4-speed automatics on their way out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-speed automatics on their way out

Transmission supplier Jatco Ltd. believes that by 2015 the 4-speed automatic transmission will be no more. Shigeo Ishida, president of the company, says that newer transmission technologies, like 6-speed automatics and CVTs, will rapidly replace the quartet of cogs that had for some time been a standard in most autos.

4-speed automatics on their way out
    Posted Aug 7th 2006 9:54PM by John Neff
    Filed under: Tech

Transmission supplier Jatco Ltd. believes that by 2015 the 4-speed automatic transmission will be no more. Shigeo Ishida, president of the company, says that newer transmission technologies, like 6-speed automatics and CVTs, will rapidly replace the quartet of cogs that had for some time been a standard in most autos.

It is true that 4-speed automatics are fast becoming a criticism of vehicles that still use them. The Corvette made do with a 4-speed auto all the way up to its 2006 model year, for instance, when it was replaced by a six-speed unit. Of course, the Vette had more than enough torque to make up for its lack of gears, as do pickups like GM's new GMT900 trucks that are also debuting with 4-speed automatics.

[Source: Automotive News]
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

I can't say that's a bad thing
    Originally posted by TLS2000
    Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
    GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

yeah they should get rid of the 4 speed!! I hate my 4 speed Automatic no manual was offered for mine !!

2006 Black G6 Sedan , Mobil 1, Custom license Frame Plate, Solar Gard Flim 20% Tint ,Vision Bulbs 6000k HID

Comment

I find it funny though because cars in the 60s only needed 3 gears to get by, and some had four. Cars like the Stingray are just as fast, if not faster than cars today, and they didn't need 5+ gears. Is more really better?
        -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

there were some 2-speed autos

Comment

I find it funny though because cars in the 60s only needed 3 gears to get by, and some had four. Cars like the Stingray are just as fast, if not faster than cars today, and they didn't need 5+ gears. Is more really better?
            More is definitely better. Theoretically, CVT is the best. GM transmissions (and some engines) are really technologically behind the competition. If we have a 6 speed auto in the G6, it will give noticeably better acceleration and better gas mileage.

Comment

Definitely not a bad thing if you ask me. With all the crap they are doing these days i cant beleive there are still trannys that perform like these do. Tons of power in the motors but the trannys hold the car back.
              Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

do we have to call them trannys?

I think this is one word worth spelling out...

Comment

I really cant belive the 4spd has been around as long it has been as a primary tranny. A 5spd auto for years is more practial, performance and MPG
                  2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                  Gotta have it Green color
                  Brembo brake package
                  420 HP 5.0L
                  Ford Racing Power Pack
                  GT500 track pack differential cover
                  BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I think of having more of something is probably good..but then there are more things that can go wrong with it.
                    -Mike #1

Comment

Working...
                    X