GM to import chinese gm cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM to import chinese gm cars

A planning document given to lawmakers by General Motors reportedly shows that the Detroit-based automaker plans to ship 17,335 autos from China for sale in the U.S. in 2011. If GM succeeds in importing vehicles to the U.S. from China, it could be the first automaker to do so.

The document doesn't show which vehicle would be brought over from the land of the Great Wall (we'd take the Buick Regal, above), but it does provide GM's volume plans through 2014. By that time, GM plans to triple its China to U.S. exports to 51,546 units. While 51,546 sounds like a lot of cars, it only represents 1.6% of the planned 3.1 million (perhaps optimistic) sales the General is expecting five years from now.

Regardless of the quantity of vehicles coming in from China, union leaders are none too pleased with the development, says Automotive News. The 12-page document also showed increased production in Mexico, with annual units rising from 317,763 in 2010 to 501,316 in 2014. South Korea, which will likely make new vehicles like the Chevrolet Spark, will increase production from 36,967 in 2010 to 157,126 in 2014. In an open letter, UAW legislative director Alan Reuther has gone on record saying that GM "should not be taking taxpayers' money simply to finance the outsourcing of jobs to other countries."

While many would expect the U.S. to be the big loser here, virtually all of the related production loss occurs in Canada. According to the 12-page document, U.S. production would continue to represent two thirds of the overall sales volume for the next five years, while Canada is slated to lose 101,000 units.

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Other ride: 07 Q7 for now
    PSN: racin247
    Progression-search Silverg6er's FOTOZ

Re: GM to import chinese gm cars

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo ooooo................................ !
    ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
    .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

Comment

[RANT]

I personally could give two shits about the quality of the chinese regal. I'm 27 (almost 28!), and representative of a group that rarely feels this way, but I am so f'ing fed up with everything in this country being imported! EVERYTHING it seems is from china, japan, india, pakistan, honduras, mexico, korea - ANYWHERE except within the confines of these 50 states! And I'm fed up with it!

Explain to me how bringing a car from overseas - INSTEAD of building it here - is going to help boost our economy? It won't create new jobs. It won't save existing jobs. If anything, it will cost us MORE jobs. I work in retail, for an american company which is rooted in north carolina. But sadly, it feels like 95% of what we sell comes from china. You can grab almost anything off the shelf, look at the back, and it will almost definitively say "MADE IN CHINA."

Like I said, I'm not one of those people who goes around REFUSING to buy anything made anywhere but here, attacking others who purchase goods that are imported, or is one of those crazy die-hard-all-american guys. But the reality is, I'm sick of EVERYTHING being brought in from elsewhere. There's no god damn reason we can't build this stuff here. And despite our economy, and my less-than-ideal financial situation, if I can find an equivalent product that has all the features or specifications I need, and it's american made, I will pay more for it rather than cheap out on the import garbage. (After all, I DO drive a car that's got more domestic content than most other brands.) There is NO reason they can't take the design and necessary componentry of the chinese buick, BUT BUILD IT HERE! Absolutely no fucking reason. They were going to do it eventually with the G8, so it's not like the concept has never been considered!

[/RANT]

Oh, and that being off my chest, i still say fuck you GM for killing pontiac. There's very little, if anything, you can do right now (short of renigging on your pontiac death sentence IN ADDITION TO committing the necessary R&D and funding to keep said brand competitive and alive ) that will keep me from jumping the GM ship when it's time to replace my 6.
        2009 PONTIAC G8
        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

and well said!

and to add to your post.

turn up the sound on this one!

[youtube:1mu3blv6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMz_RQuTBlI[/youtube:1mu3blv6]
          ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
          .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

Why import? It's because importing makes everything cheaper. If we were to build the things that we imported than they would cost so much more that no one would buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by BigV11
              Why import? It's because importing makes everything cheaper. If we were to build the things that we imported than they would cost so much more that no one would buy them.
              Maybe not.

If we were more of an exporting economy than an importing, than the profits made from exporting our goods to other countries would offset the cost of purchasing those goods.
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by ragingfish
                Maybe not.

If we were more of an exporting economy than an importing, than the profits made from exporting our goods to other countries would offset the cost of purchasing those goods.
                But then why would the other countries buy our products if they can make the same ones for the same price if not cheaper, and then sell there products for cheaper? And even if we became an exporting country, I don't think that it would off set the price. Because Chinese/Japanese and all the other countries companies are paying their employees what, like a couples bucks a hour probably less but over here the workers doing the same job are making like twelve or so dollars an hour if not more.

Comment

Originally posted by ragingfish
                  Maybe not.

But then why would the other countries buy our products if they can make the same ones for the same price if not cheaper, and then sell there products for cheaper? And even if we became an exporting country, I don't think that it would off set the price. Because Chinese/Japanese and all the other countries companies are paying their employees what, like a couples bucks a hour probably less but over here the workers doing the same job are making like twelve or so dollars an hour if not more.
                  idk, i'm not very good in economics (despite getting A's in my college econ courses ), but I refuse to believe there isn't a way for us to slowly shift from a company dependent on imports to a country that thrives with exports...

what that way is, idk, but i have faith it can be done!

and on an unrelated note, it offends me we continue to import products from china when it's widely known how disgusting their human rights violations are and how the chinese government continues to let it happen unchecked...
                  2009 PONTIAC G8
                  MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

all of this, and then that insignia will arrive, and some ppl wont care where it came from.....

but i understand what alot of you guys are saying and your disgust at the fact....

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Comment

It all comes down to price. Remember the chinese lead toys and all the hooplah. PPl said I dont want that cheap lead toy from china I want a lead free american toy. Then they found out the same toy from america costs 5 to 10% more, and then they say well that too expensive I want cheap. Until we find an inexpensive way to compete then its not going to change. PPL say they gave shit bout the enviroment, wages, the human rights, but in the end they go to walmart and buy the cheap shit from china????
                      2006 G6 GT, Crimson red, Beige Leather w/woodgrain trim, Sirius Sat Radio,tinted tails, debadged

Comment

I laugh about how the unions are like WTF!!!!!!! when its their fucking fault anyway!!! If they didn't demand such high wages (some deserved but others just sit around and don't do squat!!!) then we could make our products at a cheaper price and GM wouldn't be failing as much as it is now!!!!!!!!

Car Domain | ForeverPontiac.com | Progression

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
                        G6Performance - now with TWO Hampsters!

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo64
                          I laugh about how the unions are like WTF!!!!!!! when its their fucking fault anyway!!! If they didn't demand such high wages (some deserved but others just sit around and don't do squat!!!) then we could make our products at a cheaper price and GM wouldn't be failing as much as it is now!!!!!!!!
                          I agree, the union is one of the biggest reasons GM is in trouble. From what I've heard GM workers are making $75/hr while comparitively Toyota workers make $45/hr. This is word of mouth not hard fact but if that's true, holy crap, WTF are you doing paying that much higher wages than your competitor and then wondering why you're company's going down the tubes?

Comment

Well for one thing there ARE Chinese GM cars I wouldn't mind owning:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/10/buic ... -in-china/

Just for the love of god don't send these:

http://chinese.autoblog.com/photos/2009 ... excelle-1/
                            <-- Gray G6? Click!
                            2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
                            2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
                            Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

the one yu dont want them to send is just a suzuki forenza or chevy optra/lacetti ..except worse

Comment

Working...
                              X