GM's "Personal Audio Link" -- iPod integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM's "Personal Audio Link" -- iPod integration

Sorry if this topic belongs in news, general discussion or some better area, but audio/video seemed most appropriate.....

GM today announced iPod integration will be coming to all its vehicles during the 2007 model year. There are several articles about this floating around the web today, but this seemed the most complete, and appeared to have the most GM-specific info:

The article claims:
    The device, called "Personal Audio Link," will sell at GM dealerships for less than $160 at MSRP, plus installation.
    My hope is this infers backward-compatibility to 2005-6 G6's. That and the fact that the 2007 radios are supposedly the same as previous model's. But I don't really know for sure.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my 2006 G6, and I look forward to everyone else's thoughts, and further info on this subject in the future.
    Dave
    2006 Stealth GT

That would be good for us that are stuck with the factory deck. I have a cleansweep so I can add an Ipod there.
    Originally posted by Nikki
    You are an e-pimp.
    Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
    I tried too, my penis way too big
    07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
    My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
    The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

still doesnt really help with the cost of anything. I mean this thing is 160$ (plus an ipod if you dont have one), dash mounting kit for an aftermarket HU is 200$ retail and a cleansweep is what like 300$? The only thing that bugs me about this car is how much it is to add some good aftermarket audio equiptment.
      2007 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by spitfire2332
        still doesnt really help with the cost of anything. I mean this thing is 160$ (plus an ipod if you dont have one), dash mounting kit for an aftermarket HU is 200$ retail and a cleansweep is what like 300$? The only thing that bugs me about this car is how much it is to add some good aftermarket audio equiptment.
        I agree. How frigging long have aftermarket decks come with the 3.5mm or 1/8" aux inputs in the front? Forever! I'd have been putting them on every factory deck 5-6 years ago. Just like I wouldn't produce any CD player these days that doesn't do mp3 as well.

Comment

just burn CDs,...with a 6 disk changer it really doesnt bother me...but i def would like mp3 connevtion for my creative zen micro
          -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
          Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Originally posted by blkGTPcoupe
            just burn CDs,...with a 6 disk changer it really doesnt bother me...but i def would like mp3 connevtion for my creative zen micro
            but one MP3 cd in my truck plays more music than the 6 music CDs in my G6. the XM kinda helped when i had it, but for road trips you just can't top MP3 playback.

Comment

Originally posted by blkGTPcoupe
              my main concern is adding amps. My alpine with RCAs is going to give me higher quality than using a line output converter.
              2007 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71 4x4

Comment

SmarthPack iPod Integration Kit

Here is some info I received from my Dealer.
                I plan on ordering one for my new G6 ... which is being built this week.
                It goes for $250

The SmartPark Ipod Integration Kit allows you to fully integrate you Ipod with your new Generals Motors Vehicle. Allowing complete control
                of your Ipod utilizing your Factory Radio controls maximizing sound quality. The Ipod is placed safely in the console or glove compartment
                making it less of a target for thieves and less of a distraction for Driver.
                All Smart Park products are made from the highest quality components to exacting QS9000 and 1509001 standards, Smart ParkTMproducts
                also have E-Mark (TUV) approval.
                Features GMCL31600
                • Complete Control through Factory Radio 0
                Fits all 2007 GMVehicles with 29 Bit GMLAN
                radios with XM Tuner
                • CDQuality Sound
                • Charges while Driving
                • Plug N Play installation
                • Less than 1 milliamp current draw
                • Available only through GMDealerships
                • Warranty 3 year I 36,000 mile (parts)
                GMCL21600
                • Fits all GMVehicle with Class II radios with
                XM Tuner

Comment

Here is some more info at SmartPark's web site:
                  http://www.smartpark.net/usa/iConnect_11feb06.pdf

Comment

Many thanks for sharing this information!

I'm excited to hear how this works for you. Please post with details! Good luck and enjoy your new G6.

:warped:
                    Dave
                    2006 Stealth GT

Comment

Okay, so now I have a real stupid question....

My 2006 G6 GT has the 6-disc changer radio, but I do not have XM Radio. Looking in the manual, it appears the 6-disc changer is the same radio as the one with XM.

If I understand correctly--please help me out here if I don't--XM comes from a separate tuner that plugs into the 6-disc changer radio.

Does this mean that the iPod kit would work in my G6 where I have the 6-disc changer, but not XM Radio? Or am I way off-base here? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
                      Dave
                      2006 Stealth GT

Comment

Re: SmarthPack iPod Integration Kit

Originally posted by bwestrum
                        • Complete Control through Factory Radio 0
                        Fits all 2007 GMVehicles with 29 Bit GMLAN
                        radios with XM Tuner
                        • Fits all GMVehicle with Class II radios with
                        XM Tuner
                        I am sorry I haven't investigated this a bit further yet but these 2 pieces of information are interesting. This indicates (as expected) that this add-on device communicates to radio using the vehicle's existing serial data network.

Hopefully this list was incomplete because the G6 radio uses something slightly different called 11 Bit GMLAN.

Comment

Originally posted by tuco
                          Does this mean that the iPod kit would work in my G6 where I have the 6-disc changer, but not XM Radio? Or am I way off-base here? Any thoughts?
                          It is using the same method XM receiver does to communicate with radio (over serial data) and also uses the same aux audio input on your radio the XM receiver uses. I am curious though if it works as a different radio BAND (AM/FM1/FM2/XM1/XM2/...) or it is treated as a different audio SOURCE like how you switch to the Rear Seat Entertainment (DVD) on a Malibu Maxx. Up to this point the G6 hasn't had an external Audio Source so that button on radio was just used to switch from the radio to the CD.

My guess would be a different SOURCE would make the most sense even though it seems like the display ability of different radios would give you different levels of functionality. The pictures posted on web site looked like a Chevy HHR which has a more recent style of radio than the G6.

Comment

So it will work on my 6 disc then. Hmmmmm, Now I just have to decide weather I want to get this or keep running through my cleansweep. I am thinking the intigration would be better.
                            Originally posted by Nikki
                            You are an e-pimp.
                            Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
                            I tried too, my penis way too big
                            07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
                            My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
                            The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

According to SmartPark, the iPod is an additional audio band, and will work with the 11Bit LAN system

Comment

Working...
                              X