Need suggestion on floor jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestion on floor jack

Ok, I'm about to kick some ass. I am in need of a new floor jack. My father in law has a craftsman that has lasted almost 30 years, but from the reviews I've read, they don't make 'em like they used to. They are constantly blowing seals from substandard parts. So, I need some suggestions of a jack I can buy that will last longer than 3 years.

I've read some of the Porsche, Viper and Z06 forums and they are say the the Harbor Freight jacks are actually pretty good jacks for the money. Thanks for any suggestions guys!!

(P.S. I can't spend more than $150)
    2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
    1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Re: Need suggestion on floor jack

I have a harbor freight jack it seems to work pretty well don't use it a lot because we have a real lift but since the Goat sits in between it i used the jack to remove the resonator. it lifted the car so it did the right thing.
    Originally posted by WoodburyMan
    There's a page of leghumping afterwards

Comment

my dads friends shop had harbor frieght and got rid of them a month after they bought them. they were cheep and kept blowing seal and stuff
      87 Jeep Comanche Metric Ton
      90 Eagle Talon TSI
      09 G6 Progression(New Car)
      My Progression

Comment

Do like I did, borrow your friend's and just never give it back. I still have it, he moved to Austria, free jack. I am not sure what it is though, but I have never had a problem with it except a metal plate that does not like staying on, no it not the one you use to lift the car, but one that has the lift stats on it.
        2008 G6 gray sedan
        GM door badges removed other then that stock still, but I have removed the rear head rests and flipped the fronts(just did not like them, I'm short) and I do think it looks better
        Hopefully I will get something else done to it eventually

Comment

i have a craftsman floor jack i bought shortly after i bought my house and have not had any problems with it. it's not quite a year old yet but it gets used quite a bit. i have always liked craftsman tools. harbor freight stuff i always buy expecting it to be disposable. i use some of their tools at work and have great success and some are terrible but you will probably find that with anything.

Comment

I have a harbor freight floor jack and it works fine.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Originally posted by mike91y2k
              I have a harbor freight floor jack and it works fine.
              Which one did you get and how high is the lift on it? Do you find it high enough for what you need? Thanks!

Comment

The 3 ton orange one that was $90. I call it big bertha.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Originally posted by mike91y2k
                  The 3 ton orange one that was $90. I call it big bertha.
                  Great, it's on sale this week for $80. I think I'll pick one up today. Thanks!

Comment

i need a new one aswell, my michelin jack from sams club lasted me like 7 years and just started leaking out of the shaft
                    most likley a $1 seal, but its not worth my life to try and fix it and have it not hold up when i need it

the main key to a longer jack life, it to jack tthe vehicle up and get it on jack stands then get the weight off the jack,
                    it will seriously lengthen the life of the jack
                    07 G6 GTP
                    00 VW GTI VR6

Comment

well if you want a jack to last look for something along the lines of a mechanics jack. They are tougher and designed to be used a lot. IDK though if you can find a good one for under $150.

Comment

Originally posted by newbiestyle
                        well if you want a jack to last look for something along the lines of a mechanics jack. They are tougher and designed to be used a lot. IDK though if you can find a good one for under $150.
                        Bought a 3 ton Harbor Freight jack for $75 and it's great. Might want to look at them time you need a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by 07GTPBlackAndTan
                          Bought a 3 ton Harbor Freight jack for $75 and it's great. Might want to look at them time you need a new one.
                          I've never heard of them. Where did you get it?

My big question is,

is it mechanic's grade or is it more for a DIY'er?

My buddy does bodywork for a living. He has set of $300 Snap-On sockets. I have a set of $90 evercraft sockets. They look pretty much the same. The difference is how they are built. Snap-On did a demo with that socket set where they hung a mechanics tool cart from the socket handle and the socket didn't break or budge an inch. Now thats a tough tool. Will last him prolly forever. My evercraft sockets on the other hand could not do that same test and would break.

Comment

harbor freight is a store has a bunch of tools and stuff for incredibly cheap. some stuff is ok others you get what you pay for

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                            Originally posted by snowmanG6
                            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by 07GTPBlackAndTan
                              I've never heard of them. Where did you get it?

My big question is,

is it mechanic's grade or is it more for a DIY'er?
                              Yeah, Harbor Freight is the store, the brand I bought was Central Hydraulics. I wouldn't really it mechanics grade, but searching the Z06 and Porsche forums they all suggested HB jacks. I'm not too worried about it. If I get 3 years out of it, it's worth it. I was gonna by a Craftsman jack, but all the reviews said none of them get more than about two years out of the seals.

Comment

Working...
                              X