Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invest In Longer Warranty?

Hello!

So I just bought my G6 about 2 months ago. When I signed the papers, the dealer asked if I wanted to extend my warranty by X years for Y dollars with Z plan (there are 2 plans I think: a "value" and "ultimate;" sorry, don't remember the official names).

Now, I did not extend the warranty and just left it at the 3 years/36,000 miles plan.

My questions are:

1. Is the 3 year/36k plan enough?
    2. Is the 3 year/36k plan provide "value" or "ultimate" coverage?
    3. Should I extend my warranty at all?

My plan is to drive the G6 about 10,000 miles a year, with probably a 60/40 split between city/highway driving.

What are your thoughts?
    2009 Pontiac G6 V6, Diamond White
    -> 3rd Brake Light Decal
    -> Tint: 50% Front, 35% Rear

Re: Invest In Longer Warranty?

Originally posted by G6V6Lover
    Hello!

So I just bought my G6 about 2 months ago. When I signed the papers, the dealer asked if I wanted to extend my warranty by X years for Y dollars with Z plan (there are 2 plans I think: a "value" and "ultimate;" sorry, don't remember the official names).

Now, I did not extend the warranty and just left it at the 3 years/36,000 miles plan.

My questions are:

1. Is the 3 year/36k plan enough?
    2. Is the 3 year/36k plan provide "value" or "ultimate" coverage?
    3. Should I extend my warranty at all?

My plan is to drive the G6 about 10,000 miles a year, with probably a 60/40 split between city/highway driving.

What are your thoughts?
    I too have fiddled around with extended warrenties. Since you just bought your car, you have a 100,000 mile power train warrenty which honesty is the most expensive stuff to fix. The rest of it may nickel and dime you, but to get up to the $1300 worth of stuff needed to justify the extended warranty, you'd have to have ALOT of little stuff go wrong. Besides, if you have any mechanical knowledge at all that would allow you to work on your own car should something break, then you'd have free labor and you can find parts for dirt cheap on several sites.

I think you made the right decision.
    2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
    1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Comment

I was thinking about that as well when I bought my car last year. I was told that the warranty option would still be there as long as my car was still under its factory warranty (although I don't know how that works when Pontiac is dying now). In that case, you could always see how the car does its first year or two, and if it has a lot of problems, you can opt to buy the extended warranty at that time. That is a lot of money to spend though if you think you won't really use it, and that's really hard to say when you just drove it off the lot. I know, based on my experience in the past year, I'm not concerned with buying an extended warranty because mine has been a very good car.

Comment

You made the right decision, IMO. Extended warranties provide dealers with more profit margin, just like buying undercoating from the dealer, in the old days. The profit margin on those items for the dealer is HUGE. Just my .02

Comment

Even with Pontiac gone the warranty is the same for all GM vehicles. Now if GM folds... :P The govt. claims it will still provide warranties, so who knows.

Comment

For you I would wait. You have the option of extending the warranty at any point while you are still covered with warranty with a GM Protection Plan (GMPP). You generally don't know how long your going to keep the car right away for a long time. My Dad ended up buying a GMPP for his 2005 Silverado in 2008 before his normal warranty expired, because he decided he was going to keep the car at least another 2 more years. It's up next summer and he said he'll probally do it again since the 2 year one he added paid for itself when something cracked and leaked coolant.. forgot what but it would have been a $1,500 repair, all covered under the GMPP.

I got one of the GMPP plans with my GTO I just bought Saturday. It's a 2005, and didn't have warranty left, but it was GM Certified so I would have had 12mo/12,000mi warranty on it. I chose to extend it with a GMPP plan that covers it for a total of 36mo/36,000mi more (Add 2 years / 24,000mi to the GM Cert warranty). This will cover me till 77,500mi or May 2012. For an older car like mine well worth it. Something major is bound to happen around 5 years or so I say.
            2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
            Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
            Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
            2005 CGM GTO.
            386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
            2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Warranty is like insurance. You lose if nothing goes wrong. If something does go wrong, you are glad you are covered and not have to paid out of pocket. There is no right or wrong choice.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll leave the current warranty in place and will evaluate if I will extend it in a few years.

2009 Pontiac G6 V6, Diamond White
                -> 3rd Brake Light Decal
                -> Tint: 50% Front, 35% Rear

Comment

I went ahead and picked it up for mine, but it's more for peace of mind rather than I think anything will go wrong with the car. I don't know how yours would be, but I can cancel mine at any time before the 3yr/30000 mile period is up on it. It takes me up to 64k.

Honestly though, it depends on your situation. I went ahead and picked it up because I'm a full time student and work part time, so I don't have extra cash laying around if anything does go wrong, and I ended up getting it for like $10 a month extra.

Like the last guy said, there's no right or wrong. It's more or less insurance.

Comment

if your tranny pukes in 4 years your gonna kick yourself...
                    09 GT Coupe in Techno Grey, lowered on eibachs, debadged, duplicolor red calipers, Full CRABS setup, silver CRAB stickers in my coupe windows +20HP G6Performance.com decals ,carbon fibre inlays

Comment

I used to be very against insurance and warrenties until recently. I bought my G6 used about a year ago and it was a 2006 so it didn't have any warrenty left, but it only had like 13,000 miles on it. My mom talked me into getting the ultimate coverage or whatever it's called for about $2,000 which added bumper to bumper for 5 years/xx miles (can't remember how many) anyway having not done the greatest inspection when I bought the car I immediately had to fix the steering column and a few other things which was about $1,200 (which was covered) then about a month ago I had the heating element in my seat go out and got my radio replaced (both covered again) which was around $600 I believe (the radio was like 4 or 500 I think ) Anyway it's been one year and I have almost paid for the warrenty, so anything that happens in the next couple of years are really just money made off the warrenty.

Comment

I haven't pulled the trigger on mine yet (bought new just over a year ago), but I'm almost certainly going to since the convertible top is likely to act up after the 3/36000 period is over
                        CRABs, STBs, Uppers, Loud Noises Coming Out The Back End

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822

sigpic

Comment

thats why i didn't get the convertible, i almost did but i don't want to pay 5,000 for a new one in 5 to 8 years
                          09 GT Coupe in Techno Grey, lowered on eibachs, debadged, duplicolor red calipers, Full CRABS setup, silver CRAB stickers in my coupe windows +20HP G6Performance.com decals ,carbon fibre inlays

Comment

I got the 6 year, 90k miles GMPP (top-o-the-line) because I got the vert. It was around 1,300.00 or so (can't recall), and I just rolled it into then72 month 0% loan - made about a 20.00 a month more on the payment (IIRC).

No regrets (although still on my 3/36, but have 32k on speedo).

One point to remember is that you can cash the warranty in (for a lot less than you paid), but more important is that it can transfer (for 50.00 ) to the new owner, and that's a huge resale point later on (for a private sale).

Comment

[*]yes holy shit yews im 3k o ver and two pulleys and cv boot and serp belt trashed do it
                              Cold air intake, racingline engine mounts, painted engine cover, tinted tail lights, resonator delete, red and black calipers, Flowmaster 50 series, black upper recessed grills,cobalt ss/tc rims, massive audio nano 800w amp, pioneer A series 460W speakers, pioneer double din touch screen headunit and debadge[color=#FF0000][

My Progression:http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...;s+progression
                              JOIN FOREVERPONTIAC.COM...NOW!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X