Power limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power limits

I did a search and found a lot of answers that seemed to be mere speculation. But does anyone know the limits of our stock engines and trannies?

I'm seriously thinking of adding a supercharger, but I don't want to have to build the bottom end and the tranny.

CMR tuned Predator by RDP ,Borla 125 cat-back,AEM Brute Force CAB,KW V1s Coilovers,Hotchkis Swaybars

what transmission do you have?

the auto is rated to 280 ft-lbs...

and I'd say you can assume they'd put in a factor of safety of at least 10%... so I'd think you'd be good to ~310 ft-lbs.... as long as you don't slam the throttle too bad... (which considering these are FWD, won't do you much good anyway) you're just gonna break traction

until you get some wider wheels/tires, and do some suspension work
    Originally posted by TLS2000
    Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
    GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
      what transmission do you have?

the auto is rated to 280 ft-lbs...

and I'd say you can assume they'd put in a factor of safety of at least 10%... so I'd think you'd be good to ~310 ft-lbs.... as long as you don't slam the throttle too bad... (which considering these are FWD, won't do you much good anyway) you're just gonna break traction

until you get some wider wheels/tires, and do some suspension work
      Nice! I should have no problems crab walking with that much power. Any idea on the motor's specs or better yet where I can find them?

Thanks,

Ed

CMR tuned Predator by RDP ,Borla 125 cat-back,AEM Brute Force CAB,KW V1s Coilovers,Hotchkis Swaybars

Comment

bleh I forgot to add, I do have the auto.

Comment

No one so far has really tested the limits of the motor. The most people have done on the motor is intake, catback, and ECU. I don't know if the trans was in other cars first so there may be more knowledge about it somewhere else.
          04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
          Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

Yeah, the numbers I gave you are just an educated guess... but are what I'm gonna go by.

I would like to get mine to 300+ ft-lbs by the end of the year
            Originally posted by TLS2000
            Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
            GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

good luck with that, hope you have lots of cash laying around
              -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
              Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

The bottom end of the motor is nothing special. I'm not sure what the stock CR is but I'd be hesitant to put any kind of serious boost on the car. That and I'd imagine anything near 300 ft/lbs of tq would make quick work of the tranny.
                2005 G6 GT, DD duty and lovin it.
                1995 Firebird Formula, tire shredding money pit.

Comment

just start off with low amounts of boost and work your way up keeping an eye on things. you can be the guiney pig lol

Comment

When I was first in the Ecotec scene it was found that with stock internals and minor tuning an ecotec would take an easy 12 pounds of boost with a max of upwards of 20 pounds which in my mind was absolutely crazy. This is why the Cobalt SS and Redline run fine sc'ed-which led me to believe these stock boosted engines must have forged internals and what not but no they do not. Just some food for thought for you ecotec owners out there.
                    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

This is true. There is a Solstice turbo kit on the market allowing I believe 8 psi of boost on stock internals so Im sure more boost is possible. Of course injectors and a tune would have to be in order.

As for the 4T45 i dont think it could handle more than 300 ft lbs at least not constantly,however the 4t65 I know for a fact can easilly withstand 350 ft lbs of daily driven torque. Most people with Grand Prix GTP's run about that much with an intake, exhaust, pulley, and tune.

Anyone be interested in seeing a 5 speed swap from a Cobalt to a G6? Im thinkin about it. The trans bolts up but the mounts may have to be custom, as well as the shift linkage and clutch assembly. Who knows?
                      2007 G5 Base Model
                      Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

I'm thinking the weak link is going to be the transmissions for sure. Someone will eventually test the limits of these cars, I'd like to hope that they can handle around 350hp, but we'll see I guess.
                        2007 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71 4x4

Comment

eh, if I wanted anything over 300hp I would have bought the GTO. I'm happy with the 10-15 hp an intake/exhaust combo might add.
                          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

i don't really have a hp goal. i will just keep throwing money at it as it becomes available untill i am happy.

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                              eh, if I wanted anything over 300hp I would have bought the GTO. I'm happy with the 10-15 hp an intake/exhaust combo might add.
                              I could have bought a used GTO, but I'd rather have a nice year round car than a GTO and a piece of shit beater. And I dont think 300+hp would be bad in the winter in this car. This local guy, who i think is crazy for doing this, drives his 500fwhp 2003 impala in the winter lol.
                              2007 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X