Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing the top portion of the engine??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing the top portion of the engine??

So I polished the valve cover on my previous car and I've been looking at my G6 with the 3.5L because I'd like to polish the very top almuminum cover of the engine that is underneath the plastic cover. Now I don't know too much about these V6's so does anyone know whats under there if the bolts are taken out and this thing is removed. Is it just part of the intake and just a hollow "valley" like SB chevy's?? Is there a gasket-cork, rubber, anything else that might need to be replaced. I really don't want to just pull the cover off and be surprised by something thats under there. If anyone has any info about the actual removing the cover I will polish mine and post in the How-To section so everyone else has the ability to polish their's.
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

That would look awesome. Some of the GP guys use to polish their M90 superchargers... A lot of work from what I heard!

John
    Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

It is a ton of work, takes hours and hours to get a nice polished look on the metal. Like I said if anyone has info about taking the very top of the intake off the rest of the intake please post. I'll post a in the HOW-TO section with pics and all that is needed so the rest of you can do this mod also. I did my last car and it make the engine compartment look beautiful.
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

It should be a pretty straightforward process. Just a few bolts, then you have to remove the throttle body, and whatever other vacuum tubes are going into it. You might need to replace some gaskets, although the car is still pretty new so maybe not.

You should just do it and write up a how-to I know polishing that thing takes many many hours of hand labor...
        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I'll definitely do a how to for everyone, the only question I have is what type of gasket is between that very top portion and the rest of the intake? I don't want to take the 4 bolt's out and all the hoses to be surprised whats underneath.

Comment

Well I checked out GM Parts Dealer online to see what kind of gaskets are under there. It looks like there's 2, a manifold and a plenum, and together they cost $78! Check it out you might be able to make better sense of it than me. http://www.gm-parts-dealer.com/parts.htm. Just do a search for 'gasket'

But like I said before, since the car is fairly new, you shouldn't really have any issues with the gaskets yet.
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Well it looks like I'll just have to pull the cover off and see what in there, not sure when I'll be able to get this polishing endevour done but I will post pics for sure and I'll do a How-To on the entire process from removal to reinstallation of the cover. Thanks for your help GTPGuy.

Comment

You won't have a problem reusing the gaskets. The car is still new enough. It's actually made of Aluminum I think. You need to be very carefull when you polish. I would reuse the gaskets. Here's a different Idea, You could pull it off, have it sandblasted. Cost about 20 bucks to have it sandblasted. That will take most of the roughness off of it. Then go with some sanding. Once you make it smooth, you could actually bring it and have it powder coated any color you wanted. There is a chrome looking powder coating that you could go with. would be easier than just straight up polishing it. What you just want to remember is, it's made out of aluminum because it is supposed to disperse heat cooling down the air that is sent into the engine. Good luck though, take LOTS of pics, and take your time. Your car will be out of commission for a LONG time. I polished the Intake Plenum, that's what it's called, on another car, and it took about 30 hours or so of polishing/prep work. I don't know what your schedule is like, but that means you won't have your G6 to drive for quite some time. Just don't rush yourself because you're out of a vehicle.
                Redline Elite Quicklift Kit
                GT-R Exhaust System
                K&N Typhoon CAB
                EBC Slotted/Cross Dimpled Front/Rear Rotors
                EBC RedStuff Front/Rear Pads

Comment

Anyone ever do this? Any pictures?
                  If ignorance is bliss, going to Clemson must be orgasmic...

2011 Cyber Gray Metallic 2SS/RS

Comment

Working...
                  X