Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2004 malibu SS with 3.5 V6?! what the...?!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 malibu SS with 3.5 V6?! what the...?!!!

spotted this on another forum. They saw this car at the barrett jackson auction.

I doubt its a typo. I remember hearing about how the G6 GTP was supposed to come with a high output version of the 3.5 making 280ish HP. Do you think this malibu has that? I doubt it has the regular 200hp 3.5 (LX9) and its way before the 3.5VVT (220ish HP).

Re: 2004 malibu SS with 3.5 V6?! what the...?!!!

so how come they dont give us gt ppl that 3.5l engine?!?

Do you guys think this engine could fit in the 6er???

Comment

In 2004 there was no 3900 yet, still in final design. There was no other 220+ HP engine from GM besides the 3800 SC, that car you saw at barret jackson is prob a "prototype" for the to come for the SS. Even in 2004 a 200 HP V6 was still big and I can see GM wanting to badge it as a SS. In 2009 it would make no since. Since the 3500 was new and the old 3400 got Grand Am GT, the more powerful 3500 could at that time make an SS badging. Esp since GM in 04 was going to have a SS trim of everything they wanted even if it wasnt really that powerful, it was just a selling trend to push out more cars.

I doubt that SS had more then 220 HP at the most in that 3500. Now for the 280 HP GTP that was supose to be the 3900 3V design that was supose to come in 2008 for the new GXP trim. However due to CAFE and more much more fuel effecent DOHC 3.6L with the 6spd auto was here the 3900 3V idea went the way of the dinasoar. To top it off pushrod engines have a bad name for fuel economy, only pushrod engine excepted without contraversy is a V8. As the 3900 is the most powerful NA pushrod V6 engine ever with the offset bore and still only makes 240 HP the convential 3500 could never come close to make 280 HP in production.
      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
      Gotta have it Green color
      Brembo brake package
      420 HP 5.0L
      Ford Racing Power Pack
      GT500 track pack differential cover
      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Window sticker says it's a prototype.

FourDoorMafia MySpace | YouTube

Current Mods: ZZP Strut Bar | CRAB FPU w/Fenderwell Intake
        Future Mods: Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
        Fabrication: Rear Strut Bar

Comment

Originally posted by justham
          Window sticker says it's a prototype.
          I didnt even read the 2nd paragragh of the paper work

2013 Mustang GT
          Brembo brake package
          420 HP 5.0L
          Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

It also says it does not comply with state and federal laws... and is not for highway use.

Maybe it has some kinda sweet prototype exhaust or intake setup?

FourDoorMafia MySpace | YouTube

Current Mods: ZZP Strut Bar | CRAB FPU w/Fenderwell Intake
            Future Mods: Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
            Fabrication: Rear Strut Bar

Comment

Well someone had to love the Malibu so much to buy it. I know it's the "unique prototype" factor for anyone to buy this, but I just personally wouldn't. Find an actual production SS, you get a more powerful engine, cheaper and you can actually use it on the road.

But hey... if this will show up at Barrett Jackson, I hope GM auctions off the G6 GXP, so Darlene's guys can get cracking on the sedan body kit.
              <-- Gray G6? Click!
              2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
              2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
              Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

according to the VIN the motor code is "8"

i have the 3.5 VVT and my engine code is an "N"

SOooooooo.... can someone with the 3.6 (lx9) look at their vin and give me the 8th character in their vin?

"8" = 3.5 (lx9)???

Comment

http://www.goodwrench.com/gmgoodwrenchj ... incard.pdf

Code is "L" according to the card.
                  <-- Gray G6? Click!
                  2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
                  2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
                  Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

What I'm wondering is why it has dual exhaust if it's the 3.5L. ALL 3.5L ENGINES only have single exhaust....
                    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
                    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
                    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
                    2005 CGM GTO.
                    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
                      What I'm wondering is why it has dual exhaust if it's the 3.5L. ALL 3.5L ENGINES only have single exhaust....
                      Production costs, plus the 3500 never became the SS trim, the 3900 did. If the 3500 did become the SS trim I beat it would have had the dual exhaust on it.

Originally posted by ToniCipriani
                      But hey... if this will show up at Barrett Jackson, I hope GM auctions off the G6 GXP, so Darlene's guys can get cracking on the sedan body kit.
                      That would be nice if they did, I would like to get ahold of the 3900 3v engine! But thats all just a dream

2013 Mustang GT
                      Brembo brake package
                      420 HP 5.0L
                      Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

Neat prototype Looks like they used it as a body-work-in-progress platform while they finished work on the engine.

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

Originally posted by Tupperware SC2
                          according to the VIN the motor code is "8"

i have the 3.5 VVT and my engine code is an "N"

SOooooooo.... can someone with the 3.6 (lx9) look at their vin and give me the 8th character in their vin?

"8" = 3.5 (lx9)???
                          The 3.6 is an LY7 I think isn't it?
                          2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
                          1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Comment

Originally posted by dre256
                            In 2004 there was no 3900 yet, still in final design. There was no other 220+ HP engine from GM besides the 3800 SC, that car you saw at barret jackson is prob a "prototype" for the to come for the SS. Even in 2004 a 200 HP V6 was still big and I can see GM wanting to badge it as a SS. In 2009 it would make no since. Since the 3500 was new and the old 3400 got Grand Am GT, the more powerful 3500 could at that time make an SS badging. Esp since GM in 04 was going to have a SS trim of everything they wanted even if it wasnt really that powerful, it was just a selling trend to push out more cars.

I doubt that SS had more then 220 HP at the most in that 3500. Now for the 280 HP GTP that was supose to be the 3900 3V design that was supose to come in 2008 for the new GXP trim. However due to CAFE and more much more fuel effecent DOHC 3.6L with the 6spd auto was here the 3900 3V idea went the way of the dinasoar. To top it off pushrod engines have a bad name for fuel economy, only pushrod engine excepted without contraversy is a V8. As the 3900 is the most powerful NA pushrod V6 engine ever with the offset bore and still only makes 240 HP the convential 3500 could never come close to make 280 HP in production.
                            I remember reading about a 280hp SUPERCHARGED 3.5 V6, not a 280hp 3.9 V6. Seeing as how GM made a handful of factory supercharged 3.4 V6 in the grand am, its not unlikely. I really wish there was an underhood pic.

I also don't see an "SS" logo embroderied on the seats.

Comment

Originally posted by newbiestyle
                              I remember reading about a 280hp SUPERCHARGED 3.5 V6, not a 280hp 3.9 V6. Seeing as how GM made a handful of factory supercharged 3.4 V6 in the grand am, its not unlikely. I really wish there was an underhood pic.
                              The GX6 G6 Coupe concept looks much like the 2005 SEMA G6 Performance Coupe concept, though wearing different (and better-looking) wheels. Where the SEMA concept was all about the looks, the 2006 GXP concept takes the look of the SEMA concept and adds a 270HP 3.9L V6 mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Air flow tricks include a ram air induction system with K&N air filter to a cat-back free-flowing exhaust.
                              http://news.vehiclevoice.com/2006/04/po ... ept_1.html

Sorry was 270 HP But it was a 3V 3900 not a 2V, that they didnt mention

2013 Mustang GT
                              Brembo brake package
                              420 HP 5.0L
                              Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

Working...
                              X