Pontiac G6 4 cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontiac G6 4 cylinder

Does anyone know if they make an intake for this size engine? I e-mailed Doctor Speed and got a response that they were not going to offer one for this engine. Maybe someone else can!

First off, welcome!

Most companies aren't going to make alot of parts for base level engines in cars...

that being said though, I believe it is the same engine in the non-supercharged Cobalt SS. You could probably jimmy-rig some parts from one of them.
    Originally posted by TLS2000
    Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
    GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

One of the problems with the 4 cyl. is that it appears that the MAF is molded to the stock air box. Typically you see lots of tuner stuff available for the 4 cyl. However, it doesn't look like anyone is touching the G6 4 cyl yet.
      I'm curious if the cat is also bolted to the exhaust manifold on the 4 cyl.
      G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
      Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
      Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
      20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

The Ecotec cat is welded to the exhaust manifold it has maybe an inch or so of piping between them.

Im gonna be making my own short ram intake. You can just get any old piping (I think its 3"), measure the MAF size, cut a hole in the intake pipe, stick the MAF in the hole and bolt it on (I would use sealant or a gasket so its air tight), then clamp on a filter to the pipe and your good to go. If your really good with intake piping you can remover the stock duct from under the car and go full cold air intake. '

If your short on cash or cant find metal piping, you can use PVC pipe and heat tape it up when your done.

Intakes are really simple to make. I've made all of mine for the cars I've had and always gained decent power. 200 bucks for an intake is rediculous IMO
        2007 G5 Base Model
        Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

Didnt wanna double post, but no one has responded and I just finished my intake so I wanted to post pics without makin a new thread.

All I did was relocate the MAF sensor by measuring the hole in the airbox and cutting out the same size hole in the stock duct. Then I bolted in the MAF and clamped on a filter I had laying around. PRESTO! Its not permenant but it addas a lotta sound and throttle response.

Here's the stock setup

With the new cone filter

And a close up of my butcher work
          2007 G5 Base Model
          Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

Nice job... its no Dr.Speed but looks good non the less... I wonder if it is sucking in a lot of hot air since it isn't closed into anything.. I can see that it would sound nicer but I wouldn't think it would preform any better.

PS: check out the poll in the new member forum

Comment

Uh this is the exact same thing, performance wise, as the Stage 2 Doctor Speed buddy. Replacing the stock paper air filter with a cotton fiber cone increases power at a minimal rate, but it increases throttle response since the air can get to the engine much faster, and (without the stock silenced airbox) much straighter airflow is achieved. At low speeds it doesn't perform like a short ram, but I dont race at low speeds anyways so its not too much of a concern to me. At high speeds the stock duct pulls cool air into the engine bay. This is until I can get the correct length/bent piping to make the CAI.
              2007 G5 Base Model
              Black 5 Speed

Comment

Like anyone could even know that Napoleon if you haven't seen Napoleon Dynamite then you won't know what I'm talking about... Well there is no way you can say your intake matches a Dr. Speed Stage 2 in preformance... that is a filter that you had laying around not a new K&N filter that comes with the Doc's stuff and on top of that the stage 2 is for a V6 not a 4 cyl so noone even knows what the performance gains would be for one on a 4 cyl buddy... Like I said nice job... its no Dr.Speed but looks good non the less

Comment

LoL. I bet there is NOOOO way mine beats the LEGENDARY docor speed stage 2. Just because the filter I have was "laying around" doesn't mean its dirty by any means or doesn't flow as well. As far as I know its an Accel Cool Blue filter that flows as well, if not better than a K&N due to the lack of oil. And (not to bash anyone) but, I would hope the Stage 2 intake comes with a brand new top of the line filter, cuz for 200 bucks that filter and 2" piece of piping better sing me bed-time lullabys as well.

But thanks on the appearance compliment! Muchly appreciated, I rarely pay for performance mods like that so its nice to get an outside opinion on it.
                  2007 G5 Base Model
                  Black 5 Speed

Comment

That filter actually looks like it has a big indent in it like it got smashed I never did say there was NOOO way of your beating a Dr. Speed i said there is NOOO way for you to know but yeah all that matters is that you are happy and I'm sure you are because having that increases throttle response really is nice to have By the way what did you mean by you only race at higher speeds? just on the freeway or what?

Comment

Good job taking things into your own hands. Looks good and I bet it sounds much better.
                      G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                      Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                      Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                      20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

ANYWAYS

Kudos to you for getting your own intake up and running and great job on the MAF mounting!! Great job as far as I can tell!
                        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Congrats for your initative and the completing of this task! Looks good and every little bit helps :smoke:
                          Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Nice work!
                            Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Thanks guys. Sadly I re-mounted the stock air box. Although the gains were good especially for a 4 cylinder, I threw a "System too lean" code. It didnt really have a negative effect on performance though. Actually, when the code is thrown, the trans shifts hard as hell. I chirped into second.... in an automatic.... 4 banger. But once I mounted to airbox back on and cleared the code the trans went back to normal.

I think it was because the element was too close to this MAF sensor and too much air was coming in at the same time. Once I get the funds to get the piping Im gonna make a CAI and see if I still throw a code since the MAF will be about 2 feet from the element.

Thanks for the input though!
                              2007 G5 Base Model
                              Black 5 Speed

Comment

Working...
                              X