UH OH... replacing head gasket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UH OH... replacing head gasket...

To make a long story short I took the malibu in a three times for a defective radiator (so I thought). Twice it was cracked and another time a plug was bad. After the third time of bringing it in they found out I have a bad head gasket. The block and head itself are fine. The reason it was effecting the radiator was because of excessive pressure leaking through the gasket into the cooling system. Im glad I got the 75,000 mile warranty. Its fully covored... I have 55k on my car. I didnt put this out to scare people but only to let you guys know this could happen.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2665190"

Performance mods...
    Tuned by SB Tuning (93 octane tune)... Ported throttle body by SB Tuning... CAI for the G6 from Ebay... Custom exhaust and Dyna Max mufflers... Stock Wheel with 225 45 18 Good Year RSA's Repainted Gunmetal Grey... Now Upper and lower 10,000k HID's... NRG Engine damper Installed... Cquence Drilled/Slotted rotors... Racing Line MMI's

Re: UH OH... replacing head gasket...

Yikes!! thank god for warranty!! still sucks tho.
    2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

That sucks...Your real lucky that your still covered, that job would have cost you BIG $$$$$$$ I had a head gasket blow on my 1990 Grand Am Quad4 HO. They were famous for that Pontiac paid for it even though I was out of warranty

Comment

Wow, never seen one blow out a radiator before, just some various coolant hoses and like you said, drain plugs... WTG GMV6. But yeah, great to hear it's covered, I've done a few and seen the look on the people's faces when my boss gave them the quote.
        2 12" Kicker CVRs, KX1200.1, Camaro-Style Super Turbo

Comment

They have already had it for a week and they said it wont be done untill next thursday. So now im stuck driving a ford tauras... Im not complaining though I get a free loaner... I just want my car back. I hope this fixes the bad performance though, if it had anything to do with it. They gave me a rough quote though. With the radiator it would have cost somewere around $1,800... Give or take... I have also been talking directly to the head Tech because he is the only one that is A.S.E certified for head work so he is the only one touching my car... Not to mention this is all done through ford. I got it off there used car lot a bought there extended warenty. Go ford...

Performance mods...
          Tuned by SB Tuning (93 octane tune)... Ported throttle body by SB Tuning... CAI for the G6 from Ebay... Custom exhaust and Dyna Max mufflers... Stock Wheel with 225 45 18 Good Year RSA's Repainted Gunmetal Grey... Now Upper and lower 10,000k HID's... NRG Engine damper Installed... Cquence Drilled/Slotted rotors... Racing Line MMI's

Comment

Didn't dre just have a 3900 head gasket replaced too?
            2009 PONTIAC G8
            MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Yikes! Good thing for the warranty. I'm not one for buying the extended warranties for anything anymore. I have never had anything break on me during the warranty period, especially for when I have paid for the extra coverage. The only times I have had something break, has happened outside the life of the warranty or not been covered under the warranty. If this unfortunate incident happens I'll be headed straight to the yard for a 3900.

Too bad they didn't rent you out the new Taurus SHO.

Comment

Originally posted by ragingfish
                Yep, mine went at 24K miles
                2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                Gotta have it Green color
                Brembo brake package
                420 HP 5.0L
                Ford Racing Power Pack
                GT500 track pack differential cover
                BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Originally posted by dre256
                  Originally posted by ragingfish
                  Yep, mine went at 24K miles
                  How is it now? Did you have any performance issues befor it happened?

Performance mods...

Comment

Originally posted by lightningblue
                    How is it now? Did you have any performance issues befor it happened?
                    How mine happened was got a CEL for a random miss fire code. Popped the hood to look around to see if anything was damaged (wires) and saw the rear of my head gasket was leaking. Mine went fast too, in a matter of 200 miles is was starting to drip out and car smelt like anit-freeze. Had no performance drop at all with it. Dash Hawk was saying still 0-60 in 6.1 seconds which was right for a 70-ish degree day.

After the head gasket, have about 500 miles on it now. 0-60 is around 6.2 seconds (right for 80 degree days) and lost a tad MPG and not beating on it as hard as I use too, but also only been 500 miles. Ussally am around 20.5 mpg. Am at 19.3 is average.

Make a long storie short No performance issues at all before it went or during it going. Car ran just as hard has it always has.
                    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                    Gotta have it Green color
                    Brembo brake package
                    420 HP 5.0L
                    Ford Racing Power Pack
                    GT500 track pack differential cover
                    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

HMMM... Maybe I have another issue then... My car doesnt seem to have the punch it used to at low RPM...

Performance mods...

Comment

Probably a stupid idea...But what about just a basic tune up? Plugs, wires, fuel filter, injector cleaner...the works. Maybe you already did that though?

Comment

Working...
                        X