How To: Create a Lid for your CAB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Create a Lid for your CAB

So I took an idea I got from the Aussies and translated it over to an application suitable for our CAB / CRAB. I bought all of my needed parts for this from Lowes for less than $15. Total time for this entire project was about 45 min - an hour. I left the pictures big so you can see the detail. Don't know if this is going to have a HUGE impact on keeping the hot air out, but it sure won't hurt since the lid now keeps about 95% of the engine heated air from going into the CAB.

The following is a shopping list:
    1 - 18" x 24" piece of 1/8" acrylic (I used this because I wanted to make a double layer and it was cheaper)
    2- 1/2" - 28 nylon lock nuts
    1 pack of 4 - 1/4"-28 x 3/4" Hex Cap Screws
    1 pack of 3 - 1/4"-20 x 2 " Hex Tap Bolts
    2 - 1/4" - 20 U-type Speed Nuts Threaded
    2 - 2" L brackets (the ones with the wholes in them)
    4 - 1/4" flat washers

You will also need:
    1 - piece of cardboard 12" x 18"
    1 - Carpenters knife
    1 - jig saw w/ fine tooth metal cutting blade
    1 - permanent marker
    1 - drill
    1 - 1/4 drill bit (I used one metal drill bit for the CAB and one regular bit for the acrylic)
    1 - 7/16" wrench
    1 - 7/16" socket and ratchet

And now how to put it all together

1. Take the cardboard and create a cutout for the lid. I would suggest cutting the bottom angle first then marking off where the sides are. I pushed the cardboard under the edges of where the hood opening sits to use it to help hold the lid down. Get creative with this and just make it happen.

2. Once you have the cardboard cutout done, trice it onto the acrylic (I did this twice since I doubled it up for more protection).

3. Using the jig saw, and moving EXTREMELY SLOWLY (about 1 inch every 10 seconds) cut out the traced lids from the acrylic. I would recommend practicing on a section you won't be using to get used to how fast you can go. The acrylic ships extremely easily, so be careful.

4. With the pad still on your cold air box, take your L brackets and place them where you want them. You see from my pictures where I put these bolts. Because I make the acrylic long enough to slide under the edge of the where the hood sits, I only needed these two bolts to hold it down.

5. Once you have figured out where you want them, mark the wholes with the permanent marker where you will be drilling through the side of the CAB.

6. Using the metal drill bit, drill the wholes through the CAB. I did not have to take the CAB off the car for this, but some may have to.

7. Take one 1/4" x 3/4" hex cap screw, one washer, and attach each of the L brackets to the CAB using the nylon retaining nut. I used the wrench and socket here.

8. Once the L brackets are tightened down to the CAB, place the cut piece(s) of acrylic on top and arrange it like in the pictures below. Pushing the acrylic down against the top of the CAB, mark where the wholes should go using the permanent marker.

9. Drill the holes for the bolts going through the top using the regular drill bit.

10. Put the 1/4" Speed Nuts Threaded onto the L brackets attached to the CAB.

11. Put the acrylic pieces back onto the CAB and attach them using the 2" - 1/4" bolts and washers. The bolts should run right down into the threaded speed nuts attached to the L brackets. I tightened using the socket and ratchet.

And you're done!! Enjoy the pictures below!

2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
    1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Re: How To: Create a Lib for your CAB

I don't know how it will effect performance (in a positive OR negative way)

But it sure looks good!

FourDoorMafia MySpace | YouTube

Current Mods: ZZP Strut Bar | CRAB FPU w/Fenderwell Intake
    Future Mods: Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
    Fabrication: Rear Strut Bar

Comment

Originally posted by justham
      I don't know how it will effect performance (in a positive OR negative way)

But it sure looks good!
      About the best I was hoping for here was that I could start to suck up more cold air through the bottom of the CAB vs. hot air from the engine. The concept is good I think. At around $11 in material, it was a fun little project.

Comment

The easier way: Close your hood.

Nice work though dude and good write up

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

If you don't mind, I might add this to my Fabrication list. And I think It'll help collect air a little more efficiently.

FourDoorMafia MySpace | YouTube

Current Mods: ZZP Strut Bar | CRAB FPU w/Fenderwell Intake
          Future Mods: Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
          Fabrication: Rear Strut Bar

Comment

Originally posted by mike91y2k
            The easier way: Close your hood.

Nice work though dude and good write up
            Yeah, thanks for the comments. I checked it with my hood closed and I don't know if mine is different since it's not a CRAB but one of the original Dr. Speed CAB's from 2007, bit mine did not seal up against the hood at all. I had a lot of space that let the hot air in. So, I figured I try this and it worked pretty well I think. One good test will be to use a Dash Hawk, but since I'm not going to get one, I may never know if it really helped or not

Comment

Originally posted by justham
              If you don't mind, I might add this to my Fabrication list. And I think It'll help collect air a little more efficiently.
              Sure, go ahead! I just wanted to share what I did with everybody. Feel free to take this and run with it. I've got no intentions of selling this haha.

Comment

How To: Create a "WHAT" for your CAB???????
                ALTERATIONS:

Full 2008 GXP Sport Edition Conversion, MPD hood, Crab 03/04, HSRK, chrome oil cap/door locks, WAMS 93 tune, tints, Kenwood DNX5120 dvd/nav, red led interior lighting, 05 leather seats, Impala Leather console lid, 3rd LED brake light, Custom trunk lid liner.

Comment

Re: How To: Create a Lid for your CAB

Originally posted by Barry
                  How To: Create a "WHAT" for your CAB???????
                  It's french for "Lid".

(Fixed the title )

Comment

interesting....and may be needed on the Dr Speed cab as there is a size difference
                    between cabs. I had a DS one. I know and its the reason I made a better one.

If you really want a project that will add more air to your intake do a search
                    for tiger crab. You can snorkle the air right to it.
                    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon
                      interesting....and may be needed on the Dr Speed cab as there is a size difference
                      between cabs. I had a DS one. I know and its the reason I made a better one.

If you really want a project that will add more air to your intake do a search
                      for tiger crab. You can snorkle the air right to it.
                      Oh, I think I remember seeing that one a while ago. That's the one where he put a scoop under his bottom cover and hooked a 4" pipe directly to the bottom of the CAB right? Pretty slick idea. I was actually thinking of doing that but instead of putting it underneath, put it from the passenger side lower grill...

Comment

not big on the screws, but it will do the job of sealing the top. and yes the doc speed one does not touch the hood, and this wont work for those of use with the mpd

nice write and work!

Comment

Originally posted by bluegtp33
                          not big on the screws, but it will do the job of sealing the top. and yes the doc speed one does not touch the hood, and this wont work for those of use with the mpd

nice write and work!
                          Thanks! Yeah, this would completely defeat the purpose of the MPD hood. To hide things a bit, I think I'm goign to paint the acrylic and screws the same color green as the rest of the engine. Just to finish it off a little bit. If I do, I'll update the pictures.

Comment

hmmmm, be interested in having me cut you a tinted piece to cover it? instead of clear?

Comment

Originally posted by bluegtp33
                              hmmmm, be interested in having me cut you a tinted piece to cover it? instead of clear?
                              Hmm, perhaps. I'll see how spraying it green goes and turns out. I'm always down for more color

Comment

Working...
                              X