Need an opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an opinion

So I am revamping my stereo system however I dont know if I want to go with a 5.1 digital surround sound theater or do a set up with a monitor as an afterthought?

I am also trying to decided if I want to go with Alpine all the way around or to use Memphis Car Audio.

I keep thinking how fun it would be to have a 5.1...but I guess in hindsight its really kinda pointless...should I just go for clean sound and scrap the movie theater idea?

Need your opinion
    Alpine 9860 Headunit, Alpine PDX 4.150, Alpine Type X 6.5" Component Set in the doors, Alpine Type R 6x9's in the rear deck. Alpine PDX 1.1000, Alpine Type X 12" Sub, 1 Farad Capacitor.

My "personal opinion" scrap the 5.1! Now maybe in a camper or even maybe a big van, but no need for it in the 6er. It would be neat, but it would be tuned towards movies and im sure you will end up listening to more music then watching movies. Dont get me wrong you can make music sound great on 5.1, but why not tune towards music. Just add a screen, you'll be fine. :smoke:
    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

The thing is it's really great when you have it setup the right way, but unless it is it usually doesn't sound any better. So I'd say not to bother with it, but that's just my 2 cents.

I'd give the vote to Alpine if it were me, I prefer their products.

Comment

since the 6er's radio is 2x high as normal in-dashes, you could get a double din in-dash screen from kenwood or someone that has navi+touchscreen. this will take up the entire space where the stock radio is and wont leave you with that bare looking plate that fills in the space. thats what im going to get put in this winter.
        '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

Originally posted by G6cpM6
          since the 6er's radio is 2x high as normal in-dashes, you could get a double din in-dash screen from kenwood or someone that has navi+touchscreen. this will take up the entire space where the stock radio is and wont leave you with that bare looking plate that fills in the space. thats what im going to get put in this winter.
          but with the G6 the instal kits include a DIC in place of that 'bare looking space'. a lot of kits for other cars offer storage pockets there instead, which i would love to have in the G6....not nearly enough storage space in these things.

Comment

really? so if ive got all that gas mileage calculator stuff and oil life and whatnot i could keep these info things if i got an aftermarket head unit? i figured i'd have to give them all up
            '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

^^http://www.g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1217
              Viola
              Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Originally posted by G6cpM6
                really? so if ive got all that gas mileage calculator stuff and oil life and whatnot i could keep these info things if i got an aftermarket head unit? i figured i'd have to give them all up
                nope, both Scoche and Metra make single din mounting kits that include a DIC display with the buttons. i know people have posted pics in other threads in this section somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyz
                  ^^wrong one
                  lol...eh, you got it.

Comment

^^ I was rushin, boss is right behind me

Comment

haha i hear that. i probably shouldnt be on here right now either but oh well its friday.

that kit is like a dream come true! i really would like to do some serious radio upgrades(even tho the monsoon kicks ass) sometime, and i had even gotten over giving up my 6 disk, but i couldnt come to give up the DIC. thanks for the info
                      '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

N/P
                        The only problem with these (2) kits (well besides the price) is that the screens are not red when they light up. I think (1) lights up blue and the other one has a white light up backround. But if the Hu screen matches the dic screen it should look fine IMO. Enjoy!

Ya i wish my boss would go back to his office
                        But like you said

Comment

Scosche Product

The Scosche kit is really nice and was $200 bucks through my local dealer...that was the only downfall since it racked up the price of the headunit so much more. All in all I am very happy with this kit...it is a white background light up however it doesnt let you adjust its brightness. The brightside to all of this is that it matches the Alpine in-dash CD/DVD player I bought for the car.

Just a warning, since the dash does curve, the headunit is flush in the center but sticks out less than a quarter inch on the sides...sounds silly but it does look sharp.

I can e-mail a pic if you are interested in seeing what it looks like in-dash.
                          Alpine 9860 Headunit, Alpine PDX 4.150, Alpine Type X 6.5" Component Set in the doors, Alpine Type R 6x9's in the rear deck. Alpine PDX 1.1000, Alpine Type X 12" Sub, 1 Farad Capacitor.

Comment

The Metra kit has an adjustable LCD brightness. The buttons can also be green or amber, although the amber doesn't quite match the rest of your dash.

sigpic
                            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Re: Scosche Product

Originally posted by WhatsinaG6
                              The Scosche kit is really nice and was $200 bucks through my local dealer...that was the only downfall since it racked up the price of the headunit so much more. All in all I am very happy with this kit...it is a white background light up however it doesnt let you adjust its brightness. The brightside to all of this is that it matches the Alpine in-dash CD/DVD player I bought for the car.

Just a warning, since the dash does curve, the headunit is flush in the center but sticks out less than a quarter inch on the sides...sounds silly but it does look sharp.

I can e-mail a pic if you are interested in seeing what it looks like in-dash.
                              yeah i wouldnt mind seein a pic. jeepnut@tamu.edu
                              thanks

by 'sharp' do you mean good-looking or are the edges of the radio really sharp like cutting sharp
                              '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

Working...
                              X