How to remove lower grills, detailed with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove lower grills, detailed with pics

Okay so before I started the project I looked around on here with only vague clip-its of information on how to remove the lower grills. So I figured that i could figure it out and i did but I thought I would throw together a how to with pics and everything for people in the future who want to do this project.

Difficulty
    (1 devil=cake, 5=project hell)

Tools needed:
    1. 2-3 flat head screwdrivers (one with tape on the blade)
    2.Socket set with a 9/32 socket
    3.thin bladed knife
    4.pliers
    5.some muscle

Okay start off by taking the screws off of the panel underneath your front bumper by removing the screws.

Now remove the 2 little plugs from the top of each grill, they look like this

I used a screw driver to get them propped out a bit then just snatched them with pliers and ripped them out

Now, from the rear stick a screw driver covered in masking tape in between the bumper and the grill as far as you can until you feel it poke the stupid 3m tape there and then stop. Now come out from under the car and prop on the screwdriver so it makes a little baby gap from the front seen here

This allows you to stick your thin bladed knife into the gap created because there is a little lip on the bumper for the grill so you cant just stab in there without first propping the screwdriver just a little.
    Now gently saw to the left and right to cut the tape, obviously keep constant upward pressure so that only your stock grills are put at a minor risk vs. your bumper being at a risk and cut the tape. Tape is only on the top and the bottom.

You will feel a pop when you get through all the tape in each direction. Once you achieve this then, with the screwdriver still stuck into the rear gap prop it again and stick one in the front ever so gently and then use that gap to slip your fingers into the gap like so.

With your hand in the gap, start tugging using the muscle you were instructed to bring until one side breaks loose and then just work around until the whole thing pops loose

NOTE: If you have any problems with this step use the rear screw drive to be propped into one of the stupid tabs in the back shown here

Now repeat with the other grill and you are finished!!!!

Hope this helps some future grill removers!!!
    sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Re: How to remove lower grills, detailed with pics

Deffinatly going to help once I can get a few good days to do mine

Great write up
    Current Mods: K&N Typhoon Air Intake System, 10000K DDM HID Lows and fogs, 6000K Highs, 18" Forte Nokturnal rims, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Tires, Chrome upper and lower grilles, self tinted tail lights, self painted interior pieces, RacingLine front strut tower bar, GT-R exhaust, Blue painted Calipers, Lampoon blue dart overlays, LED reverse lights, sometimes a WAMS tune,Brembo Brake Conversion, Cobalt SS rear Brake conversion, 15mm H&R Spacers, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Eagle Eye CCFL Headlights, Optima Yellow top Battery, Moog Control Arms & Tie rod ends, BMD SS Brake Lines, BMD Swaybar Links, White LED Gauge Lights,

RIP
    INDIAN WARRIORS
    1926-2010

Comment

Great write up. I need to replace my stock one with recessed black ones.
      Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

Just a note, the 08 does not have that lil button you have to pull out. Just the tape and it snaps in as well.
        Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

I'm going to try this to pull mine out, I want to re-paint them. Can anyone verify what Fischer said is true?

Current Mods
          -------------
          G6 Black on Red Mats
          Tint: Front 20%/Rear 15%
          Raptor H.I.D. kit 5000k Fogs
          Raptor H.I.D. kit 4500k Lows
          Interior red L.E.D.
          1000W Speaker & Amp
          Crabs Option 3
          Painted Calipers Red
          Dual Custom Exhaust
          Halo Angel Eyes

Upcoming Mods
          ---------------
          Need Ideas

Comment

I have a newer G6, mine doesn't have the plastic grilles. I have the mesh metal grilles and there is no tape. There's some type of clips that I just can't seem to effing get off. I'm thinking I'll have to take the bumper off to get the grilles off maybe? I really need to do something with them because either because it's stock, or the previous owner painted this thick grey paint on it that is chipping off really bad. That being said, I really need to remove the grille. However, I will try to just remove the bumper first

G6's are like, awesome!

Comment

take a picture. Im betting they aren't factory grilles
              sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

If that isn't showing, http://www.g6performance.com/forum/a...hp?albumid=331, go there and view it in my album. I took it with my phone so you can't see the peeling as well as I'd like but yeah. (btw, don't worry, I'm washing it as soon as i finish with some exterior stuff haha)

G6's are like, awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Deshon85 View Post

If that isn't showing, http://www.g6performance.com/forum/a...hp?albumid=331, go there and view it in my album. I took it with my phone so you can't see the peeling as well as I'd like but yeah. (btw, don't worry, I'm washing it as soon as i finish with some exterior stuff haha)
                  First off, this hot-to was for the standard grills, you have a GXP which is different. Although I bet GM uses the same type of clips to attach things. If I had a GXP I'd go have a look ... but I don't.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ah, yeah I supposedly have a GT but like my whole body style looks like a GXP. Thanks anyway dude

G6's are like, awesome!

Comment

I don't remember if screws were used or not, but either way once you have the retainers out of the way, the best way to remove the grills (if not going to reuse) is to don a pair of gloves and just rip the old ones out! After all my time being gentle and attempting to extract them the proper way I ended up reading someones how-to and he stated to "Pull them out!" I did that and all done in minutes.
                      Traded in G6 GTP 17 September 2012 for 2011 Musang GT 5.0L 6sp manual.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.”

Get Honor, Stay Honor

Comment

Working...
                      X