illumination wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• illumination wire

Guys, i'm still installing my pioneer z1 headunit. I'm having trouble finding a wire to tap into for the illumination lead. it looks like it wants a wire or fuse that controls the headlights @ night. anyone know where that wire is, what it looks like, or if there's a fuse i can tap into?

thanks,

Aaron

That's actually a good question. I'm not sure if there is one as my Metra Turbo2 kit didn't have one on it to hook into my pioneer deck. It's a shame because that deck is quite bright, and it would be nice to have it dim a little bit.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

i'm scared of driving @ night. if a cop looked in my car, or hell, at least saw me drive by, it lights up my WHOLE car. he'd definitly pull me over. hehe. anyone know a answer to this?

Comment

Hang on, E2helper will be along. I'm sure he can find the correct wire for you.
        G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
        Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
        Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
        20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

I'm talking to crutchfield right now. Their answer was, just plug the illumination lead into a 12V wire. I'm like, won't that dim the display 24/7? he's like, "yeah". I'm like, not acceptable. these people on crutchfield are dumb as hell, i'm never buying anything from them again. you think they have a price match policy?

Comment

My Pioneer screen has a dimmer built into it that I could control with the touch screen.
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

You know I actually wish these aftermarket guys would actually provide you with useful information about their product such as

"how much current does my new headunit draw on the illumination line". It would test them to see if they knew anything about their product :P

That would be the first thing I would want to know to give you an appropriate suggestion.

In reality the G6 BCM only has a single output for all dimming requirements in the vehicle. Some new GM models with a next generation BCM have 2 or 3 outputs for interior dimming designed specifically either for LED or incandescent lamps. The "dim curve" requirements for these lights differ and having ability to provide different profiles at the same time allows for a little more flexibility.

You may have noticed that the G6 radio doesn't have a wire going to it for park lamps or dimming. It internally creates its own backlighting requirements based on serial data information received from BCM. Your aftermarket head isn't smart enough to do that :P

What this means is that the BCM output is less utilized on G6 and so likely would handle your aftermarket part assuming it expects a power feed (rather than ground) and it can handle a "pulse-width modulated" signal which switches rapidly between 0 and 12 volts to provide the power for backlighting.

There are 2 places I would say theoretically you could access this circuit. Either at BCM or tap into it at HVAC head. That is enough for one post I will watch for more questions

Comment

where could i find a wire layout for the BCM in the g6?
                oh, and it needs 12V supplied on the line

Comment

Has anyone tried connecting an illumination wire from an aftermarket deck to one of the wires e2helper was talking about? I just installed a pioneer 6800 deck with the scosche dic face and it is super bright at night. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck getting it to dim and how they did it.

Comment

the deck itself usually has it's own built-in dimming feature. Since the harness for any dash kits connect to the dimmer, the radio itself won't dim, just the DIC display on the dash kit will.
                    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Working...
                    X