G8. If you REALLY had to, cut Pontiac to a single car model, the G8, but if you could swing, it, do a double model, G6 and G8. Cut the vibe, solstice, G3, G5, etc. Let dealers sell the one or two models for a while and then when the company gets back on their feet, breathe new life into Pontiac through a completely new model line. Bob, I had distant hopes your return would be the "second coming" of GMjesus, and you'd find a way to retain Pontiac and keep me loyal to your company...but by giving this car to Chevy instead of putting up a fight for our beloved brand (and from what I'd read in earlier articles, you allegedly had a soft spot for it as well), I have once again lost faith.
          2009 PONTIAC G8
          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Kinda surprised it wasn't gonna replace the Imapla. As long as there is a Caprice SS I might replace the G6 with one in a year or so. More annoyed that the Z28 looks to be dead, at least for now....

Comment

Originally posted by ragingfish
              Sorry, but this pisses me off more. If the car was "too good to waste" then they should at least keep it on as it is - the Pontiac G8. If you REALLY had to, cut Pontiac to a single car model, the G8, but if you could swing, it, do a double model, G6 and G8. Cut the vibe, solstice, G3, G5, etc. Let dealers sell the one or two models for a while and then when the company gets back on their feet, breathe new life into Pontiac through a completely new model line. Bob, I had distant hopes your return would be the "second coming" of GMjesus, and you'd find a way to retain Pontiac and keep me loyal to your company...but by giving this car to Chevy instead of putting up a fight for our beloved brand (and from what I'd read in earlier articles, you allegedly had a soft spot for it as well), I have once again lost faith.
              That never would have worked. All the money involved to keep Pontiac around for one car just wouldn't be cost effective in this day and age. I'm just glad it's staying around in some form....

Comment

too bad they butchered it to look nothing like a g8
                done: CRAB CAB woot woot!, aftermarket black taillights, chrome upper recessed grilles, dual rear valance and gt-r exhaust system, duplicolor red painted calipers with R1 concept e-line drilled and slotted rotors and posi-quiet ceramic brake pads all around
                to do (soon): window tint
                to do, maybe (later): painted headlights, color matched recessed grilles
                need: g6performance.com decals
                cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2687601 *not yet updated with the new g6*

Comment

Originally posted by datexasdude
                  too bad they butchered it to look nothing like a g8
                  Only thing different is the bumper and wheels? Not to mention that is a Middle Eastern spec car, nothing says that exactly what we're gonna get here....

Comment

i dont really like the style...

Comment

Originally posted by Tupperware SC2
                      i dont really like the style...
                      But only due to the upper grille.
                      And really?Caprice? C'mon...
                      2006 FOM GTP 6MT
                      Current Mods:Racingline Strut Bar/Motor Mounts, Injen Clone CAI,KYB Struts,
                      10" Solobaric L7, 2200 watt Power Akoustic Amp, 5 farad Cap, 3000k HID Fogs, r1 Premium Rotors/Ceramic pads,Redline Tunning QUICKLIFTS, 'HDGDS' Lip,All debaged except GTP, all black arrowhead overlays, eyebrow overlays.

Comment

i don't like how the grill is apart of the hood

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

the G8

Becomes this horrible eye sore??? with a shitty ass name to go with it.

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                          Originally posted by ahuhn
                          so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

^^^

The G8 looks sexy as hell.................and they just killed it!!!

They might aswell rename it the chevy VEGA........

Originally posted by BAMBAMM
                            I'm about the best wingman in the San Joaquin Valley...........I'm the guy that will hit on the ugly friend, so you can swoop in and bag the hottie friend.

Comment

OH yeah seeing the comparison, I rather have the 8. the only thing I like a little better on the chevy version is the headlights but even then it's so little that I could cared less which are on the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X