• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontiac dealer offers to buy brand, GM says "Not For Sale"

Pontiac dealer offers to buy brand, GM says "Not For Sale"

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/02/pont ... -for-sale/

Originally posted by autoblog.com
    Davison, MI, Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealer Jim Waldron isn't ready to give up on the Pontiac brand just yet. During a local news program on Flint ABC affiliate WJRT-12, Waldron revealed that he had made an offer to General Motors to buy Pontiac. Earlier in the week, GM announced that the Pontiac brand would be shut down no later than the end of 2010.

However, GM VP for North American Communications, Tom Pyden, later told the station that no deal would happen since the brand is not for sale. The latest viability plan put forward by the automaker makes no provision for spinning off Pontiac like it does with Hummer and Saturn.

However, if someone offers cash for Pontiac, it seems hard to imagine GM turning a blind eye to the deal. This would be especially true if the potential buyer offered to take over some closed factories to use for manufacturing, as Waldron intends to do. However, it's even harder to imagine that Waldron could make a going concern of a stand-alone Pontiac.

WTF
    ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
    .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Re: Pontiac dealer offers to buy brand, GM says "Not For Sale"

Same goes for Oldsmobile... GM still owns the brand.
    <-- Gray G6? Click!
    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Re: Pontiac dealer offers to buy brand, GM says &quot;Not For Sale&quot;

How can an owner of a car dealer afford to buy a whole brand? Some smells like fishy cocaine.

Comment

maybe but theres a dealer down by me that could afford to by more than just pontiac.
        ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
        .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

yah GM killed the brand Pontiac now doesnt mean they wont bring it back later. same applies to Oldsmobile

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
          Originally posted by ahuhn
          so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

IMO once there dead youll never see them again.

Comment

i havnt seen brands come back, but i have seen alot of models come back. so we could pray maybe before we all kick the bucket we will see a return of r loved Pontiac

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
              Originally posted by ahuhn
              so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Interesting. If the dealers band together much like Saturn did it's very very possible they can get financing and such as a combined dealer network, and/or put up the $ themselves.. with a large enough following like the Saturn dealer network it could happen. If GM is shoved a large ammount of money, and offers to keep factories open and workers employed, it would be a HUUUUUUGE P.R. issue for them to refuse to give away the name to keep workers empoyed, especially in the time where 100's of thousands of automotive workers are losing jobs. For once I might actually see nObama step in and possible force a sale Thats the type of thing he would do, fuck the automakers and their image, but keep people empoyed to an extent. Who knows. It took Saturn several weeks or organize and decide to fend off on its own.
                2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
                Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
                Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
                2005 CGM GTO.
                386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

GM is very dumb...period.

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Other ride: 07 Q7 for now
                  PSN: racin247
                  Progression-search Silverg6er's FOTOZ

Comment

Originally posted by silverg6er
                    GM is very dumb...period.
                    Understatement of the day
                    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms

2005 CGM GTO.
                    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
                      Interesting. If the dealers band together much like Saturn did it's very very possible they can get financing and such as a combined dealer network, and/or put up the $ themselves.. with a large enough following like the Saturn dealer network it could happen. If GM is shoved a large ammount of money, and offers to keep factories open and workers employed, it would be a HUUUUUUGE P.R. issue for them to refuse to give away the name to keep workers empoyed, especially in the time where 100's of thousands of automotive workers are losing jobs. For once I might actually see nObama step in and possible force a sale Thats the type of thing he would do, fuck the automakers and their image, but keep people empoyed to an extent. Who knows. It took Saturn several weeks or organize and decide to fend off on its own.

problem i see with that is that most Pontiac dealers are combined with Buick and GMC. if they were there own company it might be in violation of some GM policy or something. if you know what im saying

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                      Originally posted by snowmanG6
                      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Yea. It's not as clear cut cause Saturn was it's own, and also many of the Pont-Bui-GMC dealers might not care as much as they still have 2 brands to sell.... for now....

However... Pontiac is the bread and butter of the two P-B-G dealers near me. They're shot if they dont get more buyers for Buicks

2005 CGM GTO.

Comment

Originally posted by gwiz
                          How can an owner of a car dealer afford to buy a whole brand? Some smells like fishy cocaine.
                          You'd be surprised at the amount of money that some of the dealership owners have.

For instance in Toronto, there's Roy Foss....who owns quite a few dealerships. No clue how much money he has but I'm sure it's not chump change
                          <----Got a red 6?

Current mods: Pooners crabs, eibach pro kit, 10000K lows and 8000k fogs, debadged, blacked out tails, redline quick lifts, tint - 5% rear - 15% front, 18" Matte Black MSR 045's, matte black dart overlays, chrome exhaust tip

Comment

Yeahhh dealerships make crazy money,, the are lots of dealers that start as one and end up expanding into many, and owning other businesses and stuff

with the amount of dealerships that will be closing I can see it being possible for them to join together and fund the opening of a stand alone Pontiac,
                            I think that shows that they did not want to cut Pontiac, but felt they needed to, thye do not want to see it become successful when it coulod have been thier success
                            2008 Pontiac G6 GXP -AIT Kit - Rear Tint - 18s - Coming Soon: Tinted Tails, GT-R,
                            2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
                            1982 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Comment

I don't think I would buy a Pontiac if it isn't owned by GM. Would anyone buy a Pontiac if say it was bought by the Chinese or India?

Comment

Working...
                              X