• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mothers California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System

Brand: Mother's
    Price: About $18
    Purchased From: Local Auto Store

Application: Easy
    Application Time: An hour or two if you plan on doing the entire car.
    Any Application Tips You Have: Make sure car is clean and free of debris. Set aside a good two hours to if you plan on detailing the entire car (including wash, dry, claybar, and wax). And be sure to use LOTS of detailing spray when rubbing the claybar over the paint. If you can't get something out of the paint, it's ok to rub a little harder, as long as you lube the area up with the spray.

Quality of Part: 9
    Product Performance: 10
    Would you Recommend to Others: Yes

Any Other Comments: I've always used claybars for small portions of the car if I couldn't get something off the paint, but today was the first time I did it on the entire car. It makes the paint look like the first time you saw it in the dealership showroom. Also gives the surface an amazing smoothness and reflection when you apply wax afterwards.

The only thing I didn't like was the wax that came with it. It was Mother's brand, but I use a different one which I think is much better. So the only thing you're really paying for is the claybar (which could be bigger), and the detailing spray. But if you run your hand over your paint after you wash and/or wax it, and you feel all little dots or pieces of debris, definitely try this out. You'll get a much better shine and reflection.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Nice write up, it's amazing what clay pulls off the paint which you can't see. You can also use soapy water instead of detailing spray, that is if you don't have any.

Comment

The clay is very amazing, I've used it on many of my vehicles-I bought two bars and just put them together for one big one. When I did paint work on the engine bay of my 77 camaro there was some overspray on the clear of the entire car-due to back ventilation (I know I know) but anyways the clay took all of the overspray off like nothin! Not to mention is leaves the paint like glass afterwards-a great product!!
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

can you buy just the bar anywhere? i havent been able to find one...thinking about getting the system tonight and just using my NXT wax instead of the one that comes with the kit
        -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
        Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

You can't use wax with the claybar... unless I misunderstood you.

You can buy just the clay at most auto body places, and some stores. But I always just order mine of the net since it's way cheaper, but the kits are nice if you don't have any detailing spray.

Comment

He's talking about the wax that comes in the kit. The entire Mother's kit comes with a small bottle of wax, spray, and the bar. But the wax isn't so great. You'd be better off using the NXT.
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

yea, i meant i was going to use NXT after the clay instead of the probably crappier wax that comes in the kit (like mike said)

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
              Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Oh sorry then, my bad.

Comment

NXT ?? What is this?
                  2006 G6 GT Liquid Silver Sedan with leather package, Monsoon sound w/6 CD, 17" alloy rims, standard sunroof, Dr Speed CAB, GM strut bar...

Comment

Meguiar's synthetic line of detailing products.

Comment

^ AKA one of the greatest waxes ever made!!!

As a side note, I tried Meguair's claybar product. I've never used a claybar before so I don't know if it's any better or worse than Mother's. It did make my paint smooth as glass though, and it came with a claybar and a bottle of detaling spray (no wax) for cheaper than Mother's kit.

Comment

I give a nod to Meguiar's claybar. I have not tried anyother to compare to. But I bought my car used and gave it a full bath and then a full claybar rub. Man, I had to use three clumps to do the car it was soo dirty.

I love claybars. But I have also heard to not use it too often (maybe once a year at most). Not sure if that is true or not. Also, I don't think there is a need to use it too much either. I guess it depends on where you drive and live.
                        "As long as you can laugh at yourself, you will never cease to be amused."
                        -unknown

Comment

i tried mothers claybar a month ago and wasn't impressed...no more claybarring for me, just wash/polish/wax from now on

Comment

Of course, most of us who are "particular" about are cars won't need to claybar their car because it is pretty clean to start with and stays that way.
                            "As long as you can laugh at yourself, you will never cease to be amused."
                            -unknown

Comment

maybe that's why it didnt seem to do anything...since i wash it twice a week to begin with

Comment

Working...
                              X