Thermostat Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat Replacement

Has anyone replaced theirs with a lower degree one, suggestively a 180* thermostat? I know my GP had a 195* in it. I dropped in the 180* and my car loved it. Anyone know part #'s for G6 thermostats?
    Racing in a Honda is like the special olympics. If you win you're still retarded.

Ignorance isn't bliss, it's moronic.

My presvios car I had I played with it and though I helped but dollar for dollar the thermostat unless your doing it becuase you have extra money to spend and want to put it on your self as a project its better not to touch. But thats just my oppion esp if the car is stock, which am guessing it is.
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I have heard plenty of issues of where people do this. Usually it is in highly tuned vehicles and such. Couple years ago i asked my buddy if this would really help with anything and he said he didnt see how it could (my buddy has owned his own garage). So i duno, does it really help?

On a side not:
      First name is Danger
      Last name is Russ
      That would make you DangerRuss Sorry dude, but that is a great screename
      Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

I know in the older older vehicles it helps out a lot, I obviously changed out thermostats in my 77 camaro and other vehicles I have owned. Newer cars I think wouldn't benefit from it at all. Just my 2 cents though.
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

The major benefit that you would get out of a lower * thermostat would be that the engine would stay cooler. Drawbacks....none.

Computers are similar to cars. The cooler the CPU the longer, faster, stronger it will run. Similar to a car. Were talking about 14 degrees cooler engine here people. The thermostats are 6 bucks tops at Autozone. Currently G6's have a 196* thermostat. Anyone know of a part# for these, or will I have to take my stock one out to find out?

I'm throwing a 180* thermostat in. If anyone has done these before, PM me.
          Racing in a Honda is like the special olympics. If you win you're still retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyz
            I have heard plenty of issues of where people do this. Usually it is in highly tuned vehicles and such. Couple years ago i asked my buddy if this would really help with anything and he said he didnt see how it could (my buddy has owned his own garage). So i duno, does it really help?
            The point of a thermostat is to control the temperature of your motor to maintain a safe level of operation. Putting in a lower temp t-stat allows it to open at a lower temperature in order to allow coolant to keep the car at said temperature. With that said, if you don't understand the benefits of keeping your motor cooler then I suggest setting down the keys and backing away from the vehicle.

Originally posted by Dangeruss
            The major benefit that you would get out of a lower * thermostat would be that the engine would stay cooler. Drawbacks....none.
            I would just be careful with how low you go, I would suspect anything below 180 will most likely throw a code.
            06 Pontiac G6 GTP

Comment

Well every one has their own opinon, if you want to go ripping around in your engine that has a WARRANTY go for it. As for the rest of us-I live in AZ where it is litteraly living in hell and my car doesn't go above 200-205 which is pretty damn good IMO. Like I always say, to each his own. Good luck in your endevours
              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Reducing the coolant temp in a new car designed to run at that temp will generally lower the gas milage. The car runs that warm to burn the fuel more efficently and for the emissions system.
                My G6 hits the 200 mark on the temp gage and never leaves it till I shut it off.
                G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

All good points. The best one would be that I still have an active warranty, and I don't want to void that. I'm assuming our cars have an ODBIII connection. Does anyone know if the interceptor guage works with this? I haven't seen guage pods yet either for the G6.

Comment

All good points. The best one would be that I still have an active warranty, and I don't want to void that. I'm assuming our cars have an ODBIII connection. Does anyone know if the interceptor guage works with this? I haven't seen guage pods yet either for the G6.
                    Its a OBD2 Can Bus style system.

I don't see the point unless you're suffering from knock due to temprature.
                    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                    334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Changing the stat to a cooler opening could help performance slightly, and I do mean slightly. But in order to take advantage of the cooler stat, you also have to re-program the ecm to kick on the fans at a lower temp. Also keep in mind, that the ecm sees the cooler temp and adds more fuel. This could very possibly cause the car not to pass an emissions test.

Comment

Soooo........R you saying you have a Type-R pontiac G6??????? I sure as hell would like to know.....didn't know pontiac would create something so foolishly.

I never had to reprogram my PCM in my GP. The thermostat is designed to open and close at particular temperatures. That's one of the reasons some people drill a hole in their thermostats in order to get a cooler running engine.

It's not really a performance factor, it's more of a longer lasting, cooler engine.

Emissions has nothing to do with the replacement of a cooler thermostat. The intake temperatures determines when the PCM will add more fuel to the mixture for combustion.

Comment

Soooo........R you saying you have a Type-R pontiac G6??????? I sure as hell would like to know.....didn't know pontiac would create something so foolishly.
                          He isnt saying he has a Type-R pontiac from his pic, Thats his company, GT-R exhaust. So if you read the articals about GT-R products thats him. He makes a bolt on exhaust kit for the G6. He is one of the few aftermarket suppliy companies for the G6, I would listen to him out of most people he would know.
                          2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                          Gotta have it Green color
                          Brembo brake package
                          420 HP 5.0L
                          Ford Racing Power Pack
                          GT500 track pack differential cover
                          BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Rightooo....I'll be sure to remember that when I look for a bolt on exhaust.

Comment

You could be the first to have a type-R G6!

just go to autozone... get some stickers, and you are all set!

Originally posted by TLS2000
                              Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                              http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                              GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Working...
                              X