Are the monsoon decks different decks or just programmed dif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the monsoon decks different decks or just programmed dif

I just installed a 6 disk changer to replace the base radio and had the theftlock programmed for my car. When I started it up, the radio displayed monsoon. Now the radio doesnt sound as good as the base unit. Im guessing because its set up for the monsoon and it thinks it is running through an amp so the volume is compensated for it. I didnt have time to have the mechanic check it out because I had my 2 little ones with me and we were already there for 1.5 hours. I have heard that programming these units are kinda trial and error to get them set up right. So hopefully I can have it programmed for a non monsoon system!

Is there only 3 radios available for the g6? Base, single cd upgrade, 6 disk upgrade? Can the single cd upgrade and the 6 cd changer be programmed for monsoon and non monsoon? Or are the monsoons completely different units.

I personally would think the monsoon to be a totally different unit! Since it runs through an amp the ohms and output wattage might be totally different!
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

I would have to agree with ^^ 100%. Factory non-amp and amped systems are totally different beast. Nothing like aftermarket stereos and amps. So i would have to say no, they are not programable in the aspect your talking about.
      Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

I personally would think the monsoon to be a totally different unit! Since it runs through an amp the ohms and output wattage might be totally different!
        Thank you for your imput.

But Im thinking that if they are different units, the monsoons would have no internal amp in the unit since all monsoons use a seperate amp. It doesnt make much since to have 2 sources of power when only one is needed. If this was the case, I would have no sound through my speakers. I have sound but the quality just isnt as good as the base unit. It sounds like there are crossovers that are adjusted for the monsoon unit.

Anyone out there know from experiance? I appreciate educated guesses but I need to know a definate answer.

Comment

Originally posted by 06REDG6
          I appreciate educated guesses but I need to know a definate answer.
          Unless e2helper logs on your best bet is to call a dealership?!

Comment

I appreciate educated guesses but I need to know a definate answer.
            Unless e2helper logs on your best bet is to call a dealership?!
            I called several dealerships and they cant help. They all said that there is 10 different radios for the g6. All they have is the part numbers and no description for each radio.

Another reason I am thinking they are programmed and not seperate units is because the monsoon units used to have the word "monsoon" on the face of the unit. Now in the g6 it just comes up on the display at start up. I dont know, Im just thinking out loud I guess.

PLEASE HELP E2HELPER!!

Maybe I should change the name of the subject title to get his attention?

Comment

I'm not 100% sure he would know the answer, he's probably just your best bet!

Comment

I thought it was just Monsoon because of the amp in the trunk...that says "Monsoon" on it. And if you look on gm-parts-dealer.com, they only list two players...one without the 6-disc changer, and one with it.
                -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Something I can help with

There are 3 different levels of radio. Plus Canadian version with different graphics (fewer English words). So all together 6 different parts.

Anyways I don't remember capability of the base radio but definitely for the uplevel CD and CD changer these radios are programmable for a few different options including whether or not they are hooked up to an amplifier.

So in your case dealer rushed a little too much and if he woud have taken another minute after learning VIN with new radio (what you call Theftlock) he could have done configuration of radio as well to tell radio it is not hooked up to a Monsoon Amp. A good clue is what you noticed "Monsoon" popping up in display when you turn the radio on. That is a separate configuration setting but it happens when amplifier system is enabled.

Right now you are in "low level audio" mode as you expected.

Nothing you can do about it but take vehicle back to dealer. They will need to make correct selection for your vehicle with menu and then the radio should get a lot louder. And you won't see "Monsoon" any more. I forget exactly what the menu selection is called but it is same place that they do the VIN learn for radio. The option that they have to select is speaker option. They have to say your vehicle DOES NOT have the option for amplfier - which is.....U85 I think.

I guess since the radio isn't displaying "CALIBRATE" that the radio they installed must have been removed from another vehicle.

If anyone has a 2006 model and gets a new radio and then finds steering wheel radio buttons don't work correctly that is also an indication of incorrectly done radio set-up. Things got a little confusing due to new steering wheel design and so radio has to be told which one of those is in vehicle as well.

Hope that helped

Comment

wow i have been mistaken, i would have never thought they would make a single radio programmable like that. I apologize for the bad info :smoke:
                    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Originally posted by e2helper
                      Something I can help with

There are 3 different levels of radio. Plus Canadian version with different graphics (fewer English words). So all together 6 different parts.

Anyways I don't remember capability of the base radio but definitely for the uplevel CD and CD changer these radios are programmable for a few different options including whether or not they are hooked up to an amplifier.

So in your case dealer rushed a little too much and if he woud have taken another minute after learning VIN with new radio (what you call Theftlock) he could have done configuration of radio as well to tell radio it is not hooked up to a Monsoon Amp. A good clue is what you noticed "Monsoon" popping up in display when you turn the radio on. That is a separate configuration setting but it happens when amplifier system is enabled.

Right now you are in "low level audio" mode as you expected.

Nothing you can do about it but take vehicle back to dealer. They will need to make correct selection for your vehicle with menu and then the radio should get a lot louder. And you won't see "Monsoon" any more. I forget exactly what the menu selection is called but it is same place that they do the VIN learn for radio. The option that they have to select is speaker option. They have to say your vehicle DOES NOT have the option for amplfier - which is.....U85 I think.

I guess since the radio isn't displaying "CALIBRATE" that the radio they installed must have been removed from another vehicle.

If anyone has a 2006 model and gets a new radio and then finds steering wheel radio buttons don't work correctly that is also an indication of incorrectly done radio set-up. Things got a little confusing due to new steering wheel design and so radio has to be told which one of those is in vehicle as well.

Hope that helped
                      YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Can you tell me what other menu options there are in setting up the radio? Is it just amp, no amp and steering wheel controls or not? I really dont want to have to go back a 3rd time.

Thank you for your wisdom!!

PS. are you a tech?

Comment

wow i have been mistaken, i would have never thought they would make a single radio programmable like that. I apologize for the bad info :smoke:
                        I agree.... thats why I had said that e2helper would be the man to know the answer haha!

Comment

I went to the dealer this morning and Im all set!! Now I have an in dash 6 disk changer and RDS!! Im happy!!

They must have never done this before because when I told them what needed done they were like, I dont think we can do that! But they got it figured out and now no more monsoon and Im sounding great. I did ask them to program the steering wheel controls even though I dont have them yet. I plan on adding the controls soon. I dont know if they were able to do it or not, so I will probably have to spend another $45 to get those programed after the install. O well.

Thanks again e2helper!!

Comment

NP - however I don't want to lead you astray - I didn't know you had a vehicle without steering wheel controls. Adding them is not something a dealer is really authorized to do and not just a matter of changing the steering wheel. There is a potential that the wiring harness doesn't have extra wires for it and that the "clockspring coil" at column doesn't have required connectivity.

As far as programming of steering wheel controls for type of wheel, it happens automatically at the same time they are setting up radio for amplifier or not. So whatever they chose is how the radio is set up. By default the radio is set up for a 4 spoke (2005 and early sedan 2006) wheel.

Comment

Re: Are the monsoon decks different decks or just programmed

I just installed a 6 disk changer to replace the base radio and had the theftlock programmed for my car.
                              How much was just the upgraded unit? Kinda bought my car on a whim, and didn't know about the upgrade options
                              VA All Day!! PWC

Comment

Working...
                              X