How to: Install 3.6L Manifold Insulators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: Install 3.6L Manifold Insulators

Update: June 25th, 2009 - Do not use your stock bolts. Use the $20 refund Steve gave us and buy new 4 new 8 mm x 200 mm hex head bolts for the 4 center bolts for the manifold.

This is really easy. Easier than engine mount inserts. Total time for install was right at 1 hour. The hardest part if making sure you reconnect the 8 or so plugs and hoses back onto the intake manifold. I'm not doing a really detailed write up, because frankly, as long as you know where all the connectors are, it's easy. Just a couple things to note. The bolts Mace sent are too short so use your new purchased 8 x 200 mm bolts (PM me if you can't find any and I'll tell you a place that will ship them). Also, make sure you put silicone on both sides of the insulator.

1. Disconnect all the necessary connectors, hoses and nuts and bolts (see pictures where things are circled in red.

2. Align manifold insulators onto the lower intake manifold to make sure you have them on the right way.

3. Put a fine bead of silicone gasket maker on the underside of the insulators and let dry for like 10 minutes.

4. Put the insulators back onto the lower intake manifold and let dry for 45 minutes.

5. Put a fine bead of silicone gasket maker on the topside of the insulator and let dry 15 minutes.

6. Put the upper intake manifold onto the insulators and let sit 45 minutes.

6. Using the newly bought 8mm x 200mm bolts, bolt the manifold into place and torque to 17 lbs.

7. Reconnect all the connectors, hoses, nuts and bolts circled in red.

Now, I noticed that immediately after putting them on, I had REALLY rough idle, like a choke that wasn't pulled out far enough. Running lean almost. After I got moving though, it pretty much went away and until I was coasting. My TSC light came on and the DIC said "Service Traction". I kept driving and it went away later to come back on. It's been doing that (off, on, off, on) and I finally thew a check engine light. I went to Autozone and they confirmed with the codes that I was running lean on both banks 1 and 2. So, I think the added air is making her run lean.

Now, after I've driven about 30 or so miles, the idle has calmed down back to normal. I had Autozone clear my codes, but they came back. I'm going to have them clear the codes again and add some Octane boost to see if that will help at all. One thing to note is that I have a Vector tune, so some of you stock ECM guys may not run into this.

I wonder that the more I drive it, the computer will start to adjust for the lean, much like it adjusts for the JET fake chip. Either way, I'm gonna give Vector a call and see what they say tomorrow.

So far, no seat of the pants difference. Not like the GT-R or ECM tune was anyway. I will say though that after running the shit out of her for several highway miles and parking, I was able to put my hand on top of the manifold, so the heat transfer is definitely less. I have noticed no decline in top end performance at all, which is good. I haven't really pushed her too hard though since I still have the check engine codes to fix.

I have email Mace to see if I can get some input from them on this. We'll see what they say. Even with this stuff, I would highly recommend going and ahead and doing the install. It's pretty easy and then we'll know how your cars respond and compare. Now for the pictures.

UPDATE (June 7th): Mace came back and said that it can take up to a couple hundred miles for the engine to adjust to the increased efficiency of the manifold setup. Steve said that the only problems he's run into is folks with tunes may take longer and perhaps need just a tweak to the tune, but nothing major. I'll try to put some miles on her this week and see if things straighten out. I've decided not to use the Octane boost for now, but may try it after putting a couple hundred miles on her if I'm still getting the codes.

UPDATE (June 12th): I re-did the install using more sealant and new 8mm x 200mm bolts. Everything is perfect. Now get to installing!!

Comparing new insulator vs. stock gasket

After installation

There ya go. Post questions here and I'll answer them for everybody to learn.
    2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
    1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Re: How to: Install 3.6L Manifold Insulators

this is a great write up....thanks for giving us 3.6 guys/gals the info with great looking pictures.hope to hear about the out come of the mil light situation.

Comment

Originally posted by oomonte
      this is a great write up....thanks for giving us 3.6 guys/gals the info with great looking pictures.hope to hear about the out come of the mil light situation.
      No problem!! I'm sure it will straighten out sooner or later. Steve said it could take up to a couple hundred miles for the computer to adjust to the increased efficiency. So, I'll just have to drive her a little more than usual this week.

Comment

I probably wont install these until your cel doesnt come on anymore or you hear from Vector or Chris. The cel is probably like the one I got when I put the JET maf sensor on. Seems like theres too much airflow now and octane boost wont solve that issue.

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
        4 door mafia
        93 octane VMS ecm/tcm tune
        8000k hid's
        Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
        Rotofab cai and radiator cover
        13.207@107.11
        330 hp/328 tq on a Mustang dyno

Comment

A vacuum leak would cause lean codes. You should make sure all the hoses are connected right and check any other place air could leak in.
          Born: 2/16/2007 -- Best Time: 14.20 @ 98.61 MPH -- 240 WHP & 205 WTQ -- Blueprinted and Balanced

- U.C. Tinted Tails - Dr. S Stage 3 - SRC Dyno Tune - Eibach Pro Kit - C.I. FPU - Scuba's Aux. Retrofit -
          - 08 SS/TC Brembo Conversion - Ported Heads & I.M - MACE I.M.S. - RacingLine MMI - O.T.T.P. SRS -
          - MMS Headers - ClassicPerformance Exhaust - Powerbond UDP - CF Catch Can - Racingline Strutbar -

Comment

You have an aftermarket tune, so it will never "self adjust" to the differences. You will probably have to have your ECM retuned if it's not an installation problem like steelgray said.

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

Originally posted by steelgraygtp
              A vacuum leak would cause lean codes. You should make sure all the hoses are connected right and check any other place air could leak in.
              That's another thing Steve said I needed to check for. I admit, when I first turned the car on the idel was rough as hell and then I remembered that I hadn't torqued the manifold bolts down. After doing that, I was great. I think I'll take the bolts back out tomorrow and put a better bead of silicone around there to make sure I have a solid seal. I might see if a longer bolt would allow me to snug it down a little more also.

Will report back tomorrow.

Comment

quick question.... why use bolts instead of studs there....

IMO the studs will give you more clamping uniformity that the bolts.

Also, the rough idle could be a leak, go around the insulator with some carb cleaner or water sprayer.

And, it helps to spread the bead of silicone, even better, some indian head gasket adhesive

Comment

Originally posted by SmartGTP
                  I just reused the stock ones that came with the car as the ones sent with the kit were too short.

Also, the rough idle could be a leak, go around the insulator with some carb cleaner or water sprayer.

And, it helps to spread the bead of silicone, even better, some indian head gasket adhesive
                  Steve said I could check with some soapy water. However, doesn't the air get sucked in, not blown out? So I wouldn't see where it was leaking would I? I'll pull the manifold off tomorrow and re-bead. How quickly does that stuff dry? Should I take a razor and clean it off before I rebead? I'll check out the Indian head gasket stuff. Thanks for the thoughts.

Comment

I'm going to sit in the bleachers until I see how this turns out. I don't have a tune but since you agreed to be the guinea pig.....
                    Mods: Lampoon's crabs under my hood (CAB and FPU w/K&N)
                    Partial debadging, blackout window chrome and black overlays; Racingline FSB;
                    Redline Elite Quick Lifts; HSRK; intake resonator delete

Comment

Originally posted by standfast
                      I'm going to sit in the bleachers until I see how this turns out. I don't have a tune but since you agreed to be the guinea pig.....
                      Yo, for you guys waiting to see, I may have a leak on my silicone that is causing all this. The best way for us to see if the problem is wide spread or just my incompetence is to have some others do the install too and spread the silicone bead better. If you all want to sit on $100 product, that's fine, but frankly if I were you I'd just take the hour to install it and see if the other guy (me in this case) is the dumb ass that couldn't get the gasket right. It's not like it messing me up, just running a little lean. So, take an hour out of your day and do it. Chance are you can learn from my mistake and do it right. Just me though.

Comment

Originally posted by 07GTPBlackAndTan
                        I just reused the stock ones that came with the car as the ones sent with the kit were too short.

Steve said I could check with some soapy water. However, doesn't the air get sucked in, not blown out? So I wouldn't see where it was leaking would I? I'll pull the manifold off tomorrow and re-bead. How quickly does that stuff dry? Should I take a razor and clean it off before I rebead? I'll check out the Indian head gasket stuff. Thanks for the thoughts.

air will get sucked in causing a misfire....that is why I prefer carb cleaner.... you will feel the engine different, unless is leaking all around the insulator.

Dunno you will need a re-tune for that, you are only creating more volume in the manifold, hence faster response. You are not entering more air into the cylinder.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Comment

Use propane, alot safer and relatively easy to control.
                          Chris White
                          http://www.GTOShiftLight.com
                          2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
                          2012 CTS-V 1 of 57 Custom IPC/BCM/Radio Corsa/LPE CAI
                          2012 Cherokee SRT8 - Stockish
                          2013 SRX - Custom IPC, BCM and CUE
                          2013 XTS Platinum - Custom IPC

Comment

idk...

that looks like a throttle body spacer that is along the intake runners... it looks like plywood.

and you should have used RTV and not silicone.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupperware SC2
                              idk...

that looks like a throttle body spacer that is along the intake runners... it looks like plywood.

and you should have used RTV and not silicone.
                              That's what it was "Permatex Ultra Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker".

Comment

Working...
                              X