Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing question..

I couldn't find anything so I'll ask away

The clear coat on my front bumper is flaking in a couple spots. Now I have no idea how to wet sand or whatever to fix that myself so I guess I'm gonna have to take it to a shop or something to get it done properly. I guess this would apply to the deeper scratches that I have as well.

Anyways, my question.....I want to clay/wax my car soon....so should I wait until the clear coat is fixed or can I just clay/wax the car like it is and just avoid the 2-3 spots that the clear is flaking?
    <----Got a red 6?

Current mods: Pooners crabs, eibach pro kit, 10000K lows and 8000k fogs, debadged, blacked out tails, redline quick lifts, tint - 5% rear - 15% front, 18" Matte Black MSR 045's, matte black dart overlays, chrome exhaust tip

Re: Detailing question..

i would do it anyways, and just avoid the trouble areas. You would probally want to avoid waxing the sections even after they are fixed (if they paint them) this way the paint can set. I dont really know why i just know thats what the pro detailers do haha
    Current Mods : 7 color LED under dash/ seats, integration solutions I pod Adapter, 2 Powerbass PS-12 subs powered by a Power Acoustik OV2-2200.

Next on the list an intake..

Comment

yea paint and clear must always be allowed to set properly and harden all the way through before you apply any chemical etc. to it (waxes, polishes, etc. )
      Like chris 898 said, just avoid the troubled areas, even though the shop would clean off anything from those areas anyway...not sure if they will sand down to the base coat though....

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Other ride: 07 Q7 for now
      PSN: racin247
      Progression-search Silverg6er's FOTOZ

Comment

i wouldnt bother to clay or wax until its fixed
        A whole lot of mods and a freakin lesbo after me....
        Originally posted by 08blackgt
        hahaha i fukin love Darlene

Comment

Conflicting opinions lol

2-1 tho........

Anyone else wish to chime in?
          <----Got a red 6?

Current mods: Pooners crabs, eibach pro kit, 10000K lows and 8000k fogs, debadged, blacked out tails, redline quick lifts, tint - 5% rear - 15% front, 18" Matte Black MSR 045's, matte black dart overlays, chrome exhaust tip

Comment

i'm leaning on darlene's side

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Comment

Originally posted by silverg6er
              i'm leaning on darlene's side
              What made you jump over the fence?
              <----Got a red 6?

Comment

well, you going to have a sparkling clean shiny car.....only it will have some flaky dull bits... so i would wait, imho

Comment

and not only that......when u get it back from the shop they wont wax it or anything for u...they will most likely end up leaving some cobweb swirls....

something like this

Also u probably already have some if u never have cleaned or polished the paint...which i would highly recommend u do so twice a yr
                  A whole lot of mods and a freakin lesbo after me....
                  Originally posted by 08blackgt
                  hahaha i fukin love Darlene

Comment

Wet sanding wont help the clear coat flaking. Thats a sign that the clear coat is failing and its time for a repaint. I would avoid the areas around the area that is flaking by 6 inches or so just in case air is under the clear coat already so you dont cause any other damage
                    Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

im gonna say go ahead adn take care of the rest of the car but dont do the front bumper since there gonna wind up redoing the whole thing most likley. my thinking is if the rest of teh paint is still good might as well go ahead and protect that ands keep making it look goodso that it doesnt happen to the rest of the car hopefully

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                      Originally posted by snowmanG6
                      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Thanx guys
                        <----Got a red 6?

Comment

Working...
                        X