Steering Wheel Swap Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Wheel Swap Question

Hey everyone, this is not your typical steering wheel question so please read and help if you can. Here goes:

I have a fully loaded GTP with a 4 spoke wheel (long story) which has the cruise and radio buttons already in it and want to go to a 3 spoke wheel with the cruise and radio buttons. So same options, just the 3 spoke wheel instead of the 4 spoke.

Does anyone know if these two wheels use the same plugs, connectors and wiring? Please help if you can!

Thanks in advance.

heres one topic on it.

If you read down in this section just a little you will find it. Also you can use the search function.
    G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
    Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
    Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
    20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

I read throught that thread already... His project was to install the wheel with radio controls in it.. I already have that.

I'm interested in swapping from a 4 spoke radio wheel, to a 3 spoke radio wheel.

I have run several searches, but there are only a couple threads I have managed to come across, and they all deal with installing the radio controls into a car that didn't have them from the factory.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Re: Steering Wheel Swap Question

Originally posted by MaDgamEr
        Does anyone know if these two wheels use the same plugs, connectors and wiring? Please help if you can!

Thanks in advance.
        I would assume if you are thinking of changing the steering wheel that you would have a whole steering wheel assembly including the switches and the small wiring harness that is in the steering wheel. You would need that since it it different than one in the 4 spoke wheel.

You would need a new driver airbag module.

Wiring to steering wheel from vehicle would be OK as is since you are switching from a 2006 model vehicle.

After doing this the radio steering wheel controls would not work correctly however that would be due to radio configuration not a wiring problem.

Comment

It should work just fine if your talking about the stock 3 spoke.
          Plug and play... as you already have a 7 way F Molex harness.
          You will just be out the expense of a new airbag as well as the wheel.
          Now....what are you going to do with that 4 spoke with the radio controls?
          I would be very interested in that to do a simular project but I want to keep the 4 spoke.
          Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
          Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
          WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

You mean you prefer the 4 spoke wheel??

The reason I'm looking to do this is because I think the 3 spoke wheel looks much better in the car than the 4 spoke does.

Comment

Yup...sure do. They modeled it after the one in the concept car.
              I would just like the leather wrapped one with the stereo controls.
              Wanna offset your costs by unloading your 4 spoke to me?
              What color is it? Leather wrapped?

Looks like this?

MODS:

Comment

That is exactly the one I have in my car... Leather, cruise and radio.

I just like the look of the 3 spoke, mind you I haven't driven a G6 with the 3 spoke yet, so maybe I should do that first.

I'm also gonna have to see how much an airbag module for the 3 spoke will cost, and I have a bad feeling about that!

Comment

Yup....the expense of mine doesnt even include an airbag
                  and it stopped me dead in my tracks. At least with you
                  there is someone looking for your used part (me). No one
                  wants a 4 spoke sans the radio controls or leather so my
                  take offs would be trash. You could probably dump your 4 spoke
                  air bag on e-Bay. Just an idea if you chose this endeaver.
                  Good thing is they are interchangeable and you have the correct harness.
                  I could pull all mine apart and not have the correct harness.
                  Odds are that I do as they usually put the upgraded harness in the
                  XM cars.... or so I have been told by a line man with Pontiac.
                  The key word on mine is usually. Sooo I could buy it and it wont work.
                  Wont know till I pull the wheel.
                  Dont wanna do that without a part.
                  Dont want to buy a part due to expense of a new one.... Catch 22.

MODS:

Comment

Im on standby...let me know if you wanna get rid of your old rotten 4 spoke after you upgrade.

MODS:

Comment

Will do... Just waiting to get a call back from the dealer about the price of the airbag module for the 3 spoke. Will post back when I have the numbers...

Comment

Any news or did you move on...?

MODS:

Comment

Well, I think the swap is off... the connectors are identical, and only a mild reprogramming of the monsoon unit is required, but the price of the new airbag unit is absolutely astronomical. So, its not looking like it'll happen. Too bad.

Comment

Steering wheel swap

The picture shows that you actually have different radio controls than the three spoke. We don't have the Source and Band buttons. They are definitely something I miss. It is a pain to have to reach the head unit to perform these functions.

Comment

My GT has the 4 spoke, I've looked at some 07's with the 3 spoke and thought, I really don't like that...but each to his own, right.
                              2006 G6 GT Liquid Silver Sedan with leather package, Monsoon sound w/6 CD, 17" alloy rims, standard sunroof, Dr Speed CAB, GM strut bar...

Comment

Working...
                              X