Squeal when shifting to second

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeal when shifting to second

I've read in that other thread about a whistling noise coming from the engine and it being the belt, but I have a sound that happens when my car shifts under hard acceleration. It sounds like maybe the belt slipping. If I go from a stop, and floor it all the way near redline, then shift to second (tapshift), I hear a loud squeal/whistle sound. It almost sounds like a blow-off valve, which would be really cool, but I think it might be the belt slipping. It also does it when I floor it in regular Drive mode. Right when it shifts, this loud whistle comes from the engine bay for a second, and it's gone. Belt?
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

I haven't had that problem, but I think you may be onto something. My first guess would be a belt, but hard to see/hear what you are talking about.

Comment

I have the same problem although i don't have tap shift under hard acceleration the sound is present. Don't know what it is but the belt sounds like a good guess.

Comment

yeah mine does it too.. i think it sounds nice :warped:

Comment

I also have it, but to me it sounds like it is comming from the intake.
          Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Me also i now it the serpentine belt, have some one rev your engine while u stand out side and look by the (belt tension arm) when it revs past around 3 thousand u will hear it squeal mine is so loud i cant stand it at first it sound cool now after 30,000 miles it has gotten to the point when i never floor my car becuas it sounds like ass... I know the air sucking in the intake noise is awsome but the belt slip I am taking it to the dealer within the next week. it sad that after almost 2 years i finaly know what it is
            My Progress thread
            http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...282#post429282

Comment

i haven't heard anything yet
              -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
              Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Started to notice the same sound 3 days ago. Sounds like metal grinding against metal. I have an auto with manual shift mode.
                2007 G6 GT white convertible, monsoon, painted calipers, McCulloch 5300k lows, 5% rear, 35% front, Alpine MRP-M350 amp, 2 12" Memphis subwoofers, w/ amp turn off switch, custom LED's, Dynamat, digital capacitor, Katzkin leather.

Comment

Is it possible that the belt tensioner is going bad? I can understand that if you let off the gas between shifts that the belt may slip as soon as you hit it hard again.
                  Just my .02
                  G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                  Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                  Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                  20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Taking my car to the GM bodyshop monday to replace/repair a few things: passenger headlight lens has fog, driver side mirror rattles when music is played, with top up and music off I hear rattling noises which I find annoying, also just noticed clicking while shifting in manual mode and whistling while also in manual mode.
                    2007 G6 GT white convertible, monsoon, painted calipers, McCulloch 5300k lows, 5% rear, 35% front, Alpine MRP-M350 amp, 2 12" Memphis subwoofers, w/ amp turn off switch, custom LED's, Dynamat, digital capacitor, Katzkin leather.

Comment

Maybe you're just catching 2nd gear rubbah!
                      BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                      ^ The Man
                      v The Legend

Comment

mine does it too. It does sound like a blow off valve. lol
                        2006 G6 Coupe

2002 S10 Xtreme

http://www.2lo2tow.com

Comment

Kinda does.. but i find it annoying after a while.. sounds like metal grinding to me

Comment

havnt had the problem yet, but I only have 205 miles on my car
                            2006 G6 GT
                            Debadged
                            20% Window Tint
                            Painted molded mudflaps
                            DS Stage 4 CAI
                            8000K VVME HIDs Low Beam Conversion
                            Nokya Hyper yellow Fogs
                            Painted Red Calipers

Comment

I'm starting to suspect I have a leak in my exhaust. I recently changed my air filter, thought maybe it didn't have a good fit or it was the wrong one, so I switched it back to the OEM just to see if that solves the problem. Didn't work so it has to be the exhaust. Squeals when the pedal is down halfway in 1st gear (manual shift mode), then I hear it in second. Can't really hear it in third or fourth however.

Comment

Working...
                              X