Debadging/Rebadging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debadging/Rebadging question

I have an 05 G6 V6 sedan that's leased. I've seen a few in the area (and on this forum) that have their trunks debadged and I think this makes the car look much better. What I would like to do is remove the Pontiac G6 lettering and the Pontiac logo and leave just the V6 on for now. I have already removed the dealers badge (thanks to some dental floss and goo gone) so taking the badges off is not an issue for me. My concern is that if I decide to return the car I'll have to put the badges back on. I understand I can do this with some double sided tape (I can get from any hardware store right?). This will work easy for the larger lettering but the word Pontiac is made up of individual small, flimsy letters.

Will I have any problems trying to put this lettering back on? I'm not so concerned with lining it up properly, but rather actually getting the letters back on themselves. They are very thin and would be impossible to get the tape to go on in anything but little tiny strips. Has anyone had any luck puting this lil buggers back on? I've also noticed the adhesive GM uses seems to be quite thick (much thicker than the tape I would use to put it back on). Would this adhesive come off the lettering completely so the badges will go back on nice and flush?

Thanks again, if the damn car weren't leased I wouldn't think twice about this, but I don't want to kick myself in two years if I have to return it and shell out some money to fix this.

Well know there are a lot of people that have had problems with their emblems falling off by themselves, so whenever you return the car you can just say they fell off and you didn't have time to have such a small problem fixed at the dealership. Well that's one option.

If you're really careful, it it possible to get the badges off and keep the tape intact on them, so you can put them back on. Because trying to get double-sided tape back on those tiny letters would be nearly impossible without having some of the tape showing.

Your last option is to just take them off, and worry about it when you have to return the car. They badges aren't too expensive, and you can usually find them on ebay for even cheaper. Just buy a new set and put it on before you return the car.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Your last option is to just take them off, and worry about it when you have to return the car. They badges aren't too expensive, and you can usually find them on ebay for even cheaper. Just buy a new set and put it on before you return the car.
      Thanks for your help. Do you think if I just kept the badges around and did have troubles puting them back on I could just pay a body shop to do it for me? As long as it was under $50 that would seem to be a reasonable option IMO. Part of the C in pontiac is starting to peel off already... part of me just wants it to fly off so I can have an excuse to take the rest off.

Comment

Keep them for sure-just keep them in a baggy. Although you won't have any problem when you return the car, after all its just badges. Hell they probably won't even notice them missing. Believe me I tried cutting double sided emblem take to play around with placement on my dash and its a pain in the ass-don't even worry about them!!
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

The badges are very inexpensive new ones will be the easy way-
          As a point you might want to remember-You have a Leased vehicle and any changes you make will have to be removed and original equipment put back on. So I would save everything. If you decide to modify something buy it off eBay or salvage yard and modify that part-put the OEM away for replacement when lease is up.
          2006 Fusion Orange Coupe GT, Limo Tint, Chrome strut Bar, Chrome intake, Debadged, Metalic Silver PONTIAC wind shield, Metalic silver pin stripe, Chrome wheels with Locks, Aftermarket rear spoiler, GT-R exhaust, Painted engine and battery covers,

Comment

I just turned in my leased '04 Grand Prix that was 100% debadged and no issue.

EDIT: I think it has to do with the condidtion of the vehicle when you turn it in. My Grand Prix was spotless and was damn near brand new looking. So I know they would overlook the Debadge and the Fram Quick Oil Change Plug on.

So if you return it spotless, don't sweat it.

Comment

Re: Debadging/Rebadging question

Originally posted by wonderboy905
              I have an 05 G6 V6 sedan that's leased. I've seen a few in the area (and on this forum) that have their trunks debadged and I think this makes the car look much better. What I would like to do is remove the Pontiac G6 lettering and the Pontiac logo and leave just the V6 on for now. I have already removed the dealers badge (thanks to some dental floss and goo gone) so taking the badges off is not an issue for me. My concern is that if I decide to return the car I'll have to put the badges back on. I understand I can do this with some double sided tape (I can get from any hardware store right?). This will work easy for the larger lettering but the word Pontiac is made up of individual small, flimsy letters.

Will I have any problems trying to put this lettering back on? I'm not so concerned with lining it up properly, but rather actually getting the letters back on themselves. They are very thin and would be impossible to get the tape to go on in anything but little tiny strips. Has anyone had any luck puting this lil buggers back on? I've also noticed the adhesive GM uses seems to be quite thick (much thicker than the tape I would use to put it back on). Would this adhesive come off the lettering completely so the badges will go back on nice and flush?

Thanks again, if the damn car weren't leased I wouldn't think twice about this, but I don't want to kick myself in two years if I have to return it and shell out some money to fix this.

How did you get the dealer badge off?? I 'm so want to get rid of it.

2006 Black G6 Sedan , Mobil 1, Custom license Frame Plate, Solar Gard Flim 20% Tint ,Vision Bulbs 6000k HID

Comment

How did you get the dealer badge off?? I 'm so want to get rid of it.
                Same way I'm taking off the Pontiac G6 lettering right now (although the dealer badge was much, MUCH easier!!!).

I used a blow dryer on its hottest setting for about 10-15 seconds (when the badge is hot to the touch it's ready). Sprayed on some goo gone, wiggled a peice of dental floss behind it and sawed it away. Then I washed it away (it's not good to let good gone dry on your car). Then I sprayed goo gone on it again, whiped it in with my fingers, let it sit for about a minute and whiped it with a microfiber towel, came off perfect the first time... now as for those pesky GM badges, not the same story! I've repeated the last step about 5 or 6 times and the darn "G6" lettering is still showing (every time I do it does yeild some improvement, I'll get there eventually, just trying to be careful). I tried to pickup some 3M adhesive remover tonight but couldn't find any, the goo gone really isn't getting the job done very quick. Hopefully a few more times will do the trick. I do rinse it off good and dry it after each attempt...

If you're taking off your dealer badge I hope they were like my dealer and used some cheap-ass easy-off adhesive

Comment

If you're having trouble getting the residue off under the badges, just use wax.
                  -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Use a paint cleaner to get off what the goo gone isn't, that will clean up the lettering still showing. If it hasn't come off with that many tries with goo gone, it's doubtful you will get it all off. WD-40 will work also in replacement for the goo gone.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. The goo gone eventually got it off (after 4 more attempts). Thankfully things look perfect and even though those badges have been on there for a year and a half there's no visible paint fade, it was just a heck of a lot more work than I had thought it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
                        Use a paint cleaner to get off what the goo gone isn't, that will clean up the lettering still showing. If it hasn't come off with that many tries with goo gone, it's doubtful you will get it all off. WD-40 will work also in replacement for the goo gone.
                        Could I just use wd-40 to spray it off less work???

2006 Black G6 Sedan , Mobil 1, Custom license Frame Plate, Solar Gard Flim 20% Tint ,Vision Bulbs 6000k HID

Comment

^ Either or should work, I've had both of them remove stuff better than the other just depends on what it is. Use whatever you have first to try, and it should get it off easy.

Comment

Ok done... at least for now. Not sure if I want to take off the Pontiac badge or not. Thanks again guys! Getting rid of the dealer badge, dealer plate frame, Pontiac G6 lettering and adding on a $15 exhaust tip have made my car look 10x better from the rear. Simple things anyone can do to their G6 for next to nothing in cost (GT/P owners can skip the exhaust tip obviously).

Comment

Looks good...

Now tint the windows and get the stock spoiler

Comment

Working...
                              X