HOW TO: Oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO: Oil Change

So I take it most of you know how to do this, maybe some of you don't. This is why I'm posting this.

I'm sure everyone has there certain ways, but it's a pretty straight forward job.

You will need: (for at least the LX9)

13mm Wrench or Socket w/Extension (for extra room)
    Oil Filter Wrench (Maybe)
    4.0 Quarts Oil (LX9 others may very, see your manual)
    Funnel
    Appropriate Filter
    At least a 4.0 Quart Container, resealable if you are going to take it somewhere.
    Two 1x6/2x6 Boards (to drive up on)

What oil and filter you use is up to you, this is my flavor...

Do you want to change your oil hot, or cold? Some like to change it after a drive, while the oil is hot and thin, aiding in the draining of fluid. I prefer after a 12 hour cool down (over night), I don't like burning myself and I figure most of the oil has made it's way back to the pan.

I can fit under my car, barely, without any need of a jack, but it would help. I usually drive up onto some 1x6's.

Ok locate the drain and filter... the following is on a LX9

The Filter is tucked in there real nice next to the exhaust pipe... another reason I like to wait for it to cool down...

Place your Drain pan under your plug, unscrew it. The oil will come out in a light burst, nothing to bad though. The oil comes out in a curve but ends up dripping straight down... so make sure the pan is centered.

You can also check your plug to make sure the O-ring/Gasket on it isn't missing or torn.

After your oil drains, put your plug in and tighten it down.

Move the drain pan under the filter, grab it and spin it off, you may need the Oil Filter Wrench. Before the filter comes off, oil should flow around it. Wait a bit for it to stop, wipe off the oil, and keep unscrewing it.

The Filter will have oil still in it, because of the way it sits, so after it is removed, carefully tip it over and drain it into the pan.

Check the old filter to make sure the gasket isn't still on the block.

Fill your new filter up half way with new oil, and rub a small amount on the rubber gasket with your finger. Screw that sucker on until it touches, then tighten BY HAND 3/4 of a turn.

Make sure the plug is in.

Fill it up with oil.

Clean up, if you got dirty... Double check everything, Start it up and reset your oil life monitor thingy...

With it running, give it a brief look under the car, to make sure your oil isn't spewing out.

Turn it off, check the level, add if needed.

Sorry if I left anything out, and If any one has something to add go for it.

FourDoorMafia MySpace | YouTube

Current Mods: ZZP Strut Bar | CRAB FPU w/Fenderwell Intake
    Future Mods: Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
    Fabrication: Rear Strut Bar

Re: HOW TO: Oil Change

nice write up with the pics...

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Other ride: 07 Q7 for now
    PSN: racin247
    Progression-search Silverg6er's FOTOZ

Comment

for the record you dont have to fill the oil filter with oil first but it doesnt hurt

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

You forgot about resetting the Oil Life Monitor...

Go to the DIC, hit MENU until you see "OIL-LIFE RESET" then hold ENTER.
        <-- Gray G6? Click!
        2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
        2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
        Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

great write up. wow you 3.5 guys have it so easy. the 3.6 filter is a pain to get to and sits horizontal, so no halfway with oil for us.

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

Dav3's how to:

1.) drive to mr lube
            2.) drive away

Comment

You forgot a step in-between:

1.5) Pay da' man

Blue Man Group Member NY Local 123

Comment

Originally posted by Dav3
                Dav3's how to:

1.) drive to mr lube
                2.) drive away
                Quick lube places are notorious for not changing oil filters (or using shitty ones) and have been known to not replace the drain plug or tighten it enough...

20% Tint, Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Red Painted Calipers, 6000k H.I.D., LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber GM Interior, 18" SenDel S26 rims, Volant CAI.
                Wish List: Homelink, Black Sabersport projector headlights

Comment

One of the reasons I don't go to "Whatever" Lube places is because when I had my Jeep, I watched them put my plug back in with an impact gun.

Yeah..... lets not do that....

And as for filling the filter up, yeah you might not have to do that.

On all my other vehicles, I could bump the ignition, and "prime" the engine. You cant on the 6. It's starting system automatically starts up with just a bump. And it makes the most horrible dry start noise for about 2 Seconds.

So really, it's just a personal Preference.

Comment

Changing the oil while it is still hot is better because all the contaminants are still being suspended in the oil. Letting it sit and cool down first and all the grime will be collected at the bottom of the oil pan and may not get all flushed out. Then again, you get a more complete oil change after it has been sitting for awhile and you don't burn your hands with hot oil.

Comment

hmmm how long does it take oil to cool down enough to change it while its still very watery?
                      G6 sold for a RALLI////ART

Comment

An hour or two?

You can wait till just the exhaust pipes are cool.

I waited about 12 hours, and the Intake and Heads were still very warm.

Comment

My Father said to always take a bit of the new oil and rub it around the rubber bead on the oil
                          filter. I dont remember why but Ive always done it.

Im guessing to ensure a seal.

On another note why do we need yet more instructions?
                          Were these not good enough?
                          viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1090&p=16061#p16061
                          Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                          Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                          WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon
                            My Father said to always take a bit of the new oil and rub it around the rubber bead on the oil
                            filter. I dont remember why but Ive always done it.
                            To prevent the seal from drying and sticking to the engine and to make removing it easier next time you change the oil.

Comment

i thought the 3.5 uses 4.5 quarts of oil.

In the thread it says 4

I have an 05 v6 wich i believe is the same engine as the 06 gt
                              My Progress thread
                              http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...282#post429282

Comment

Working...
                              X