How To: Spray Tint Tail Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Spray Tint Tail Lights

Well it seems that on every forum I frequent, there are multiple threads at once asking, "how do I tint my tail lights!?". I for one have grown tired of them, so perhaps we could sticky this or just point people towards this. Some of the steps are extremely redundant, but sometimes people still ask me, "how do I get my tail lights out".

Using the products, Niteshades and spray clear

Step One: Open your trunk

Step Two: Remove the two black plastic retainers (normally will hold your cargo net up), pull back the carpet, and remove two 10 mm nuts. Remove the two torx (20) bolts that hold on the black trim around the trunk opening portion of the light assembly. Do this for both sides

Step Three: Remove third brake light just the same, minus the carpet. Remove two 10 mm bolts, release the silver prongs that are inside the trunk lid itself, and un-snap wiring connector with a flat head screw driver. No pictures here, figured it was pretty self explanatory.

OPTIONAL: SKIP TO STEP 7 IF YOU WOULD PREFER A SOLID TINTED TAIL LIGHT

Step Four: Thoroughly clean the tail light surface, particularly around the reverse lights.
    Step Five: Mask with good quality masking tape, overlaping and over running the reverse lens surface.

Step Six: Trim around the reverse portion of the tail light. There is a slight groove around this area, so trace it with a pen if you coordination isn't all that good. This is the groove you want to cut along, if you go on the inside of it, you will have some clear portion tinted, go to the outside, and the ugly stock red will show. Take your time, this is one of the most crucial steps.

Step Seven: This step is not necessary, but I personally find that the product will both stick better and have a more even appearance. Scuff the surface with 1000 grit sand paper. try to do this in a similar motion across the entire tail light.

Step Eight: Clean the surface of the lenses with a wax and grease remover. This can be found at most automotive supply shops. I have seen people use windex for this purpose, as it is a strong ammonia based cleaner, but I still like to use the real stuff. I advise against the use of windex for this purpose. Once you have cleaned the surface, DO NOT TOUCH THE LENS SURFACE. If you are clumsy, wear some rubber gloves.

Step Nine: Once ready to shoot your nite shades product, give it one quick run over with a tack cloth or a lint free cloth to ensure there are no contaminants on the surface.

Step Ten: Spray one lite coat of niteshades over the lens, while holding the can at approximately 6 inchs from the lens. This is your tack coat.

Step Eleven: Spray as many flow coats of niteshades as you would like. A flow coat will be enough product to not look wrinkly or stubbly once applied. For my vehicle, I chose only one flow coat. I was looking for a mild tint, which would not attract much attention from the po po. I'd say this is what most light colored vehicle owners would want, but black and darker colors may chose to use two for that blacked out appearance.

Step Twelve: After waiting roughly 1 hour to allow the product to tack up properly, then apply a tack coat of clear coat. VERY light application is recommended, simply because I've seen adverse reaction with some clears and niteshades. I'm not sure if this is because of the outgassing process, or because niteshades is a etching product.

Step Thirteen: Apply a flow coat of clear. Try to avoid laying it on to heavy and getting runs, but if you do get one, don't worry too much. We can handle this in the sanding stages. Allow the clear coat to cure for an hour.

Step Fourteen: This is completely optional. I prefer to bake the product to aid the curing process. This is will also considerably cut down on the curing time. Set your oven on convection and 125 oF. If you cannot select a convection setting, I would recommend skipping this step as the direct heat may crack the lenses. Ensure proper ventilation. I have my stove vented directly into the exhaust fan for my microwave, however, I still used the vent on the microwave to pull what ever other fumes may be present.

Step Fifteen: Admire your finished product!

Luckily my lights didn't require any sanding or polishing. If yours do, feel free to PM me and I can walk you through the sanding and polishing process. However, the jizt of it is, wetsand with 2000 grit to remove knubs or runs. Have someone polish them with a orbital buffer, or if you'd like to attempt this yourself, pick up some body shop safe compound and polish. Go to town buffing them back to a gloss (this will take forever by hand, so be patient).

Pictures on the car in a bit.
    2006 Pontiac G6 GT with Panoroof

Re: My Tinted Tail Lights How To: Spray Tint

Very nice write up. They look real nice. This thread might get more visability in the "How To" section though. What do you think GT-R, bump??

Comment

tagging this thread
      sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

Originally posted by oldmanvette1975
        Very nice write up. They look real nice. This thread might get more visability in the "How To" section though. What do you think GT-R, bump??
        Whoops, thats where it should have been.

Ok, before/after:

Before, stock:

After:

Still nice and bright when lit:

Comment

[quote="zach4u2c"]

Look whats for dinner tonight!!

roasted tinted tail light in its juices....

Excellent writeup!!

what clear did you use?

Comment

Dude those look AWESOME. Almost the exact shade I want. Great how to

Is that a custom plate?

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Originally posted by mike91y2k

Is that a custom plate?
              No sir. Just happend to get that number. My mother hates it when I come over and she see's it.

I used some Rondex brand clear, any automotive clear will work though.

Comment

Originally posted by zach4u2c

Is that a custom plate?
                No sir. Just happend to get that number. My mother hates it when I come over and she see's it.
                Lucky. I wanted it but i swear the dps was messing with me when they gave me 696

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Is that a custom plate?
                  Death to the EPA

Comment

Re: How To: Spray Tint Tail Lights

Nice i was going for that shade also after a couple days it looks a little lighter. though

Nice Write up
                    My Progress thread
                    http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...282#post429282

Comment

This is just what I needed to help me repair the ones I bought that were damaged. Thanks
                      My Car Domain
                      Vector 93 ECM/TCM Dyno tune, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 235/50/18 , RacingLine Motor Mounts & Strut Bar, R1 Premium drilled rotors, Custom Exhaust w/ 4" tips, Inchannel Rain Guards, Crabs CAB & Front Pipe Upgrade, GXP rear bumper, 15% Ceramic Tint, Blue Calipers, Blue Dart Overlays, Upper Window & Lower Grill Chrome, Side GTP Emblems, Chrome Door Locks, 8k HID Head & Fogs, Pioneer Head Unit, Rockford Door Speakers

Comment

Any tips on tinting the third brake light in the GXP coupe spoiler? It's not removable.

Comment

Originally posted by jessebkr87
                          Any tips on tinting the third brake light in the GXP coupe spoiler? It's not removable.
                          I still don't understand how it can't be removed. The spoilers are just bolted to the body no? Remove the spoiler, and then release the tabs on the 3rd brake light. I'm not arguing with anyone, but you would think here would be a way to replace the bulb when it burns out.

Anyways, if it is indeed non-removable, then you could simply mask with masking tap around the lamp, then mask with newspaper, taping onto the tape outlining the stop lamp.

Comment

Well, it's bolted on and if it's like the one you can order from the dealer it's also stuck on with tape. I don't feel like ripping my spoiler off. They shouldn't ever burn out because the GXP spoiler comes stock with L.E.D.s in it.

Comment

Originally posted by jessebkr87
                              Well, it's bolted on and if it's like the one you can order from the dealer it's also stuck on with tape. I don't feel like ripping my spoiler off. They shouldn't ever burn out because the GXP spoiler comes stock with L.E.D.s in it.
                              Ohhh, thought they'd be incandescent bulbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X