Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO: Wax your car

Finally!

Waxing a car can be hard or easy, depending on the persons knowledge of the wax and how to apply.
    In this thread, I will be discussing how to wax your car. Its easy but you'd be surprised how people can make this easy chore into a difficult process. It takes me a good hour to apply the wax and to remove it.

Its all about technique and how you apply the wax.
    Keep in mind.

APPLY THIN, never thick. If you apply wax to thick on the car, it does not add more protection than if you were to apply a thin coat. The only good thing about applying wax on too thickly is that you get a good work out removing the residue.

Ill be discussing Hand Waxing and Machine waxing
    Wax can be applied by hand, Orbital, DA or a rotary. It all does the same thing, like the saying goes. Wax on and wax off.

Now there are two routes you can take, use a Carnuaba based wax or a sealant wax. There is no really difference between the two except one is man made (sealant) and the carnauba wax is made by mother nature. However the sealant adds more protection but not much gloss but lasts longer while the carnauba wax adds more gloss but does not last as long. You can layer it, the sealant first for protection and the carnauba wax for gloss. (this will be discussed further on later)

You may be asking yourself, "But wait Max, there is liquid wax or the paste kind. Which one should I use?"
    Both do the same job, Paste is ment to be applied by hand while the liquid is applied by machine. Like i said, there is no real difference between the two. Just method of applying it.

Ill be using carnauba wax this time around just because I prefer it over sealant. I wash and wax my car once a week so it doesnt not really matter if I use the sealant wax or not.

Anyways, back on topic
    Make sure to always work in a enclosed area, where dust and dirt can not interfere with your work.

You will need.
    Your favorite wax, in my case NXT 2.0 or Gold Class
    A good microfiber towel, maybe 3 or 4
    and a applicator pad.

If you go the machine route, you will need
    Liquid Wax
    One Finishing Pad
    Your Machine
    and a Couple of good microfiber towels

I will be starting with the Hand Waxing, This is a pretty straight forward process. But be catious of couple things. When using your applicator pad, always check it for debry.

This looks good but take a closer look.

Any debry on the pad can seriously scratch the paints surface.

After cleaing the pad, go ahead and apply it. Make sure you add it thinly. If applied to thick, it will dry hard and it will be hard to remove. Remember work smarter, not harder.

This is an example of applying it to thickly

It should go on clear without seeing any white paste.

What a bitch it will be to remove it, it should normaly take 2 passes to remove wax, this took 6

It should look like this when applied.

While doing the car, try to prevent going towards the door handles or any area where wax can be built up.

To know if the wax is done drying, do a swipe test. This is when you run your finger across the wax. If it comes off clear, its good to remove. If not, let it set for a bit longer.

/\ Wax is ready to be removed

/\ Wax is NOT ready to be removed

When removing the product, try this process. Add pressure to the microfiber towel and slowly remove it, Dont rub it like there is a fire or something. This allows the product a chance to transfer to the microfiber. Work Smarter not Harder.

This basically covers Hand waxing.

Now on to machine waxing. I prefer machine waxing because A. Its faster B. It applies wax more evenly and C. It allows more control on how much wax is applied.

I have 2 pads, one 7.5 inch Soft Buff pad 2.0 from meguiars and a Soft Buff 3inch pad. Both pads are finishing pads, which are the softest kind of pads. Do not use a Polishing or cutting pad when applying wax because those pads will soak the wax right up and you can end up dry buffing instead of waxing which can lead to swirls and holograms.

Small pad

Large pad

You can use paste wax or liquid wax when machine polishing, either one works. If you use paste wax you can use a smaller pad and just dip the pad into the tub of wax.

When you start to wax, apply a Quarter sized amount of wax to the pad.

Before starting up the machine, smear it across the panel to prevent any kind of sling.

Turn the machine to a slow RPM, If using a DA like a G110 or Porter Cable, Setting 3 is ideal for this. Do not use higher RPMS.
    Begin to work up and down then left to right to make sure all areas are covered with wax, its also good to over lap the areas as well to ensure a even coat.

After the car is done, let dry and do the smear test. After that go ahead and remove the wax from all over the car.

If wax goes get in some areas like the rubber seals, here are some helpful tools

A quarter, a tooth brush and something sharp, a needle works as well.

Everything is self explanatory, but with the quarter, all you do is wrap it in a microfiber and then clean out all the crevices, a plastic card works as well, if not better. I just couldnt find my wallet.

Hope this helps some people and people begin to start waxing their car more often.

Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Re: HOW TO: Wax your car

Nicely done
    A whole lot of mods and a freakin lesbo after me....
    Originally posted by 08blackgt
    hahaha i fukin love Darlene

Comment

bout time now just waiting on the DA

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
      Originally posted by ahuhn
      so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Meguiar's NXT FTMFW!!!!

I once read for metallic colour vehicles, sealants are usually good enough to have a dazzling shine, and I tend to agree. I use NXT only and is very satisfied with the results after 2 layers. For solid colours might want to go the caranuba or layered route.

And don't forget to keep it clean and wipe it down with some good detailer spray to maintain it.
        <-- Gray G6? Click!
        2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
        2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
        Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Working...
        X