Front bumper Curb rash...DAMN IT!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front bumper Curb rash...DAMN IT!!

Ok, the quick story. I was pulling into a spot far away from other vehicles and didn't realize that the pavement where the tires sit had sunken in about 4 inches. As I pulled up to stop, my car hits this dip in the pavement and lurches forward about 3 - 4 inches right into the curb. I was f-ing pissed.

So now, I need a good tutorial on how to repair curb rash on a front bumper. I'll get some pics up later but I already know I'm gonna have to sand it. If you guys have come across any good tutorials online and can redirect me that'd be great. I've done some googling, but haven't found anything great yet. Thanks all!!
    2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
    1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Re: Front bumper Curb rash...DAMN IT!!

it would depend on if you want a quick fix, or an oem finish...

because sand, (prime,) touch up paint, and clear would work....

and on the other scheme of things, get the thing painted professionally...

your call, but that's the two major options i think

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Other ride: 07 Q7 for now
    PSN: racin247
    Progression-search Silverg6er's FOTOZ

Comment

Originally posted by silverg6er
      it would depend on if you want a quick fix, or an oem finish...

because sand, (prime,) touch up paint, and clear would work....

and on the other scheme of things, get the thing painted professionally...

your call, but that's the two major options i think
      It's very inconspicuous (almost unnoticeable) so I think a quick fix will be fine.

I've got a couple deep cuts, so I'm not sure what grit to start with. I was thinking 1200, but I might have to go even lower than that. Since it's on plastic, I was thinking of using that Krylong gloss back that chemically adheres to plastic so I don't have to go back and fill in chips. Then a clear coat followed by a good polish.

Comment

deep cuts...1200 is for a fine smooth finish, lol

you'll need maybe below 320 for the rough edges, and some primer to help fill them a bit, sand again, and touch up, and clear..

1000 would be good for a super smooth finish to paint on...i use 600 though (eyelids, side skirts)

well you can get the primer for plastic, if the rest of it isnt on the plastic it self, then the krylon wouldnt make a differnce since its going on top of paint.

if you dont want to prime, then sand down to the plastic smooth in the deep areas, then krylon it is

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Other ride: 07 Q7 for now
        PSN: racin247
        Progression-search Silverg6er's FOTOZ

Comment

Awesome, good info. Thanks!

Comment

Same problem here OP! Just recently I went down a huge driveway and my bumper slammed onto the road and now there are scratches where the paint was taken off.

Comment

Originally posted by G6Nashville
              Same problem here OP! Just recently I went down a huge driveway and my bumper slammed onto the road and now there are scratches where the paint was taken off.
              Start with 150 grit and work up from there. Get a really smooth finish then use DuPont adhesion spray, then Krylon plastic's paint and follow up with DuPont clear coat. It won't be 100% perfect, but enough so that nobody will tell the difference.

Comment

I know I would screw it up. I always wanted to go to school to learn how to paint cars. For some reason though it seems like everyone involved in that industry have no personality and/or are criminals.

Comment

Working...
                X